News Jack Dyer loses 1932 B&F .

If you look at Rhett's website, you can see that one criteria is that only "Best and Fairest" awards are considered. "Best Player", etc. awards are not considered "Best and Fairest". I guess that's for consistency, but personally I'd argue that "Best and Fairest" in today's terms really means "best player" as I'm not sure the coaching staff consider "fairness" in their voting anyway. I don't have a strong opinion either way.

It seems, however, that this thread is solely about Jack Dyer for some weird reason.

edit: Also on Rhett's website you can read some of the documents they used to come to their decision.

If that is why it's been booted (best not best n fairest), that's ridiculous

Are you able to share with us what you have personally seen please Ned?

What drugs are you on? I've seen the same links and articles as everyone else

Stop trying to start fights with everyone. You ain't jebus, people can disagree with you

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL Richmond VFLW AFLW

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
What are the odds that a player in his 2nd year of senior football plays 1/2 a season and wins the B&F? I love Jack but he didn't get his run of B&Fs until 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, and 1946.
What are the odds that a player in his 2nd year of senior footy has 4 best on grounds in 10 games?

What are the odds that a player in his 2nd year of senior footy finishes 5th in the Brownlow despite playing just over half a season?

What are the odds that a player in his 2nd year of senior footy plays state footy for Victoria as an 18 year old?

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL Richmond VFLW AFLW
What are the odds that a player in his 2nd year of senior footy has 4 best on grounds in 10 games?

What are the odds that a player in his 2nd year of senior footy finishes 5th in the Brownlow despite playing just over half a season?

What are the odds that a player in his 2nd year of senior footy plays state footy for Victoria as an 18 year old?
What happened to 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936? and as for 4 best on ground for 4/10 that doesn't win you a B&F in a full season. Try looking at it objectively without emotion.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
(P.S. This stuff is pretty interesting, anyone know if the RFC annual reports from that era are available online?)

I find it interesting that Rhett's website only lists the placegetters down to 4th in 1980, a premiership year. From memory it was reported in Monday's newspapers that Raines had won... being so close to the GF, perhaps nobody was sober enough to record the details!

Pretty bloody impressive that.
I wonder if in90 years they’ll be asking Marlion who? What are the odds of playing your first game in a GF and killing it??👌

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Thanks for making yourself available. Few questions

Who submitted the info to give the 1932 Jack Dyer best and fairest in the 80s ?

What evidence was presented to give the 1932 award to Dyer in the 80s?

Who accepted it from the board in the 80s ?

What proof have you found to change the clubs position now?

a) I won't say who.
b) the 'Most Popular Player' cinema prize, voting on by patrons of a cinema in Richmond.
c) Wasn't put before the board back then
d) It wasn't just me, it was many people as outlined in my earlier post. The proof of no awards those years is through Annual Reports. Minute Books, Newspapers,

Last edited:

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Hi Rhett

Thanks for clearing up a few holes , but my questions are :
1) Why was an award given in 27-29 and then gaps afterwards?
2) Why was it then awarded again in 35 and then ignored in 36?

Surely from all those archives mentioned by you a winner(s) could have been reached in those gap years?
I find it staggering that this had to come to a head now just after the club has finally crawled out of the 37 years of darkness . Wouldn’t it have been more positive and warming if the committee had rewarded these greats rather than removing them from Our honorary boards? To me it would be obvious that there would be enough evidence to suggest that in those years there would have been at least two boys in the mix and rewarding them would be better than obliterating them. Of course relevant footnotes would need to be included.
Thanks again for your efforts on the matter, but I’m still uncertain whether the right outcome has been found.

1) It wasn't a continual award back then until 1940s. The award was adhoc. A donor would provide a prize, and it would be decided what to give that prize for. It may be for say, 'Most Training Attendance', or 'Most Determined', or in some cases 'Best and Fairest'.
2) see above answer.
3) They never received the award in the first place. In those years affected, the club didnt give a best and fairest award.

dustysnecktattoo

Club Legend
May 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
a) I won't say who.
b) I believe it was the 'Most Popular Player' cinema prize, voting on by patrons of a cinema in Richmond.
d) Researching Annual Reports. Minute Books, Newspapers

a - why would that have to be a secret?

b - please tell more about that

c - fair enough

d - what was found worth sharing ?

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
a) I won't say who.
b) the 'Most Popular Player' cinema prize, voting on by patrons of a cinema in Richmond.
d) It wasn't just me, it was many people as outlined in my earlier post. The proof of no awards those years is through Annual Reports. Minute Books, Newspapers,
Thank you for having the courtesy to reply Rhett

I have made it quite clear that I do not agree with this decision, nor do i think we the members should just accept it without full disclosure .

Hopefully the club has the wisdom to re visit this issue.

In any case, I respect the love you have for your father, lets just leave it at that

Be well

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Agree 100%.

Surely those 200 people could invent a time-machine, go back and apply Champion data stats methodologies for every H&A game Richmond ever played pre-WWII.

And while they are there could they take some colour video footage as well, would appreciate it kthanxbi

im on it

0A52BFAE-B001-4023-A8A6-C42FB1E4B663.jpeg

Back