Unpopular Opinions (Association Football version)

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
There should be a "back-court" rule applied globally, like you see in basketball.
Would literally make an awesome sport even better.

Champions League should only be literally the champions of each country competing, and the europa league should become the uefa cup again and just be the cup winners of each country competing. So two teams per country in european comps...thats it!...no more, no less

two teams from spain, from england, from slovakia, from macedonia....you get it

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
A bit of a fuss this morning about the Hammers fans singing the Chelsea 'rent boys' song. It's clearly offensive but I don't think it's homophobic. Just a good piss take of the old Chelsea Aggro song, and started after one of the main Chelsea hooligans was found in bed with a rent boy.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
A bit of a fuss this morning about the Hammers fans singing the Chelsea 'rent boys' song. It's clearly offensive but I don't think it's homophobic. Just a good piss take of the old Chelsea Aggro song, and started after one of the main Chelsea hooligans was found in bed with a rent boy.
Kick it out and a few LGBT groups think it is so i guess theres always that. People find it offensive so would it hurt not to do it?

Me personally, I'd rather just support me boys than focus on the opposition.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Kick it out and a few LGBT groups think it is so i guess theres always that. People find it offensive so would it hurt not to do it?

Me personally, I'd rather just support me boys than focus on the opposition.

I don't think those who have a problem with it have given much detail - about why they think it should be banned. Like many chants, it's designed to be offensive. But which ones should we ban?

Chelsea rent boys.
Chelsea celery song - already banned.
Liverpool fans- all on the dole.
Norwich fans - your sister is your mother etc
David Beckham - Posh Spice takes it up the arse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
I don't think those who have a problem with it have given much detail - about why they think it should be banned. Like many chants, it's designed to be offensive. But which ones should we ban?

Chelsea rent boys.
Chelsea celery song - already banned.
Liverpool fans- all on the dole.
Norwich fans - your sister is your mother etc
David Beckham - Posh Spice takes it up the arse.

I guess you can add anything yid related for Spurs. Pikeys for Hammers and bin dippers for Pool fans too?

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Our new overlords

22460BC2-0307-4F46-BD6E-D45EE1238C31.jpeg

I guess you can add anything yid related for Spurs. Pikeys for Hammers and bin dippers for Pool fans too?
I personally don't care about being called a bin dipper or hearing the sign on, sign on chants towards Liverpool/Everton fans.

it's all petty and in bad taste. pay someone out because the football club they chose to support came into a derby soft and scared, or they're capitulating in this or that way as a club. don't need to get into class or personal struggles or racism. whenever LFC play norwich or a few others clubs (reading or sunderland perhaps come to mind) they sing those stereotypical songs about the dole or whatever pretty early into the game and i just lose respect for them, like they have nothing else to sing after only 8 minutes, that's pathetic but some people have that mentality

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
it's all petty and in bad taste. pay someone out because the football club they chose to support came into a derby soft and scared, or they're capitulating in this or that way as a club. don't need to get into class or personal struggles or racism. whenever LFC play norwich or a few others clubs (reading or sunderland perhaps come to mind) they sing those stereotypical songs about the dole or whatever pretty early into the game and i just lose respect for them, like they have nothing else to sing after only 8 minutes, that's pathetic but some people have that mentality

I can imagine a game under your woke conditions.

Opposite comes close to scoring. Wimbledon clap. "Jolly good show old chap. Good luck next time".

Liverpool playing Norwich "We're all on the dole and scavenging in bins but at least our family tree is not a straight line".
Norwich fans - "stop that please, it's stereotypical and we are not all incestuous".

Opposite comes close to scoring. Wimbledon clap. "Jolly good show old chap. Good luck next time".

Liverpool playing Norwich "We're all on the dole and scavenging in bins but at least our family tree is not a straight line".
Norwich fans - "stop that please, it's stereotypical and we are not all incestuous".

agreed

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn

Or, (and this might be a wild idea to you) fans could have chants that don't target vulnerable groups/people? Comedy isn't about making fun of working class people, LGBT people or people of colour for those aspects of their identity. Good comedy doesn't punch down, it punches up. It's not about being 'woke', it's about having some respect for other people.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Or, (and this might be a wild idea to you) fans could have chants that don't target vulnerable groups/people? Comedy isn't about making fun of working class people, LGBT people or people of colour for those aspects of their identity. Good comedy doesn't punch down, it punches up. It's not about being 'woke', it's about having some respect for other people.
And that is why comedy is now so s**t. Even comics say this. There’s only so many jokes about Trump you can make

Back