Slashing the half time break to 10 minutes

Half time break should be?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Then why is it boomers leading the charge. Most kids go to bed before 8:30. Halving the length of game still isnt going to enable them to watch all of it.
Probably because they Have memories of going to the footy with their dad or geandad on a Saturday arvo, but now can’t because all games are at night.

Probably because they Have memories of going to the footy with their dad or geandad on a Saturday arvo, but now can’t because all games are at night.
It’s only Carlton that play 90% of their games on Friday nights.

if they really want to shorten games a bit how about no time on for the first 5 minutes each quarter? That will cut the game by 10 minutes and might reduce injuries too. Cut half time to 15 minutes (Can’t get food etc in 10)

From first bounce to final siren, how long is a game these days? Three hours?

Attention spans aren't what they used to be.

The average kid today can cycle through three or four different gender identifications in that space of time.

If we still have three-hour matches of AFL by 2030 I'll be surprised.
2.5 hours with all the breaks. Maybe half time can be 15. If you want to reduce the game time then shorten the quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If im attending and need to go to the toilet and get beer, 20 minutes is perfect
If im attending and only need to do one of the above, 15 minutes is perfect
If im at home, just keep it going, 5 minutes is perfect

10 minutes is the worst duration.

If they do this I have a solution for everyone. Just piss in your beer cups and dont leave your seat

they are trying to make the players more tired to reduce congestion ... half hearted rubbish new rules as per usual

they should get rid of the bench, or drastically reduce bench rotations numbers, or make it substitutes (cant come on after going off)

the aflpa are probable not letting it happen

What’s your reasoning for this?
It's like asking your kids what they want for dinner. Unless you want ice-cream with sprinkles every night - they're the last people that should be asked.

Their opinion isn't in the interests of the greater good.

AFL footy is a product aimed at getting as many people as possible to watch it, for as long as possible.

Players are the least qualified people to add value to that discussion. They try to win, and do exactly what their coach tells them to do. What people want to watch is completely irrelevant to a player.

And coaches lose their job if they don't win. They don't get a contract extension if crowd numbers or TV audiences are up.
So they too, don't give the slightest * what people like to watch.

They spend their entire time trying to stifle the opposition's good players from playing attractive footy, and trying to stop the opposition from playing kicking goals. Attractive, free flowing and high scoring footy gives coaches nightmares - WTF would you ask them for guidance on the subject?

The only consultation that should occur with the coaches, is to find out what the side effects of changes will be in terms of the tactics they will introduce as a reaction.

I really don't get this. Have they had any thought to people at the game? I struggle to get back to my seat as it is. I really really hope this doesn't go ahead.

Whoever is suggesting the game is too long, should go back a few years and look at some games from the early 90s.

The big changes I've noticed is that the umpires let the game go way too long before a ball up is called. If they called it as soon as the ball became stationary in a dispute, and then not wait for all the players to crowd around, see who is nominating to go up for the ball up, then let players know where they will be exiting, we would save at least the 5mins. It will also reduce the number of secondary ball ups.

Add to this the boundary throw ups and we immediately have a shorter game.

Then reduce the shet shot clock to 20 seconds (none of the platers having a set shot in the 89 GF took more than 20 seconds. Players are now waiting for 30sec, even if they are ready to go after 20sec. Not to mention the additional time for all the new free kicks...

It seems the AFL's own new rules and interpretations are causing the game to be slower...hmm...best introduce another rule!

It's like asking your kids what they want for dinner. Unless you want ice-cream with sprinkles every night - they're the last people that should be asked.

Their opinion isn't in the interests of the greater good.

AFL footy is a product aimed at getting as many people as possible to watch it, for as long as possible.

Players are the least qualified people to add value to that discussion. They try to win, and do exactly what their coach tells them to do. What people want to watch is completely irrelevant to a player.

And coaches lose their job if they don't win. They don't get a contract extension if crowd numbers or TV audiences are up.
So they too, don't give the slightest fu** what people like to watch.

They spend their entire time trying to stifle the opposition's good players from playing attractive footy, and trying to stop the opposition from playing kicking goals. Attractive, free flowing and high scoring footy gives coaches nightmares - WTF would you ask them for guidance on the subject?

The only consultation that should occur with the coaches, is to find out what the side effects of changes will be in terms of the tactics they will introduce as a reaction.
"AFL footy is a product aimed at getting as many people as possible to watch it, for as long as possible."

I don't think the AFL realise that the shorter the HT break, the less ads they can show...which means...increased food prices!

Back