West Coasters Flag Prospects 2020

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
This is hilarious.

How'd it turn out for your mob when you had to come over and play us at Optus?

Our record at Optus is 77% and we have won 9/12 games at Optus in both 2018 and 2019 H&A plus a 3-0 record in finals at the venue. 9/12 is on par with what our season win/loss record was at Subiaco over the last few years we played there.

In my opinion the ground dimensions help us be a better travelling team and has helped us improve our record at MCG and that enabled us to win the 2018 Premiership against an MCG tennant while also crushing the reigning premiers at our home ground by 47 points.

What's your next uneducated and incorrect theory that you would like me to debunk?

The answer is yes, the Eagles are unbeatable, most fantastic side in the AFL
They will destroy all teams and win every game and final by 10 goals
In the grand final they will win by 100+ points, such is their greatness
No need to say anymore, the Eagles are the most wonderful team that have ever been

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
If you are so tired of hearing about West Coast, why would you come in to a thread discussing West Coast prospects for 2020?

Please post the quote of me banging on about the travel of MCG stuff?

The Eagles are unbeatable, most fantastic side in the AFL, by far
Hope a different side will get a go once the most amazing, fantastic Eagles are thru with their domination

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think they are just behind Richmond for a win in 2020 and I can't see them outside the top 4.

The Hurn and Kennedy factor will be big this year - can they continue at a high level? How many games will they miss? Kennedy showed signs of decline last season but still had a big impact on contested ball. I don't think either player will be replaced any time soon. Both have been A grade for a long time.

2021 - I think they drop to the 5-8 range. I expect them to slide from there, how quick and how far... no idea.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I think they are just behind Richmond for a win in 2020 and I can't see them outside the top 4.

The Hurn and Kennedy factor will be big this year - can they continue at a high level? How many games will they miss? Kennedy showed signs of decline last season but still had a big impact on contested ball. I don't think either player will be replaced any time soon. Both have been A grade for a long time.

2021 - I think they drop to the 5-8 range. I expect them to slide from there, how quick and how far... no idea.

Where to post Hurn & Kennedy - they have been rock solid. The answer is those below 100 games, how they step up.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

Hurn is getting on but he was still had a great season in 2019 and Kennedy is about to have his first pre season in 3/4 years. So I agree with you on 2020

I think many people don't realise how promising our stocks of young talls are. The way in which we transition from Kennedy & Hurn and how our younger players like Allen/Brander/Rotham develop will be the measure for post 2020.

A drop in 2021 and beyond isn't out of the question but the idea that we would somehow drop out of regular finals contention is a bit far fetched.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Hurn is getting on but he was still had a great season in 2019 and Kennedy is about to have his first pre season in 3/4 years. So I agree with you on 2020

I think many people don't realise how promising our stocks of young talls are. The way in which we transition from Kennedy & Hurn and how our younger players like Allen/Brander/Rotham develop will be the measure for post 2020.

A drop in 2021 and beyond isn't out of the question but the idea that we would somehow drop out of regular finals contention is a bit far fetched.

Drop or slide down the ladder? You have to be kidding, surely
This fantastically run club will have sustained success for the next decade, dare I say it, the next 25 years no doubt
Woudn't be surprised to see a premiership tally of 22 by 2025
Did I mention what a wonderful, fantastic, incredible club the Eagles are

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
The Eagles have a tough draw, but a strong list. If they can incorporate some of Richmond's groundball gameplan and build upon the kicking game that has been successful so far, they'll be tough to beat.

Regardless, it's incredibly difficult to win a flag full stop. Harder still from outside of Victoria and hardest from WA.

In my opinion, it's near impossible for a WA based club to win the flag from outside top 2. Fremantle did well to even make the GF but were gassed/overwhelmed when they got there. West Coast will have to make the top 2 and from there anything is possible.

But Richmond is the clear favourite. They're probably the best team going and their home ground is ultimately the only ground that matters. They'll likely face a non-MCG tenant (I just don't see Collingwood making the GF) and will have the upper hand.

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
When you look across the whole organisation and the players in and coming through how can anyone not get it
Eagles>>>>>>>>all other clubs
1575378527097.png

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The answer is yes, the Eagles are unbeatable, most fantastic side in the AFL
They will destroy all teams and win every game and final by 10 goals
In the grand final they will win by 100+ points, such is their greatness
No need to say anymore, the Eagles are the most wonderful team that have ever been

lucky for your massive VFL advantage then...you might have a chance

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
lucky for your massive VFL advantage then...you might have a chance

The only chance Richmond has against the mighty Eagles is no chance
Rance will get slaughtered by Darling, Riewoldt will flop all over the place the rest are a bunch of spuds compared to mighty, monstrous, scary Eagles
Nicnat will have a picnic palming down to Kelly, shuey, yeo, gaff kicking it to kennedy, ryan, darling, cripps. WOW won't get within 15 goals for sure
Won't be a surprise your team will go undefeated, best season in the history of V/AFL, bookmark it
Did I mention what a fantastic, incredible, awesome club that you have, out west

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The only chance Richmond has against the mighty Eagles is no chance
Rance will get slaughtered by Darling, Riewoldt will flop all over the place the rest are a bunch of spuds compared to mighty, monstrous, scary Eagles
Nicnat will have a picnic palming down to Kelly, shuey, yeo, gaff kicking it to kennedy, ryan, darling, cripps. WOW won't get within 15 goals for sure
Won't be a surprise your team will go undefeated, best season in the history of V/AFL, bookmark it
Did I mention what a fantastic, incredible, awesome club that you have, out west
Jump on board mate

2182906E-1B58-4935-AF61-863625BE2C3B.jpeg

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Not after you finish with your dynasty, the next 10+ years are Eagles territory, my fine feathered friend

Aspiration is one thing, I'll start with 2 X GFs in a row, then winning them both, only Adelaide, the Lions, & the Hawks have reached those lofty heights.

Yes, all clubs have them eh Stan ??

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Next year is as good of a chance as any Gun player added. JK and Nic starting full preseasons for the first time in 2/3 years however we have less wriggle room then most given our draw and what not we need to be playing close to 100% for most the season

Next year is as good of a chance as any Gun player added. JK and Nic starting full preseasons for the first time in 2/3 years however we have less wriggle room then most given our draw and what not we need to be playing close to 100% for most the season

As with every premiership team in history minimising key injuries and the right players hitting top form will win the flag, and if we remain inconsistent then we don't deserve the flag anyway.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I'm glad I didn't have high hopes for this thread when I posted in the first couple of pages, because it's turned into a disaster. I feel sorry for those few West Coast and other supporters, who were actually a bit keen to rationally discuss their fortunes in 2020. I probably should know by now.

You are right, not that the Tiges posters add anything much ... you know when injuries feature in an assessment, there is not much substance.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I haven't seen enough of Brander or Rotham to have an opinion. Allen looks like he could develop into a solid B grader. It is hard to tell as he has got the third or fourth tall when Kennedy and Darling are playing. I think it is fair to say that Allen wont develop to be the player Darling is and that while Darling is a different player to Kennedy he isn't on the same level. Kennedy has been very good for a long time.

It is a compliment to Hurn and Kennedy that replacing them will be so difficult. Both of them are champions in their own right and make the players around them look and perform better.

Re: Injuries - I may not be 100% on the detail but didn't both miss games due to soft tissue issues last season (obviously Kennedy missed the first handful lower leg?). I ask as those types of injuries tend to get worse with age. They may be the exception to the rule, but the games per season expectation would be lower wouldn't it? How many games do you expect each of them to play this H&A season?

Back