Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

What if there isn't a narrative to control? That's what I'm getting at; what if the entire thing - aside from SOS leaving - is invented at of whole cloth as a means to sell ad revenue during the offseason?

I mean, we've got precedent as a supporter base which overreacts to things. Go have a look see at how we reacted to Caroline Wilson's depiction of Trigg's dismissal on this site; it's almost a carbon copy of what we have right here, with this one being a mite more intense due to the person leaving being a Carlton great and beloved.

Why should the club respond to what is a) untrue, b) silly, and c) when they've nothing to say concerning a replacement?

I'm starting to think we've been had. Something about all this is too extreme to be true.

Of course there’s a narrative to control. For the last couple of weeks the media have been saying SOS is leaving. And then you get the articles of the last couple of days which are absolutely damning, whether they’re true or not.

The Club is in a bad situation, regardless of what is happening behind the scenes, purely because it looks like we’re in a bad situation. Sometimes perception is reality, so the Club needs to fix this. Even if that only means controlling the narrative.

And moving on a CEO is a very different thing to moving on a list manager. Especially one who is a club legend, and has clearly been doing great work.

I don't know. I can't see that coming about. (Liddle leaving)
Easier to lose one and sell a story, although it being an unpopular story, than to possibly make a further mess of what's already in place.
Why not just sack Liddle then and keep SOS if it was that easy? It's not easy. Too many individuals involved.

Why external? I said months ago that Lloyd must have his fingers over this also.
Liddle has not gone solo on this. This could never ben the case.

Lloyd is up to his ears in this.

100%
Perhaps I should have clarified.

However, when you have someone of SOS' stature leaving the Club, and have known about it for some time, you should be controlling the public narrative.

I have been thinking about this most afternoon. How do you do this? I was thinking, who has more to gain from leaking information regarding this situation? Is it

A) The CEO/CEO supporters who is made to look terrible from everything that has come out
or
B) SOS/SOS supporters, a disgruntled employee (rightly or wrongly) who knows he is leaving and isn't happy, which makes the CEO look terrible

Many posters including myself have been disappointed in how this has played out, posters are bemoaning the affair being played out publicly, all i can think about though, is, there is only one side here, who stands to gain anything from leaking information.

Do you have any thoughts on this? I hope this makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Judd have a conflict of interest if his son Oscar wants to play for the blues...Should MLG be sacked because he employed his mate SOS....the premise of that rationale is ridicoulous.

In answer to your question yes if Sos is being pushed out for conflict of interest than any two of Liddle, Barker and Agresta will need to be moved on.

Why would Judd have a conflict of interest if his boys play for the Blues? Do you think he will still be on the board in 16 years? Let me know what position he holds, ill put a bet on.

Why would MLG be sacked for hiring a highly qualified candidate?

What conflicts of interest do Barker, Agresta and Liddle have?

Ridiculous comparisons.

I want both gone if that’s the case. Lloyd hasn’t really done anything of note, he can be easily replaced. I reckon sos would make a great footy boss

Russell and Power have been two marquee appointments to the football department under Lloyd, plus Diesel back at the club. Someone more in the know can say whether it's Lloyd's doing, but it looks good on face value.

Not sure what you expect the club to say and anything they were to say is just likely to further inflame the situation.

There's a lot of talk on here about us, once again, airing our dirty linen in public but it seems to me that the only crap that is being aired is coming from one quarter. I've seen nothing from the club and expect that any announcement will be accompanied by a resounding endorsement of the contribution by Silvagni.

I cannot see that Liddle's reported incursion into the recruitment area should be a gamechanger. These are grown men and should be capable of a meaningful discussion if one oversteps his boundaries and I can't believe that MLG and the Board haven't tried to steady the ship.

I genuinely think there is a lot more behind this than what we are hearing which has only been one side of this story. I seriously doubt that what we've heard to date is anything but one parties side and if the reasons go deeper than mere demarcation I don't think we need to know that.

If SOS is, indeed, the aggrieved party here I'm staggered that the club would support another individual over him.

Well put, it staggers me, that people think one person can oust another employee, without the support of the rest of the staff and board.

Onfield has been driven by SOS' list build. So if it's going well, how do they explain knifing a Club Legend?

You have written this a few times, how do you know its a knifing? Why constitutes a knifing in your book? I asked JAB a similar question and im not sure he answered it, how does one guy, sack an employee like SOS, if he doesn't have the support of the other staff or board?

If he does have the support of other staff and the board, which i think is evident as, they have obviously approved it, then is it still a knifing and if the board has approved it, then how is the debate still so one sided?

There’s 2 sides to every story.

SOS is clearly unhappy with how he has been treated, nonetheless, those who he is upset with quite likely view their own behaviour as being in the best interests of the Blues, albeit with a touch of self interest.

My understanding is that SOS has chosen to depart, his position isn’t untenable, he is however, clearly unhappy with some senior people at the club and feels that it’s time.

This is different to him being pushed or exited. Like in any role, if you have more unhappy moments than rewarding ones you assess your options and make a decision accordingly, as he has done.

His role was almost complete, we are in great shape and success is likely to follow. With his boys at the club, his own playing legacy and that of his father, SOS will celebrate the club’s success and will always be a blues champion no matter where he goes next...

You have written this a few times, how do you know its a knifing? Why constitutes a knifing in your book? I asked JAB a similar question and im not sure he answered it, how does one guy, sack an employee like SOS, if he doesn't have the support of the other staff or board?

If he does have the support of other staff and the board, which i think is evident as, they have obviously approved it, then is it still a knifing and if the board has approved it, then how is the debate still so one sided?

All sources, in the media and on here, have described it as a power struggle between the two. Liddle has won, and SOS is going, for no apparent reason. I call that a knifing.

The debate seems one sided, because there is no apparent reason for SOS to be going, and he seems to be unhappy about it. The reasons, whether leaked, or stated publicly, need to be explained, or it will always seem very one sided.

Which side of this drawn out saga benefits most from leaking tidbits to the media? Go back the 6 odd weeks on this board and have a read of the ITKs commentary, the articles from the media, the leaking of details of SOS at the board meeting. ALL of it, makes the CEO look like a tit.

Who would leak that?

The CEO to sabotage his position
or
A disgruntled employee about to leave?

Yet, we complain that there is leaks, ask yourself, which side of this gains the most from the leaks? Its not the club and its not the CEO

If things are so bad at the club between SOS and others, then why hasn't SOS left yet?

Something not adding up for mine..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back