Player Watch Dayne Beams (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update. Beams hasn’t been training this week or last. Mental health is the reason he has given.

Word from inside the club is he will likely never be in a position to play again.

I can tell you the players and officials are all completely over him. If only you knew half of what has gone on with him.
Your 7 post history gives me much reason to believe you’re legit.

I do understand and agree with what was laid out early. Our midfield functioned better as a unit with a contested beast, be it Sier or Wills, than it has with Beams in it. Beams cannot work with a combination of Sidebottom, Treloar and Pendlebury also attending the stoppage.

I’d love for one of Sidey and Beams at the very least to become a high damage half forward flanker type permanently, and in Sidey’s case would prefer him crumbing in a forward pocket like he did quite effectively on occasion a decade ago. We can’t play the mix we tried to start the season with consistently, our balance is too out of whack with it and there’s too much sameness for it to be effective.

Lenny153

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I do understand and agree with what was laid out early. Our midfield functioned better as a unit with a contested beast, be it Sier or Wills, than it has with Beams in it. Beams cannot work with a combination of Sidebottom, Treloar and Pendlebury also attending the stoppage.

I’d love for one of Sidey and Beams at the very least to become a high damage half forward flanker type permanently, and in Sidey’s case would prefer him crumbing in a forward pocket like he did quite effectively on occasion a decade ago. We can’t play the mix we tried to start the season with consistently, our balance is too out of whack with it and there’s too much sameness for it to be effective.
All good hopes but beams won’t be playing next year.

Thank god we've got someone fighting for the underdog multinational corporations.
It doesn’t change the fact that the poster is spot on with his assessment. To endorse a product for cash and then trash them the second you move onto another company is exceptionally poor.

All good hopes but beams won’t be playing next year.
Given I’m talking about how we structure up I don’t see why you need to bother responding to my post with your agenda. Really a waste of both of our time.

I don’t like your smartarse tone one bit irrespective of if you’re ultimately right about him or not.

Lenny153

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Given I’m talking about how we structure up I don’t see why you need to bother responding to my post with your agenda. Really a waste of both of our time.

I don’t like your smartarse tone one bit irrespective of if you’re ultimately right about him or not.
Where was the smart arse tone exactly?

Where was the smart arse tone exactly?
The entire post reads that way. “All good hopes but Beams won’t be playing this year”.

You’ve laid out what you believe to be the situation with Beams. There’s nothing to say it’s definitely right and it comes across as though you’re just trying to quash any discussion of where a listed player for season 2020 will play. He might not play, and you might be correct but I don’t think the manner in which you’re talking about the situation (ie as if there’s no possibility of his return whatsoever) is appropriate. Reads to me like you’re talking down on anyone trying to partake in the conversation.

I’ll allow the benefit of the doubt because you don’t have a posting history - I shouldn’t have bit back, so sorry.

Lol i believe after all of the tangent walkabouts and robust debate about the socially-defining challenges and moral dilemmas we are facing as a society, that was precisely the point we're all in varying degrees of agreement or not about. Some of us think that sure Beamsy, the boots might be s**t but the shoe obviously fit when they were paying you to say how good they were which you had no problem with and fulfilled your end of the commercial arrangement no probs everyones a winner and winners are grinners. But to turn around when theyre no longer paying you to be a insta mouthpiece just like any other plastic 'influencer' out there, and say the boots u previously extolled the virtues of are s**t and then use it to pimp the rival product of whos currently bankrolling and thus dictating to you what your personal style and tastes are...it makes you look like a dick. An ungrateful and completely un-self-aware dick at that who doesnt realise hes just making himself look like he'll sell his soul to the highest bidder and theres no real genuineness behind the shameless pimping of commercial inducements to his thousands of little kid fans, who'll then no doubt run and beg nag scream and cajole their poor parents into buying the same footy boots as beamer wears. But they're too young and innocent to the wicked and insidious ways of the world to realise theyre simply buying a lie and their behaviour as "consumers" is being manipulated. And think beamsy should have at least retained what little shred of dignity he has left after all this influencing monkey business hes engaging in by maintaining a somewhat dignified silence in that you dont slag off your ex anythings in public, its an unwritten rule in life.

Others are of the opinion that he has mental illness so that excuses him from the scrutiny or reproach of anyone, either that or because he's back in the black...and white 😂
I agree with a lot of what you said, but do you think you may be making a ridiculously big deal about a throw away line against a brand of runners?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anti rant - like all our kids he lives in the bubble that is Collingwood football player - anything he says or does, or doesn't say or do will be commented upon and usually unfavourably.

If he wants to deride a club sponsor publicly then YOU and others need to accept that adults will see that as immature for an AFL footballer.

Aren't Nike the club boot sponsor? I'd have thought NB was a personal sponsorship arrangement.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's not a question of backing him or not

As a collingwood player he has my unswerving support

BUT

He is immature and erratic in his personal life - if he wants to go public in condemnation of a club sponsor then he and YOU should understand that there are consequences for that.

Wow, a person with mental health issues is erratic.... who'd have thunk it!

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
It doesn’t change the fact that the poster is spot on with his assessment. To endorse a product for cash and then trash them the second you move onto another company is exceptionally poor.
It depends what has occurred in the corporate relationship. The thing is - none of us know. It's not unlikely that they dumped him due to his mental health issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am really disliking the way this thread is going
I’m wth you on that.

For such a quality player, who is on our list, who has problems health wise, a lot is being said.
way too much.

very sad actually.

id rather our players get healthy and play well. And be left alone when required.

(So much said about a post on social media, good bad or indifferent. Not bizarre as it’s social media.)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don’t really care. Wait till it’s reported then.

Some supporters really need to be less tribal when it comes to their own players and acknowledge when one is a poor person.
That might very well be true.

equally, some supporters could be less cruel and gleeful when things aren’t good with one of their own.
As brave as those posters are being so flawless themselves.

Though, sometimes it’s a poor person attempting to point out another person is less than perfect.

Lenny153

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
That might very well be true.

equally, some supporters could be less cruel and gleeful when things aren’t good with one of their own.
As brave as those posters are being so flawless themselves.

Though, sometimes it’s a poor person attempting to point out another person is less than perfect.
Less than perfect? If you knew the full extent of some of the things he’s done, you’d be describing him as a bit more than less than perfect.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Less than perfect? If you knew the full extent of some of the things he’s done, you’d be describing him as a bit more than less than perfect.
Well that’s nice.
im not a hanging posse kind of guy.

its irrelevant if he’s a good or less than good guy.

all I know:
he’s on the list. Fact.
hes a quality player. Fact.
he plays well, we’re better, Fact.
people that are anonymous on the internet will bag him, fact.

lets leave it there.

Aug 24, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure what the big deal is, it’s gotta be the easiest rumour in the world to speculate on right now, especially given the 4 month window given to it.

It’s information we knew months ago, not like this poster has any ground breaking information

Am I alone in not really caring about what the blokes who wear Collingwood jumpers are like off-field? There's 47 of them on the list. Some of them are probably great blokes. Some probably aren't. Either way you're not going to find out from a quip on social media or from innuendo from a stranger who is probably also a stranger to most of the 47. Off field, our players are no more interesting than any other section of society. In fact I'd suggest that many of the footballers that I've met seem less interesting than the average punter. I hope they all have healthy and happy lives, but that goes for all members of society.

If Beams gets back to his best, he's a star on the field. That's what I care about. Fingers crossed that he gets his body and mind right and helps the club win a flag.

Am I alone in not really caring about what the blokes who wear Collingwood jumpers are like off-field? There's 47 of them on the list. Some of them are probably great blokes. Some probably aren't. Either way you're not going to find out from a quip on social media or from innuendo from a stranger who is probably also a stranger to most of the 47. Off field, our players are no more interesting than any other section of society. In fact I'd suggest that many of the footballers that I've met seem less interesting than the average punter. I hope they all have healthy and happy lives, but that goes for all members of society.

If Beams gets back to his best, he's a star on the field. That's what I care about. Fingers crossed that he gets his body and mind right and helps the club win a flag.

I agree (within reason). I'd be loathe to support a player whose values go against everything I stand for but I have no expectation that footballers are paradigms of virtue. The reality of it is that most of them are young and pampered with a sense of entitlement that is reserved for sportspeople and rock stars.

Beams made a mistake speaking out about a sponsor. Maybe New Balance refused to honor a payment when he pulled out of football which led to his resentment. We don't know; people f* up, which he did.

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree with a lot of what you said, but do you think you may be making a ridiculously big deal about a throw away line against a brand of runners?
Of course, but as our friend Daicos Torpedo said, we have nothing but rumours, conjecture and bugalugs down at the TAB with which to sustain ourselves and this forum until March rolls around 😂 and with that im going to scurry back into my burrow and wont pop back up again unti then. This is what happens when one breaks with tradition and returns to this board outside of the normal March - October programming 🤣

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
It depends what has occurred in the corporate relationship. The thing is - none of us know. It's not unlikely that they dumped him due to his mental health issues.
Sorry one more post before i return to hibernation, im sure that if NB were as poor a corporate citizen and had shown such allround s**t blokery as to terminate their agreement because of that he would have called them out on it? And rightly so. Im not sure whoever in their compliance department would have allowed that to get through though as it would be a litigation nightmare, and one theyd lose in a second. Rightly so to that too.

Of course, but as our friend Daicos Torpedo said, we have nothing but rumours, conjecture and bugalugs down at the TAB with which to sustain ourselves and this forum until March rolls around 😂 and with that im going to scurry back into my burrow and wont pop back up again unti then. This is what happens when one breaks with tradition and returns to this board outside of the normal March - October programming 🤣

Don't scurry away. I always enjoy reading your stuff. Beautifully written, indeepndent thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back