Rumour AFL expansion

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Tassie? Andrew Demtriou will be rolling in his grave at the thought of this.
The sooner they make an actual Tassie team, the sooner I can stop being scared of the Saints being moved there.
True but when the standard gets even worse you will be scared of the afl not continuing to want as many Victorian clubs

No Tassie. No 20 side comp.

Not happening for at least 30-50 years. The economic and sustainable blueprints do not exist. Repeat. Do not exist.

given your track record on your mail. it's a safe bet its going to happen then.

saintkildaman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Tassie need to produce more AFL talent, simple. Hopefully with the inclusion into the TAC cup that will improve but until then no expansion talks can be genuine. Gold Coast struggles to attract/retain talent, imagine Tasmania if they had an extended stint at the bottom of the ladder.. they’d crash and burn in my opinion.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
The standard of footy would be vfl standard if that happened. It’s bad enough as it is. Also doubt either state could support a new side especially wa.
pluggs i know you are the master of all that is local footy but when t comes to WA footy you dont know your elbow from your ear ....
WA as a state holds more AFL team memberships than any state outside of Victoria, if there was any state that could take up another team it would be WA. from a sponsorship level a third club in WA would in its first year rival the majority of AFL in its ability to secure naming right sponsors (lots of businesses in WA, big player compaines want to get involved currently but cant due to the two team town), form a membership stand point given the expected influx of people heading to WA in the next 15 years due to the bounce back in resources and the people already disllusioned with not being able to attend WCE or Freo games they will sell memberships ...
the concern is that it would effectivly kill the WAFL, interstate suporter groups will lose numbers as people jump on the new team .

marketed corectly and managed properly a third WA club could not only be a real thing but it could potentially be a huge thing

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Haggers also reported that Nat Fyfe was a lock to head to St Kilda. He just makes stuff up
i dont think he was that far off with that one ... i think there were many who were of that thought ... even people at our club

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
pluggs i know you are the master of all that is local footy but when t comes to WA footy you dont know your elbow from your ear ....
WA as a state holds more AFL team memberships than any state outside of Victoria, if there was any state that could take up another team it would be WA. from a sponsorship level a third club in WA would in its first year rival the majority of AFL in its ability to secure naming right sponsors (lots of businesses in WA, big player compaines want to get involved currently but cant due to the two team town), form a membership stand point given the expected influx of people heading to WA in the next 15 years due to the bounce back in resources and the people already disllusioned with not being able to attend WCE or Freo games they will sell memberships ...
the concern is that it would effectivly kill the WAFL, interstate suporter groups will lose numbers as people jump on the new team .

marketed corectly and managed properly a third WA club could not only be a real thing but it could potentially be a huge thing
Excellent way to start on conversation. It’s funny how big the chip on the shoulder is with some wa people. There is no chance of a third wa side in the near future. Certainly not unless you can guarantee the mining boom will continue. I’m doubting that is possible. Don’t worry we can’t all be a big as the mighty Victoria. And the main reason we aren’t getting a third wa side is simple. We haven’t got the players.

Last edited:
A lot of peeps always say relocate Gold Coast to Tassie.
Surely a true relocate can't happen with that team.?
Obviously you can't call a team in Tassie " Gold Coast" and with all due respect to the weather down there a Tasmanian team called the Suns is faarrking ridiculous as well.
For example the Tassie Kangaroos/Demons etc sounds heaps better.
So you couldn't merge The Sun's Club down there like they did tacking the "Fitzroy" LIONS onto Brisbane yrs ago.
Have to just shut it down then start a new team from scratch.
And no way known is the AFL gonna admit they stuffed up putting GC up there.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Tassie? Andrew Demtriou will be rolling in his grave at the thought of this.
The sooner they make an actual Tassie team, the sooner I can stop being scared of the Saints being moved there.
Didn't realise Andrew Demetriou had passed on!

Understand your thinking about Tassie and the Saints, but if they were to add 2 more sides in Tassie
And another from WA.....Then the AFL will eventually turn to the Melb clubs looking for a team or two to cull!

A lot of peeps always say relocate Gold Coast to Tassie.
Surely a true relocate can't happen with that team.?
Obviously you can't call a team in Tassie " Gold Coast" and with all due respect to the weather down there a Tasmanian team called the Suns is faarrking ridiculous as well.
Nah; it's always beach weather in Tasmania, even in the middle of winter :cool:

images

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Excellent way to start on conversation. It’s funny how big the chip on the shoulder is with some wa people. There is no chance of a third wa side in the near future. Certainly not unless you can guarantee the mining boom will continue. I’m doubting that is possible. Don’t worry we can’t all be a big as the mighty Victoria. And the main reason we aren’t getting a third wa side is simple. We haven’t got the players.
what chip on the shoulder ... if anything you are the one who holds a chip on your shoulder that someone dare know more about something than you do ... believe it or not its not about wanting to be as big as victoria its purely a commercial exercise..
your logic with not having the players is solid if the main top priority was the state of the game but its not the 1990's any more the state on the game is a much lower priority than the commercial aspect of the game.. if TV wants more games generated by more teams and they are willing to put up the billions of dollars to secure the rights to broadcast them the AFL will supply to meet the demand..

im guessing your understanding of the resources sector of WA is even less than your understanding of footy in WA so im not even going to eleaborate on that with you as you wont understand it and all it will do is irritate me with your lack of comprehension and bore the living crap out of every other poster in here having to skim past the hundreds of go-nowhere posts..

but as it stands the comment i made remains true and correct even with your objections to it if there was any state that could facilitate a new team for the AFL then WA would be just about the only one that could , thats not saying it should , thats not saying its happpening next year but if the AFL were desperate to allow Tassie in but it needed a second team to join as well to even up the numbers then the WA option would be the strongest and most logical answer and honestly for us as is much preferable to the AFL going down the "relocation" path with bringing tassie into the fold

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Really. Never heard that. We were no hope of ever getting Fyffe.
i dont think that news made it to the club rooms of Ormond AFC....
but the run of events was that Fyfes managment gave st Kilda a number needed to secure Fyfe and the club were able to meet that number so there was a feeling of excitment around it , Fyfes managment then came back and upped the number needed to get him to move and the club could accomodate that number as well , Fyfes managment then came back with a third number and the saints managment saw the writing on the wall and withdrew and looked at other options, but it worked out well for Fyfe as he got what he wanted from Freo by using the option of going to st Kilda as leverage ... so yes he was NEVER going to come to the Saints but for a period of time St Kilda felt he might , and Freo felt he might

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

Understand your thinking about Tassie and the Saints, but if they were to add 2 more sides in Tassie
And another from WA.....Then the AFL will eventually turn to the Melb clubs looking for a team or two to cull!
not if the TV deal is in question ... the AFL will operate to best serve its interest in where it makes its money from so as long as the TV rights is still going up each time its up for review the AFL will run things to appease that

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda

Good point! And he’s definitely still alive, I just have it on good authority he sleeps in coffins. During the daylight hours especially.

Lenny2020

Cancelled
Feb 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
but the run of events was that Fyfes managment gave st Kilda a number needed to secure Fyfe and the club were able to meet that number so there was a feeling of excitment around it , Fyfes managment then came back and upped the number needed to get him to move and the club could accomodate that number as well , Fyfes managment then came back with a third number and the saints managment saw the writing on the wall and withdrew and looked at other options, but it worked out well for Fyfe as he got what he wanted from Freo by using the option of going to st Kilda as leverage ... so yes he was NEVER going to come to the Saints but for a period of time St Kilda felt he might , and Freo felt he might

But I feel like both clubs should’ve understood that Fyfe’s agent was just doing textbook negotiating. Certainly the way I would do it if I was an agent. Never thought he’d come here in a million years so I’d expect Saints people thought the same.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
But I feel like both clubs should’ve understood that Fyfe’s agent was just doing textbook negotiating. Certainly the way I would do it if I was an agent. Never thought he’d come here in a million years so I’d expect Saints people thought the same.
i think this time it was a little further involved ... normally its just discussions back and forth when they "play the game" from wht ive heard this was a bit more in depth with contracts drawn up and expected signatures to be returned not just the normal run of the mill "we will offer you $$$$ " stuff

The old Ferrari vs Ford trick.

Somehow beating Freo for revenge won't be such a big deal.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
what chip on the shoulder ... if anything you are the one who holds a chip on your shoulder that someone dare know more about something than you do ... believe it or not its not about wanting to be as big as victoria its purely a commercial exercise..
your logic with not having the players is solid if the main top priority was the state of the game but its not the 1990's any more the state on the game is a much lower priority than the commercial aspect of the game.. if TV wants more games generated by more teams and they are willing to put up the billions of dollars to secure the rights to broadcast them the AFL will supply to meet the demand..

im guessing your understanding of the resources sector of WA is even less than your understanding of footy in WA so im not even going to eleaborate on that with you as you wont understand it and all it will do is irritate me with your lack of comprehension and bore the living crap out of every other poster in here having to skim past the hundreds of go-nowhere posts..

but as it stands the comment i made remains true and correct even with your objections to it if there was any state that could facilitate a new team for the AFL then WA would be just about the only one that could , thats not saying it should , thats not saying its happpening next year but if the AFL were desperate to allow Tassie in but it needed a second team to join as well to even up the numbers then the WA option would be the strongest and most logical answer and honestly for us as is much preferable to the AFL going down the "relocation" path with bringing tassie into the fold
Haha

Back