Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Hmmmm not sure I'd go that far, especially when we're not even sure yet how Stephens will be used (ie inside or outside or both, or maybe even HBF as he starts, who knows) I think if Stephens with his run and class can impact our team, and he's showcasing that in the NEAFL, then that would be enough for me to want to see him at senior level. I just doubt anything he produces at this stage of his career will be better than what Gray or Taylor, who are both around the 100-game mark, could produce. Ditto Gould with guys like O'Riordan and Melican.

I reckon it's an interesting debate though whether it's more beneficial to a player's development to have a NEAFL apprenticeship (Mitchell, Hewett, Dawson) or just slot straight in and play senior footy from basically day one (Heeney, Mills, Hayward, Papley)
I believe Dawson himself has said he needed to be fitter (despite carving up the NEAFL). Mitchell is an odd one. He was kept back for reasons I'm not aware of. Hewett seems to have benefitted. The other 4 were all as hard as nails from day 1.
Horses for courses.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Just with a fit Naismith minimising where our midfielders need to guess where the ball will go will improve our centre clearances by a huge percentage.

At the very least, Naismith will have opposition midfielders needing to work significantly harder than they have had to in the previous season we haven't had a dominant tap ruckman.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
In the 2 years Naismith has missed, as a team we won 736 hit outs in 2018 (15th) & 628 in 2019 (17th).
This is down from 974 in 2017 (7th) & 1042 in our GF year 2016 (4th).
We have always been a great stoppage team so we rely on this more than most teams.
So yes, I stand by my opinion that in our case, we definitely will improve with Naismith as our number one ruckman for the first time since 2017.

From 2016 to 2019, we have lost 414 hit outs. We have been a fairly efficient scoring team when going forward so it can only help us while at the same time, relieving much of the pressure on our defence when the opposition knew where their ruckman would likely tap the ball.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
In the 2 years Naismith has missed, as a team we won 736 hit outs in 2018 (15th) & 628 in 2019 (17th).
We have always been a great stoppage team so we rely on this more than most teams.
So yes, I stand by my opinion that in our case, we definitely will improve with Naismith as our number one ruckman for the first time since 2017.

From 2016 to 2019, we have lost 414 hit outs. We have been a fairly efficient scoring team when going forward so it can only help us while at the same time, relieving much of the pressure on our defence when the opposition knew where their ruckman would likely tap the ball.

Absolutely.. Our midfield will be dramatically improved if Naismith can play in 2020. and the support that will give to both our defenders and forwards is huge.
Our midfield is going through a massive overhaul. Kennedy, Parker and Cunningham are the only 100 game midfielders left.
To get first use of the ball and cleaner clearance will be massive for the young crew, especially with all the new outside pace

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney

Ted
You seem to be a fan. (He don't impress me much , queue music)

I am in agreement (from the sidelines) that Sinclair TO HIS GREAT CREDIT with effort is NOT up to lead Ruck duties.

But surely hey have thought of back up and maybe longer term plan

Gould rooming/flatmate with Amartey is master stroke reeking of encouragement …. "watch me do it" ATTTTTTTIUDE!

Gould to flatten out the first Crow ,that dares to intimidate Stephens Round 1 in Adelaide!

You know I am always right!

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Ted

I am in agreement (from the sidelines) that Sinclair TO HIS GREAT CREDIT with effort is NOT up to lead Ruck duties.

Gould rooming/flatmate with Amartey is master stroke reeking of encouragement …. "watch me do it" ATTTTTTTIUDE!

Gould to flatten out the first Crow ,that dares to intimidate Stephens Round 1 in Adelaide!

Why wait until he is intimidated. Always preemptive strike I say

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Ted

We just need Naismith to tap it down our midfielder's throats more often than they have had in the last 2 years Corpsy.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Luke Parker ...

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Parker will be leading our on-ball brigade. Some of my esteemed colleagues on this board seem to want some of our best mids playing permanently in the forward line for some reason. I personally don't get it.

There's a lot of anecdotal opinions formed about players' performances but stats tell a different story. A lot of players get unjustly flamed on here.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I’ll have a bash at it.

B Lloyd/ - Brand - Rampe
Maibaum

HB Gould - Alir - Ling

C Stephens - Parker- Blakey

HF Heeney - Franklin- Dawson

F Papley. - Reid - Hayward

R Naismith - Kennedy- Mills

IC. L Taylor - Hewett - Warner- Mccartin

am super impressed by draftees 3 included from day 1. ling had a shocker ride but was pick 14 and earmarked to start year 1. Mills to mids. Fingers crossed Brand. Warner a young workhorse. A lot has to go right but you don’t conceive of a dream going sour. Blakey and Stephens with the after Burners. Dawson with his kicking on HF. Slaughter all the pretenders

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I’ll have a bash at it.

B Lloyd/ - Brand - Rampe
Maibaum

HB Gould - Alir - Ling

am super impressed by draftees 3 included from day 1. ling had a shocker ride but was pick 14 and earmarked to start year 1. Mills to mids. Fingers crossed Brand. Warner a young workhorse. A lot has to go right but you don’t conceive of a dream going sour. Blakey and Stephens with the after Burners. Dawson with his kicking on HF. Slaughter all the pretenders
I like your optimism but it's a big call saying three first year draftees go straight into the best 22. Looking at the list now we thankfully have a few more multiple options for positions which is encouraging.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I like your optimism but it's a big call saying three first year draftees go straight into the best 22. Looking at the list now we thankfully have a few more multiple options for positions which is encouraging.

Probably 4 including Ling and yes it is optimistic. lol too much glass half full perhaps lol need to fit Florent in in too

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I’ll have a bash at it.

B Lloyd/ - Brand - Rampe
Maibaum

HB Gould - Alir - Ling

you couldn't find a spot for Rowbottom, Cunningham, Florent?
what about Grey, Ronke, COR ??

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
you couldn't find a spot for Rowbottom, Cunningham, Florent?
what about Grey, Ronke, COR ??

Crap don’t let me be coach lol of those I think rowbottom & Florent are in’s for sure. So Warner goes. unsure the second. COR Cunningham and Ronke are all fringe imo.

Last edited:
Parker will be leading our on-ball brigade. Some of my esteemed colleagues on this board seem to want some of our best mids playing permanently in the forward line for some reason. I personally don't get it.

There's a lot of anecdotal opinions formed about players' performances but stats tell a different story. A lot of players get unjustly flamed on here.

I'll bite since the first paragraph is obviously directed at anyone who has dared doubt Parker, or dared question our midfield.

Observing that a player is being misused in a role is not the same as roasting them. ie. I firmly believe Parker & Heeney are both far better forwards than they are midfielders. That does not mean I think they're bad players, rather I think they're just not being used correctly. You're free to disagree but it doesn't I'm 'flaming' the player in question.

Best 28

Lance Franklin
Luke Parker
Isaac Heeney
Dane Rampe
George Hewett
Jake Lloyd
Aliir Aliir
Josh Kennedy
Tom Papley
Callum Mills
Harry Cunningham
Nick Blakey
Sam Gray
Oliver Florent
Jordan Dawson
Will Hayward
Callum Sinclair
Tom McCartin
Sam Reid
Sam Naismith
Colin O'Riordan
Lewis Taylor
Kaiden Brand
Lewis Melican
Ben Ronke
James Rowbottom

Based on history there will be 1-2 draftees in our best 28. I've allowed for 2 because we had higher picks than usual and a young squad

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Here's my imperfect crack at it.

B: Dane Rampe, Tom McCartin, Jake Lloyd
HB: Jordan Dawson, Aliir Aliir, Callum Mills
C: Isaac Heeney, Josh Kennedy, Ollie Florent
HF: Lewis Taylor, Lance Franklin, Nick Blakey
F: Will Hayward, Sam Reid, Tom Papley
FOLL: Sam Naismith, George Hewett, Luke Parker
I/C: Sam Gray, James Rowbottom, Kaiden Brand, Harry Cunningham

That's still leaving out COR, Ronke and even Dylan Stephens who has to prove himself a bit before he walks into the side. Could be a gun though.

I think Lewis Taylor is a significant upgrade on Ronke and can release Heeney into the midfield. Sam Gray could pinch hit in the midfield or half forward flank and is certainly good enough to be first 22. Cunningham before his injury was playing great and can cover halfback flank and wing. Brand our tall timber sub. Rowbottom rotating through the midfield playing on the ball.

Gould looks really impressive and may push into the side in time. Melican may be depth now depending on how McCartin develops down back and what Brand can do for us.

Have at me!

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Crap don’t let me be coach lol
Its hard hey.. I had a crack and couldn't find a spot for Florent, Grey, Sinclare, Melican, Clarke, McLean or any of the guys who haven't played yet.
Florent will definitely be in the best 22, Grey probably should be, and Id love to see Mclean, Stephens, Ling, E Taylor and Gould in there sometime very soon

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Best 28

Lance Franklin
Luke Parker
Isaac Heeney
Dane Rampe
George Hewett
Jake Lloyd
Aliir Aliir
Josh Kennedy
Tom Papley
Callum Mills
Harry Cunningham
Nick Blakey
Sam Gray
Oliver Florent
Jordan Dawson
Will Hayward
Callum Sinclair
Tom McCartin
Sam Reid
Sam Naismith
Colin O'Riordan
Lewis Taylor
Kaiden Brand
Lewis Melican
Ben Ronke
James Rowbottom

Based on history there will be 1-2 draftees in our best 28. I've allowed for 2 because we had higher picks than usual and a young squad
Stephens and Gould?

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I'll bite since the first paragraph is obviously directed at anyone who has dared doubt Parker, or dared question our midfield.

Observing that a player is being misused in a role is not the same as roasting them. ie. I firmly believe Parker & Heeney are both far better forwards than they are midfielders. That does not mean I think they're bad players, rather I think they're just not being used correctly. You're free to disagree but it doesn't I'm 'flaming' the player in question.
And I thoroughly disagree with you which makes the discussion so interesting.

Back