General MFC Discussion 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't wait to see us play TMac, Jackson, Weideman, Petty and Preuss all in the same forward line.

Will go you one better; Gawn, Preuss, Jackson and the Weid starting in the centre square. Such big-bodied brilliance.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Simon Goodwin at the forum.
Now this may just be me, but looking at Glen Bartlett's face and body-language during Simon Goodwin's speech had me picturing that he might at any stage, leap up from his chair in an anguished scream of terror and tackle Goodwin to the floor and rain blows upon him until he begs for mercy. But that may just be me...

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Now this may just be me, but looking at Glen Bartlett's face and body-language during Simon Goodwin's speech had me picturing that he might at any stage, leap up from his chair in an anguished scream of terror and tackle Goodwin to the floor and rain blows upon him until he begs for mercy. But that may just be me...
Could explain why Goody sounded so nervous

The last few years, I've done a "let's construct our best 22" thing, with polls for each line. If anybody wants to do that over the off-season, feel free!
Do we DM you our resumes or do we call "DIBS" and start pumping out threads?

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Some interesting analysis here. https://www.dontblamethedata.com/blog/age-of-best-players/

Basically, they rank the average age of the best players on your list - with the 'best' players being judged by the top 10 players in the teams B&F (then factoring off-season player movement etc).

We ranked last - meaning our best players were the youngest in the league in 2019.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nice analysis and it's why I've always found raw averages of lists stupid - it's much more important how experienced/inexperienced your best players are as a guage of future potential.

Club bnfs are a bit strange voting wise, id like to see the same analysis done but with a more robust measure for performance. Maybe bnfs in conjunction with AA/coaches votes.

It's also good as it shows North are trash and going nowhere

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Some interesting analysis here. https://www.dontblamethedata.com/blog/age-of-best-players/

Basically, they rank the average age of the best players on your list - with the 'best' players being judged by the top 10 players in the teams B&F (then factoring off-season player movement etc).

We ranked last - meaning our best players were the youngest in the league in 2019.
Now that would be a great main board post, I got into it on a thread about average list age because I think that's one of the dumbest metrics you can use to gauge a list. As an example adding Brown and Bennell to our list upped our average list age by .5 despite the fact they are essentially the 43rd and 44th most valuable players on the list.
Richmond were ranked 7th and a 0.5 swing either way either moved them to oldest or 14th last.

I also said it would be a better metric to measure your best players so your top 10-12 on the list.
Great data.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Nice analysis and it's why I've always found raw averages of lists stupid - it's much more important how experienced/inexperienced your best players are as a guage of future potential.

Club bnfs are a bit strange voting wise, id like to see the same analysis done but with a more robust measure for performance. Maybe bnfs in conjunction with AA/coaches votes.

It's also good as it shows North are trash and going nowhere
The North ranking appealed to me

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
CBF starting a thread so Happy whatever you are celebrating , or not ,and stay safe.
Happy Christmas jhong and Melbourne board

B7182338-0248-4BB3-B9DD-A3245F247815.jpeg

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Now that would be a great main board post, I got into it on a thread about average list age because I think that's one of the dumbest metrics you can use to gauge a list. As an example adding Brown and Bennell to our list upped our average list age by .5 despite the fact they are essentially the 43rd and 44th most valuable players on the list.
Richmond were ranked 7th and a 0.5 swing either way either moved them to oldest or 14th last.

I also said it would be a better metric to measure your best players so your top 10-12 on the list.
Great data.

Average age of the list is crap, I reckon average age of your best 22 is a better indicator (And even then can be misleading).

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Does the age of your list actual matter at all? Couldnt give a * if our list was the youngest, oldest or middle of the pack it means * all if we are still mud nor does it matter if you are constantly making the 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back