Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

I'd be spewing paying that much for what he has done so far. I know he has ability, but he barely touches the footy.
True, was playing in a pretty stacked East Freo side for the most part though and there is only so much football to go around. Hope he gets moved to a wing next year so we can really see what he can do, he was one of like 5 under agers picked in the WA squad so plenty of people clearly rate him.

After seeing Freddy’s ridiculous highlight reel I realised even more so that I have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about when it comes to identifying talent so I’ll defer to those who do. The more peeps I see popping Western and Walker in top 20s the happier I’ll be.

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
He was racking up being amongst the best quickly before he got injured. His form tailed off immediately after the injury.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
DRILL 2: For those wanting match simulation, we didn't quite get there but we did get closer today. Longmuir started with the ball, in the first instances he told them to force the turnover from him, at which point they then went on the counter attack and had to kick the goal. Later on Longy moved to the wing and kicked to a player in defensive 50m where they then had to go forward to kick the goal. After each goal their was a run all players had to do before the drill restarted - Largely I think focusing on execution whilst fatigued.
Great stuff FreoBraddles, with this quoted drill, how much defensive pressure was there on the ball movement from d50 to attacking goal?
Thanks.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nope. Too many games.

“to be eligible for nomination, the player must be aged 20 or under on 1 January that year, and have played ten or fewer AFL games as of the start of the season.”
Is there another award for best young player, under 21 at the end of season?

If not, I'd nominate Brayshaw for most courageous.

hoopdaloop

Debutant
Nov 20, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great stuff FreoBraddles, with this quoted drill, how much defensive pressure was there on the ball movement from d50 to attacking goal?
Thanks.
(not FreoBraddles so apologies) There wasn't a whole lot in this particular drill, other than the initial tackle on Longy to get the ball off him. It seemed to be mostly a zoning off and focus on moving the ball quickly at 45s, identifying targets in quick succession.
A different drill where there was two teams moving the ball quickly down the wings at one point had JL stop the drill and give them a quick spray telling them that despite it being an offensive focused drill, that doesn't mean the defence should be slacking off, and the pressure went up after that which was good to see

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
THE REST

Today's session seemed to go for a little bit longer, and was quite a punishing session with lots of running and some new drills (at least from what I've seen over the pre season). You could tell the players where pushed with pretty much all of them looking buggered when they finally came in to end the session.

One of the first warm ups they did were runs between the two 50m arcs - A few observations. Aish has pace, Fyfe came first in his by about 10m and didn't even look like he was pushing himself, Hilly is moving better than I've seen in a long time.

DRILL 1: When they moved into the drill where they move the ball from one 50m arc to the other they only had two teams this time. Previous weeks they've had two teams combining to attack and the other team defending meaning it was almost always moved quite freely and with little pressure due to the outnumber. This obviously lead to a bit more pressure and the skills where still pretty good. At one point Aish made a dive/roll to take a mark off a short kick, where he was under little pressure so could have just collected the loose ball of the bounce. This impressed me, showing the standard to which he trains. In the same drill Hilly had the ball kicked over his head but ran back and marked at full stretch before kicking beautifully off of two steps.

------

DRILL 2: For those wanting match simulation, we didn't quite get there but we did get closer today. Longmuir started with the ball, in the first instances he told them to force the turnover from him, at which point they then went on the counter attack and had to kick the goal. Later on Longy moved to the wing and kicked to a player in defensive 50m where they then had to go forward to kick the goal. After each goal their was a run all players had to do before the drill restarted - Largely I think focusing on execution whilst fatigued.

-------
DRILL 3: The last drills they did had the team split into three groups - seemingly mids, forwards and defense.

The defensive group included the obvious as well as Cox, Conca and Hill. Not sure if I saw Acres with them for a bit as well, someone else may be able to confirm. They were all manned up on one another as one of the others kicked the ball inside 50m and they had to defend the inside 50.

The forward group consisted of Walters, Tabs, O'Reilly, Schultz, Lobb, Switta, Colyer and I think Banfield - Again someone else may be able to confirm. Similarly they took turns taking the ball inside 50m to a leading target. Thankfully they all seemed to be leading into different areas. Towards the end they varied their ball movement inside 50 and started further back/did a switch or two to get the entry they wanted.

The mids where on the far side and I didn't watch them too much, but Cerra was training exclusively with them which will please many.

----

At the end of the session they did the same diamond runs they've ended with most sessions but now at each 'point' of the diamond run they would stop for either squats, burpees or push ups.

At this point Cox had finished but he told a few training watchers that he had been ill so was just finishing slightly early.
Darcy was also spared the diamond runs but worked on his strength with the sledgehammer and tyre - Swining the sledgehammer then doing a 25m run and some burpees. He was absolutely stuffed after this, as were the players doing the diamonds.

Some points in summary.

Walters and Hammer were the most vocal of the players with Acres speaking up too. Quite a bit of encouragement amongst the group, especially during the running which in this heat would have been very challenging.

Sean Darcy stood out a few times in the second drill with the full ground ball movement. Managed to find space, showed clean disposal and was running hard.

Stephen Hill is looking in really good shape, running well and his disposal is still all class. Hoping like hell that he manages to stay fit through the season.

Hamling was the first on the track and would have been in the top three in terms of training standards. Along with his voice on the track, his leadership cannot be understated.

Any questions, ask away and I will try to answer as best I can!
Yep terrific work. Where did HUghes train when they broke into groups?

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Any news on Sturt would be welcome - I am not sure we have seen so little of a first pick as we have Sturt due to injuries.

We know he has put lean muscle on his frame. From the little I saw at Peel in a very interrupted season he didn't seem to show too much.

Any news - updates - how is he moving?

Unfortunately he's barely doing anything. He had some compression garments on his quad(s) from what I saw. Hopefully he can start training soon because his scope is enormous.

Yep terrific work. Where did HUghes train when they broke into groups?

The groups often rotate through the drills so its hard to say. Looks to be more a midfielder now though.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unfortunately he's barely doing anything. He had some compression garments on his quad(s) from what I saw. Hopefully he can start training soon because his scope is enormous.

He is the story of the pre-season imo. Followed closely by Hill and valente. Our team dynamic and depth will change if they are fit and performing.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
As someone who is at the club fairly regularly and is involved with the people you are talking about... I have never heard even a hint of this talk.

There are many reasons but one small one would be - the space we have for the AFLW team. Not possible at freo.

Video and media rooms = the same.

Hot cold plunge pools and recovery areas = same.
Hey this is off topic and irrelevant. This thread is reserved for training reports and posts thanking and praising training reports and also posts complaining about off topic posts. Can someone ban this guy?

/s.

Kenny_01

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sturt did enough last year to get a 2 year extension. Think getting his body right is taking some time but I expect big things once he does and gets some continuity in his football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey this is off topic and irrelevant. This thread is reserved for training reports and posts thanking and praising training reports and also posts complaining about off topic posts. Can someone ban this guy?

I would argue that this thread is also for posts complaining about people complaining about off topic posts. Can someone ban this guy?

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle

The groups often rotate through the drills so its hard to say. Looks to be more a midfielder now though.
Thanks Yakka. I could be wrong but I remeber him playing on Yeo in the last west coast preseason game and doing well. I think we need someone desperately with the athleticism to play on the gun athletic mids who are quick, tall and can run all day. Potentially he could be the man.

We cant have everyone playing mid so perhaps Blakley plays permanent back. Young and Ryan to then play on the third tall. With Logue rotating as a utility all over the ground.

Any thoughts on Serong? He reminds a bit of Joel Selwood in terms of how he just gets the ball through sheer will at junior level. To be clear thats just from viewing one game, the draft media and the highlighs, so very uninformed. Thats why Im really interested in how he trains. He has a lot of untapped athletic improvement I think too.

Back six
Yoiung Hamling Wilson
Blakely A.Pearce Ryan
I/C Logue

Last edited:

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Thanks Yakka. I could be wrong but I remeber him playing on Yeo in the last west coast preseason game and doing well. I think we need someone desperately with the athleticism to play on the gun athletic mids who are quick, tall and can run all day. Potentially he could be the man.

We cant have everyone playing mid so perhaps Blakley plays permanent back. Young and Ryan to then play on the third tall. With Logue rotating as a utility all over the ground.

Any thoughts on Serong? He reminds a bit of Joel Selwood in terms of how he just gets the ball through sheer will at junior level. To be clear thats just from viewing one game, the draft media and the highlighs, so very uninformed. Thats why Im really interested in how he trains. He has a lot of untapped athletic improvement I think too.

Back six
Yoiung Hamling Wilson
Blakely A.Pearce Ryan
I/C Logue

Blakely's position ( or spot in the team) is a mystery. It's strange that he's just running laps atm. Personally I'd rather see Hughes playing in defence than Blakely. He offers nothing there in my opinion.

Justin at the AGM: Empowered the assistants to develop a skill development program that is transferable to the track and not just ‘kicking for the sake of kicking’

Game development starts next week.

I like his approach, bodes well for the future #playswellwithothers

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Justin at the AGM: Empowered the assistants to develop a skill development program that is transferable to the track and not just ‘kicking for the sake of kicking’

Game development starts next week.
I was unfortunately unable to go to AGM but was very interested to hear what was discussed, would you mind sharing even just 1 or 2 of the points that stood out to you the most?

Please don't feel obliged though if you don't have time, just thought it was worth asking! :)

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was unfortunately unable to go to AGM but was very interested to hear what was discussed, would you mind sharing even just 1 or 2 of the points that stood out to you the most?

Please don't feel obliged though if you don't have time, just thought it was worth asking! :)

Dale Alcock was impressive. He spoke positively and confidently.
I thought Dale was more assertive and presidential than the recent past.
He gives the impression he is well satisfied that the upheaval with two senior members of the club being removed
Is now behind him and has empowered him to steer the ship.

Simon Garlick also spoke assuredly and threw in some light humour that Mark Readings the MC picked up on about the relationship of east and south Fremantle in football terms. Apparently Simon is mates with the senior coach of South Fremantle.

Blake Acres and James Aish were there and shared a few anecdotes from their time at Collingwood.
Then the seven draftees came up on stage and individually spoke. Liam the bit of a comedian.
Minairo looked as nervous as a kitten and has a very deep voice.
Hayden and Caleb are friends clearly .

I think it was Justin who mentioned their impression when talking with just drafted boys how they were genuinely thrilled for their mates or anxious that their mate would also get drafted.
That struck a chord with him and fits with his mantra “ we’re all in this together “.

The member question time was a huge disappointment as each one of the questioners wrongly believed they were the most important person in the room. Most of the questioners gave a valedictory from the pulpit.

So bad was it in my opinion that I think that’s the last one I will attend.
Embarrassingly bad.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dale Alcock was impressive. He spoke positively and confidently.
I thought Dale was more assertive and presidential than the recent past.
He gives the impression he is well satisfied that the upheaval with two senior members of the club being removed
Is now behind him and has empowered him to steer the ship.

Simon Garlick also spoke assuredly and threw in some light humour that Mark Readings the MC picked up on about the relationship of east and south Fremantle in football terms. Apparently Simon is mates with the senior coach of South Fremantle.

Blake Acres and James Aish were there and shared a few anecdotes from their time at Collingwood.
Then the seven draftees came up on stage and individually spoke. Liam the bit of a comedian.
Minairo looked as nervous as a kitten and has a very deep voice.
Hayden and Caleb are friends clearly .

I think it was Justin who mentioned their impression when talking with just drafted boys how they were genuinely thrilled for their mates or anxious that their mate would also get drafted.
That struck a chord with him and fits with his mantra “ we’re all in this together “.

The member question time was a huge disappointment as each one of the questioners wrongly believed they were the most important person in the room. Most of the questioners gave a valedictory from the pulpit.

So bad was it in my opinion that I think that’s the last one I will attend.
Embarrassingly bad.
I went too.
Many of the questions were very long winded, but a good one was asked about reducing the problems with injuries.
Alcock answered:
This was reviewed over the year.
There have been changes in personnel and their roles.
The training regime has changed with a view to making players fit and available.
West Coast, Fremantle and Optus Stadium are working hard to improve the playing surface and reduce the incidence of lower leg injuries.
While it would be nice to know the details, I thought Alcock’s answer was pretty good.

Longmuir spoke about how they’ve just finished the first training block with players coming in at different times, the emphasis was on skills (and fitness while concentrating on skills).
The emphasis for the next block will be on game style.

I spoke with a few training watchers over beers while the question time was wrapping up (too hot and boring). They all said that the training is completely different. Training is run by Longmuir and his coaches, not by the S&C. The coach and players also come over and chat to the watchers, and thank them for their interest. When I have been in the past, it was a few of the players only, like Hamling and Sturt, and Fyfe for a second.

Last edited:

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is outstanding news. Big fault in our system in the past.

Hopefully they won’t be running the interchange either.

the only club with a worse injury list than us last year was collingwood so yeah.. maybe ok but who knows. try it out.

S&C have had alot of power not much result so time to change it up, but doesn't mean it was the wrong approach.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
the only club with a worse injury list than us last year was collingwood so yeah.. maybe ok but who knows. try it out.

S&C have had alot of power not much result so time to change it up, but doesn't mean it was the wrong approach.
Melbourne’s was pretty bad. They haven’t started the preseason too good either with a few new injuries and reportedly have the best in the best business - at least that’s what Bennell is saying.

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Popped in for 15 minutes and watched the rehab group and a defensive drill.

It took me a while to realise Dardy was actually Dardy. Lost a tonne of weight and moving well across the ground. He has a strange running gait but is very quick.

Sturts running is way faster than same time last year. He glides over the ground. Can’t wait to see his debut

I think both are on a program to build fitness rather than injured.

Giro looks fit as ever. He Broke off to to some kick to kick with carter. I know he hasn’t been able to do much with the ball but he struggled to hit Carter stationary at 20m.

Logue, Cox and Hamling were working on a defensive drill to move the ball through a zone from d 50. It’s fair to say Logue had the best kick and decision making of three. As a third tall he is a very exciting prospect. A couple of times there was no target and he picked it up ran at full tilt and hit the target on the tit. I found myself shaking my head saying BEAST. Cox was good and will improve immensely now he seems to be training in the role that he was all Australian in.

Bloody hot. Credit to all the boys never heard any of them whinge about the heat. All just got on with it.

Oh Sandi was doing the running with Hodor in an intervals drill. Hodor still has a ways to go with his running however was training hard.

Also heard Weber give North a rev up as he was cutting corners in a running set and got told to sit on Fyfes shoulder(who was running wide to get more work in) I get the feeling this may be why we haven’t seen him debut.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back