Roast Grumpy Old Thread- 10k posts of whinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pretty average if that’s the case; having kids and elderly relos who we need to be contacted for pick ups and safety on a Train and someone is blocking that signal? 😮

The night trains are long distance. There are armed railway staff on the train and a conductor on every carriage and the door is locked. All the stations are staffed all night. Alcohol is banned on the train. There is a notice board at the train station saying when the train will arrive. It is well structured and an organised society.

What about all the years when there were no mobile phones. Millions of travellers dying and left out in the cold rain?

Maybe you are thinking of the people on trains where you are.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
The night trains are long distance. There are armed railway staff on the train and a conductor on every carriage and the door is locked. All the stations are staffed all night. Alcohol is banned on the train. There is a notice board at the train station saying when the train will arrive. It is well structured and an organised society.

What about all the years when there were no mobile phones. Millions of travellers dying and left out in the cold rain?

Maybe you are thinking of the people on trains where you are.
But what gives you the right to decide this?

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Going down to Haad Yai to find another one with luck. Those army boys would rather risk dying just so they can get some easy money.
I'm guessing that you can still get almost anything there in Hat Yai? I'm specifically talking about electronic stuff, but I guess "anything" could mean "ANYTHING".

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm guessing that you can still get almost anything there in Hat Yai? I'm specifically talking about electronic stuff, but I guess "anything" could mean "ANYTHING".

It is fairly wide open but I haven't asked around for anything nor "anything." The Tamil Tigers used to buy some anythings there.

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is fairly wide open but I haven't asked around for anything nor "anything." The Tamil Tigers used to buy some anythings there.
I was holed up for a while with sun burned legs and feet (FFS). This motor bike taxi guy who took me to the doctor and the bank was telling me about the stuff that comes over the border from Malaysia and about some of the business of Hat Yai. Took me to some warehouses where they had a shed load of top end hi-fi equipment at prices I could afford. Heavy as anything though and I wasn't in the frame of mind to be buying that kind of stuff. I did get some German pharmaceuticals though and the skin on my legs grew back very quickly.

There were a damn lot of warehouses. I didn't see any Tamil Tigers but they probably skipped the stereo equipment and headed to the sheds down the back.

There were a lot of bars back in those days that appeared to offer companionship. My driver said that foreign businessmen were frequent visitors and they needed that kind of friendship.

I had been warned to avoid the place but even though it was a bit like any Thai city, it wasn't as bad as people said it was.

Last edited:

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rival Fyshwick in its halcyon days?
Wharehouses.

And houses of I'll repute.

I've never been to Amsterdam but I was a bit surprised that even midrange hotels had friendly ladies sitting in lounge areas waiting for a farang in need of company.

Expected in Phuket or Pat Pong Rd. A bit too much for me ad the other half though.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Vale Greedy Smith

One of the sound tracks of my teen years quietly passes away.

A main stay on Saturday mornings with Donny Sutherland on Sounds you and MAA were a hilarious drop in, especially on the finale each year.

The nips are getting bigger for you tonight, cheers Greedy!

Started out, just drinkin' beer
I didn't know how or why
Or what I was doin' there
Just a couple more
Made me feel a little better
Believe me when I tell you
It was nothin' to do with the letter
I ran right out of beer
I took a look into the larder
No bones, nothin'
I'd better go and get somethin' harder
Back in a flash
I started on a dash of Jamaica rum
Me and Pat Malone
Drinking on our ow-ow-ow-own
Woh-hoh-oh, the nips are gettin' bigger
Woh-yeah, the nips are gettin' bigger
Wo-hoh-oh, the nips are gettin' bigger
Yeah-eah-eah, mmm they're gettin' bigger
Sometimes I wonder
What all these chemicals
Are doin' to my brain
Doesn't worry me enough
To stop…

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Vale Greedy Smith

One of the sound tracks of my teen years quietly passes away.

A main stay on Saturday mornings with Donny Sutherland on Sounds you and MAA were a hilarious drop in, especially on the finale each year.

The nips are getting bigger for you tonight, cheers Greedy!

Started out, just drinkin' beer
I didn't know how or why
Or what I was doin' there
Just a couple more
Made me feel a little better
Believe me when I tell you
It was nothin' to do with the letter
I ran right out of beer
I took a look into the larder
No bones, nothin'
I'd better go and get somethin' harder
Back in a flash
I started on a dash of Jamaica rum
Me and Pat Malone
Drinking on our ow-ow-ow-own
Woh-hoh-oh, the nips are gettin' bigger
Woh-yeah, the nips are gettin' bigger
Wo-hoh-oh, the nips are gettin' bigger
Yeah-eah-eah, mmm they're gettin' bigger
Sometimes I wonder
What all these chemicals
Are doin' to my brain
Doesn't worry me enough
To stop…
always loved their ABBA "tribute"

As Gaso said, another small part of growing up disappears. Gone way too early, RIP Greedy.
As an 18 year old me and a mate got a job doing the load in and load out for a series of shows by the Mentals and Painters and Dockers around different unis in Sydney.

Not a huge Mentals fan but they had some excellent tunes and were fantastic guys.

Vale Greedy and condolences to your family and loved ones.

As an 18 year old me and a mate got a job doing the load in and load out..........

Aha.......

annabel-chong.jpg

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
D5C71C01-819E-4106-B501-A96C3F72ACFD.png

The air quality is atrocious. My area has been covered in smoke almost all week, which has included ash covering my car. I only live 25 minutes away from those fires.

View attachment 790312

The air quality is atrocious. My area has been covered in smoke almost all week, which has included ash covering my car. I only live 25 minutes away from those fires.

A couple of months ago when someone said something about this fire season being all hype i noted that a quarter of the country between Lismore to Tenterfield, Tenterfield to Tamworth and then back to the coast was burnt out.

Now something like 90% of it is, then including that stuff west of you - if you drew a line from Lithgow to Tenterfield most of the country east of that line has burnt so far this year.

I flew down to Melb yesterday arvo. Its so nice to breathe clear air.

Its been like that at my place too re the smoke. Yesterday the 100km or so drive to the GC airport and at no point did we have more than 2 or 3 km actual visibility. We've probably had a month of smokey days that are nearly unbearable since Spring. I'm actually a little worried about the kids health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back