Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers

Flossie32

Team Captain
May 28, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not coaching staff but just realised our media guy Anthony Alsop has left and gone back to Melbourne. I’ve thought while he was there our social media team were top notch.
wonder who is replacing him?
Feels like a few of the team are on holidays still.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Not coaching staff but just realised our media guy Anthony Alsop has left and gone back to Melbourne. I’ve thought while he was there our social media team were top notch.
Thought our social media content had dropped off.

Yeah I’ve noticed how poor our preseason and trade/draft period coverage has been.

In comparison to last year there has been significantly lower standard and volume of coverage.
This following a great year and drive for greater membership participation.
Interesting happenings.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
He was made redundant.

Flossie32

Team Captain
May 28, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
also noticed media in Qld - Michael whiting spending slot more time on the Gold Coast reporting on the suns. Sounds like this is their year for a media splurge up here - ours was last year.
Might be a little AFL involvement too to shore up more suns support.

Alternatively we have barely had a preseason compared to last year given our late finish to the year so it’s a totally different comparison. And we don’t need to sell Hope from draft picks because we aren’t coming off another s**t season

How odd. I don't see how a social media manager is a position that would become redundant unless the club are in dire financial straits, or not intending to make more than a token effort to engage with fans by social media.
Or there were internal issues we are unaware of.

Or there were internal issues we are unaware of.
We have some very good operators and so far they have made good appointments. We are not privy to internal issues, so the record says we need to trust that this decision is the right one.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
also noticed media in Qld - Michael whiting spending slot more time on the Gold Coast reporting on the suns. Sounds like this is their year for a media splurge up here - ours was last year.
Might be a little AFL involvement too to shore up more suns support.
Gold Coast started back before us, so for a short while they were the only news story worth reporting on.

Whiting addressed some Suns supporters questions last season when they accused him of being biased towards the Lions and focusing his content on us.

He basically said, it’s not easy to write good news stories about a team being flogged each week. And that there season finished well before ours, so for a period, we were the only news story.

Also, as we’ve just had the draft, GC had a much better draft hand than us, have brought in more new players, trying to change their culture, etc.

So GC currently are more of a story as such. Wait until the season starts.

Then that's not redundancy really, that's a sacking.
Depends how it is handled. Positions can disappear only to have duties absorbed into other roles (or new positions). This is not to cast aspersions on Luke. I have heard nothing, but it is not an uncommon way to deal with delicate situations.

Flossie32

Team Captain
May 28, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep new position will be created with hopefully someone really good and experienced!

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How odd. I don't see how a social media manager is a position that would become redundant unless the club are in dire financial straits, or not intending to make more than a token effort to engage with fans by social media.
Just to be clear, Anthony wasn't 'Social media manager'. His position was Communications General Manager. That position oversees all club communication, from media/press releases, website content, email/mail communications to members, all member communications and engagement, social media, gameday interaction, marketing...
basically everything involving communication from the club.

Now, under that department, there are also middle managers;
Brand and marketing manager,
Media liaison,
Social media,
Match day coordinator,
Community Manager.
It all fell under Anthony's umbrella, but each of those facets also has a manager.

If some of what has been said here is true, it sounds like the club felt that each of those managers are capable of functioning independently.

I would be concerned that there may be less coordination and synchronicity, less cohesion and messier messaging.

There have been a lot of changes in some of those roles over the last few years, and while some strengthened, I reckon there was a noticeable drop off in direct member/fan engagement since Steele Tallon left and Anthony took over. Maybe a larger focus and reliance on social media in some instances.
At the same time, the social media for women's and NEAFL football has been very sadly lacking. That comes down to resources and perhaps allocation by the communications GM.
IF they have decided to move forward without a GM, I can only see that getting worse.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
There have been a lot of changes in some of those roles over the last few years, and while some strengthened, I reckon there was a noticeable drop off in direct member/fan engagement since Steele Tallon left and Anthony took over. Maybe a larger focus and reliance on social media in some instances.
At the same time, the social media for women's and NEAFL football has been very sadly lacking. That comes down to resources and perhaps allocation by the communications GM.
IF they have decided to move forward without a GM, I can only see that getting worse.

He didn't interact with fans on SM like Steele Tallon did but I liked his approach when I heard him on the Roar Deal once. He had a clear strategy for the Lions for the QLD market that didn't just rely on hoping that the Courier Mail would stop covering the Broncos.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
According to a Jay Clark/Greg Davis report Lethal has apparently offered his services to help with our goal kicking. No formal arrangements in place yet but supposedly there have been discussions with Fages.
That would be great, even just having the great man down there walking around at training would be fantastic, particularly for the younger guys.

Lethal- "Just run straight at your target, watch the ball onto your foot and follow through in a straight line."

D.McStay- "Yes Sir, Mr Matthews"

Back