Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Where's the proof?

its been reported (by richmond fans) that the highest people at the club have said RCD was higher than Stocker on the draft board

Richmond have a function where they talk about the draft to members and it was reported in depth there too apparently.

There is no comprehensive proof unless you break into punt road and go over the paper work but "comfortably satisfied" Richmond did indeed rate RCD > Stocker.

As for Philp i dont know how high the tigers had him, however the jurno looks shady

Either way Philp was deemed to be a first round pick. Who are the "some"?

yeah, by sos

draft central had philo at 40 odd as one example

Listen to someone that has knowledge or listen to the guy who is paid to determine and speak to recruiters and Cal Towmey said that a number of recruiters had Philp going exactly where he went.

got any proof this guy "has knowledge"?

Also if Gold Coast rank Sharp as a player who is the 11th best in this years draft then he is certainly worth playing next years pick 11 for.

Not really. Gold Coast should have worked harder for what they gave away.

If Sharp had have drifted to pick #40, would have the #11 be seen as having been a good deal?

The GC failed to capitalise. Bad error in not taking advantage. Lazy actually.

its been reported (by richmond fans) that the highest people at the club have said RCD was higher than Stocker on the draft board

Richmond have a function where they talk about the draft to members and it was reported in depth there too apparently.

There is no comprehensive proof unless you break into punt road and go over the paper work but "comfortably satisfied" Richmond did indeed rate RCD > Stocker.

Are you even being serious? Richmond fans conveniently the only ones 'reporting' their club rated a player or players higher than the player took before them, who both times happened to have a team trade up to that very pick prior... Riiiiiight.

Why is it so difficult for some posters to accept that their club was gazumped in these instances? Happens all the time in the draft probably. For every clever game of poker to land both Franklin and Roughead there is probably 10 or so cases where a player was picked slightly before team x thought they would and hence team y gets their man. It's actually ok, it happens...

As for Philp i dont know how high the tigers had him, however the jurno looks shady...

yeah, by sos

"A number of clubs saying the day after the draft that they had him inside their 20. So as much as we thought it might have been a little bit of push up the order from where we expected, to AFL clubs, rival clubs and rival recruiters it wasn't too much of a jump." - Callum Twomey on Philp.

Chris Doerre (ESPN) or Knightmare in these parts, had him going at 24 (including 2 bids he expected that never came, so pick 22). He has since confirmed that Richmond were heavily into Philp, as were Brisbane.

The fact that the Tigers 'reached' for a Philp Lite if you like at their very next pick in Dow, speaks volume.

What the hell is a 'draft central'?

You posting the above and then being the one to ask for proof is actually comical and leads me to think you may actually be taking the piss. Not sure but...

Last edited:

As for Philp i dont know how high the tigers had him, however the jurno looks shady

yeah, by sos

So you're proof is exactly what you don't call proof... so "proven" it aint

And you want me to give you proof that Cal Towmey has spoken to recruiters? He said he has, he gets paid to do so.

Exhibit A - someone that doesn't understand what "proven" means, telling me who recruiter rated base other people on a forum said
Exhibit B - someone who literally gets paid to talk to recruiters and find out exactly who they rated

It's a tough one. I will chose A... Marcel Proust, you have "proven" your worth!

It is a fact that Richmond were always going to take RCD>Stocker and Dow>Philp

It is also a fact that it irrelevant.

Carlton did rate those players and good luck to them, the fact that Richmond didn’t does not mean that they won’t become guns.

Carlton did rate those players and good luck to them, the fact that Richmond didn’t does not mean that they won’t become guns.

I'd suggest you have actually zero idea of what constitutes a fact...

Why is this so important to Richmond posters?

How about the bombers draft. Under sized kf and a under sized ruck with a small forward and a small back pocket player 😬.

I get they had no good picks but boy oh boy yuck. Then they sign a journey man yesterday ekk

So you're proof is exactly what you don't call proof... so "proven" it aint

And you want me to give you proof that Cal Towmey has spoken to recruiters? He said he has, he gets paid to do so.

Exhibit A - someone that doesn't understand what "proven" means, telling me who recruiter rated base other people on a forum said
Exhibit B - someone who literally gets paid to talk to recruiters and find out exactly who they rated

It's a tough one. I will chose A... Marcel Proust, you have "proven" your worth!

its as close to a fact as its possible to get richmond rated RCD> Stocker

Richmond literally have a event where they discuss the with the fans the draft post the draft

Maybe they are lying due to Carlton bamboozling them? doubt it

i only asked for proof to highlight its (your original comment) a stupid point unless the list manager or ceo is in your household.

Last edited:
Are you even being serious? Richmond fans conveniently the only ones 'reporting' their club rated a player or players higher than the player took before them, who both times happened to have a team trade up to that very pick prior... Riiiiiight.

I am serious. I wouldnt expect carlton fans to pay to attend a dinner to discuss the Richmond drafting...

Dow-heavy wasnt good enough to make vic metro

very concerning sign i reckon :(

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it so difficult for some posters to accept that their club was gazumped in these instances? Happens all the time in the draft probably. For every clever game of poker to land both Franklin and Roughead there is probably 10 or so cases where a player was picked slightly before team x thought they would and hence team y gets their man. It's actually ok, it happens...

"A number of clubs saying the day after the draft that they had him inside their 20. So as much as we thought it might have been a little bit of push up the order from where we expected, to AFL clubs, rival clubs and rival recruiters it wasn't too much of a jump." - Callum Twomey on Philp.

Chris Doerre (ESPN) or Knightmare in these parts, had him going at 24 (including 2 bids he expected that never came, so pick 22). He has since confirmed that Richmond were heavily into Philp, as were Brisbane.

The fact that the Tigers 'reached' for a Philp Lite if you like at their very next pick in Dow, speaks volume.

What the hell is a 'draft central'?

You posting the above and then being the one to ask for proof is actually comical and leads me to think you may actually be taking the piss. Not sure but...
This is strange stuff. We rated our man highly and he would have likely gone in the top 30 so all good taking him at 20. Where it gets strange is all this insistence that Richmond were going to take him where all the evidence points to that not being the case.

Happy to back the recruiters in but no need to shout down Tigers fans that reasonably point out they were taking Dow.

Happy to back the recruiters in but no need to shout down Tigers fans that reasonably point out they were taking Dow.

Back in the bloke that got the ass yesterday?

I don't know who Richmond wanted that was still available last draft. I know almost zero tigers fans on the internet wanted Philip with the first selection.

what im trying to highlight it seems as far as is possible to 'prove' within the ground of reason is the Richmond Football Club had rcd ahead of stocker - maybe they are making it up but they seem a pretty well run and transparent mob these days.

This is strange stuff. We rated our man highly and he would have likely gone in the top 30 so all good taking him at 20. Where it gets strange is all this insistence that Richmond were going to take him where all the evidence points to that not being the case.

Dunno if giving away Flanders is all good. we will see

Confirmed by Cal Twomey today that Richmond had no interest in Philp at 21. I've tried to tell the Blues supporters on here multiple times.

Its also true that we would have traded our 1st pick last year if Carlton took RCD instead of Stocker. We wanted RCD and didn't rate Stocker.

Carlton supporters on this forum are naïve in the extreme.

Confirmed by Cal Twomey today that Richmond had no interest in Philp at 21. I've tried to tell the Blues supporters on here multiple times.

Its also true that we would have traded our 1st pick last year if Carlton took RCD instead of Stocker. We wanted RCD and didn't rate Stocker.

Carlton supporters on this forum are naïve in the extreme.

Very true

especially the bit where wewere ready totrade our pick last year if rcd was gone .

In any case who cares what they think if you know what you know is 100% true?
Just move on

All this talk about who wanted who fact is dow and philp are just not that good. Seen them both play alot this year and id be stunned if they are on a list in 3 years

All this talk about who wanted who fact is dow and philp are just not that good. Seen them both play alot this year and id be stunned if they are on a list in 3 years

This is not a fact, only an opinion.

Which is fine but if we’re talking your opinion vs that of professional recruiters, I know who I’m inclined to side with.

This is not a fact, only an opinion.

Which is fine but if we’re talking your opinion vs that of professional recruiters, I know who I’m inclined to side with.

Afl rankings? .. state rep recruiters that over looked philp? Knights under 18 bnf?

I'll stick with there views and you go with yours it's what makes draft time fun i guess

Afl rankings? .. state rep recruiters that over looked philp? Knights under 18 bnf?

I'll stick with there views and you go with yours it's what makes draft time fun i guess

We’re using AFL rankings to evaluate kids who have been on a list for a fortnight?

Each to their own I guess, but that’s about as flawed as passing off your opinion as fact.

Hard to do winners and losers just on the draft when there is also trades and FA to factor in, otherwise it’s obvious GC had a far better draft than St Kilda.

I really liked that a competitive club like the bulldogs were able to add two best 22 key position players while keeping their first round pick and getting the guy they were rumoured to be mad keen on.

The saints are interesting, they added some good players but also lost Steven, Bruce, Newnes and Acres. It’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I would’ve drafted differently to Melbourne but they got the players they wanted with two high picks after adding Tomlinson and Langdon. They’d be happy with their haul and it’s only one year after finishing in the top four with a young team.

Freo did well to get themselves in a position where they ended up with three top ten picks. They’ve already added some good young talent over the last few years so they’d be thrilled to add those three to their young core. I think Young and Henry were bargains.

Based on my own ratings I thought Sydney and Hawthorn had very nice drafts.

We’re using AFL rankings to evaluate kids who have been on a list for a fortnight?

Each to their own I guess, but that’s about as flawed as passing off your opinion as fact.

I'll back the state recruiters and club that ranked him 4th in there bnf but that's just me and my gut

Good luck to him but he is a ripping kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back