Player Watch Jay Rantall (Delisted 2021)

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
True. I wasn't really talking about year 1. I'm assuming that Year 1 will be a development year, predominantly in the VFL, but no idea really.

Whilst endurance is a massive asset for a wingman, to me it's even more important that a wingman has excellent game sense and positioning. It's a real structural role in the Bucks game plan, so it's not a role I'd be earmarking for an inexperienced basketball crossover. Although a basketball background probably would help him pick up structure and positioning more quickly than others.

You just never know. Phillips was taken at pick 58 and played 6 games in his first year.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
True. I wasn't really talking about year 1. I'm assuming that Year 1 will be a development year, predominantly in the VFL, but no idea really.

Whilst endurance is a massive asset for a wingman, to me it's even more important that a wingman has excellent game sense and positioning. It's a real structural role in the Bucks game plan, so it's not a role I'd be earmarking for an inexperienced basketball crossover. Although a basketball background probably would help him pick up structure and positioning more quickly than others.

I think we need to improve the contested aspect on our wings. Can't always rely on the players there finding space for uncontested possession. I like Elliott getting rotations through there for that very reason. Very good contested player and can crash a pack occasionally if needed. It's why I'm keen to see Murphy and Tyler Brown groomed for the position.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
You just never know. Phillips was taken at pick 58 and played 6 games in his first year.

Had an extra year at TAC as a 19 year old though didn't he.

True. But Phillips is pretty outstanding on the game sense and positioning front, was an overager and I think/suspect probably played high half forward in his first season.

Last edited:
I think we need to improve the contested aspect on our wings. Can't always rely on the players there finding space for uncontested possession. I like Elliott getting rotations through there for that very reason. Very good contested player and can crash a pack occasionally if needed. It's why I'm keen to see Murphy and Tyler Brown groomed for the position.
I agree. Our blokes play a defensive positioning and transition role, but it'd be nice to have blokes who can also contest and compete against a well set press when we go long down the line. I think wing is a really important position in the way the game is currently being played. My dream wingman is Darcy Moore, but we don't have the talls for that luxury.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree. Our blokes play a defensive positioning and transition role, but it'd be nice to have blokes who can also contest and compete against a well set press when we go long down the line. I think wing is a really important position in the way the game is currently being played. My dream wingman is Darcy Moore, but we don't have the talls for that luxury.

Need to fully cure Moore of that "show pony go back behind the mark" thingy he does first. Maybe Wilson could be groomed for a wing role if you're looking for a taller option. At least while his body/physique is still heavily in the development mode.

Need to fully cure Moore of that "show pony go back behind the mark" thingy he does first. Maybe Wilson could be groomed for a wing role if you're looking for a taller option. At least while his body/physique is still heavily in the development mode.

His showponyness is in remission. When he played forward, it used to do my head in how he completely stopped after taking a lead up mark high on the flanks.

In a far weaker squad though. I’m not really expecting to see much of any of our draftees play senior footy this year. If they become good enough to bust down the door it’s a bonus.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
In a far weaker squad though. I’m not really expecting to see much of any of our draftees play senior footy this year. If they become good enough to bust down the door it’s a bonus.

That's a good point.

We've also had Mayne rotate through the wing. It's only a matter of time before Mayne becomes that older player who's in and out of the 22 ala Varcoe.

Looking forward to the JLT. They're not that far away......

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dear little Greta has pushed the cause she espouses back ten years with her obnoxious manner.

Very poor choice for spokesperson.
the media love creating “characters” and dumbing down things.

weve had the kardashians and I’m sure they do something or other.

Fratbrat

Senior List
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dear little Greta has pushed the cause she espouses back ten years with her obnoxious manner.

Very poor choice for spokesperson.
"I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, OCD and selective mutism. That basically means I only speak when I think it's necessary. Now is one of those moments."

— Greta Thunberg
Stockholm, November 2018

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
"I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, OCD and selective mutism. That basically means I only speak when I think it's necessary. Now is one of those moments."

— Greta Thunberg
Stockholm, November 2018
My son also suffers from Aspergers yet is team leader for a large international internet company and spends his summers travelling the west coast of America servicing customers for them.

Don't give me sob stories about afflictions, most can be overcome or ameliorated with positive action.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back to Jay Rantall.

owing to my mystical jinxing powers I cant officially declare he’s any sort of favourite.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t care as long as you stay away from my Tray. Superstar in the making, unless you think the same 😭
I’ll let you eat from the meat Tre. I’ve got my burger boy and bear all snugged up.

Fratbrat

Senior List
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
My son also suffers from Aspergers yet is team leader for a large international internet company and spends his summers travelling the west coast of America servicing customers for them.

Don't give me sob stories about afflictions, most can be overcome or ameliorated with positive action.
I gave you the facts, what you do with them is not my concern.

Back