List Mgmt. Oldest List.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

THE PRESSURE on Collingwood's hunt for a third premiership in 62 years will be ramped up next season, with the Pies set to take the oldest list in the League into what shapes as a pivotal 2020 campaign.

After last week's NAB AFL Draft, Champion Data stats reveal that Collingwood's average age of 24.88 years narrowly shades that of West Coast (24.80 years), Hawthorn (24.66) and North Melbourne (24.66) as the oldest in the competition.

WHO SMASHED IT? Our experts give their draft verdicts

Its squad also averages 75.93 games between them, which makes it the fourth most experienced list. Only Geelong (80.72 games), Hawthorn (80.25) and West Coast (77.89) average more.

Collingwood's list will include six players over the age of 30 by the start of next season, including captain Scott Pendlebury (pictured) and fellow veterans Travis Varcoe, Chris Mayne, Levi Greenwood, Ben Reid and Dayne Beams.

It also features nine players with more than 150 games worth of experience, with only Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast and Richmond enjoying the luxury of having more experience.

At the other end of the spectrum, Gold Coast's dramatic list rebuild is reflected by the Suns having both the youngest list (23.41 years) and the least experienced list (52.08 games) in the competition.

DRAFT TRACKER Every pick, every player

Gold Coast, who added first-round draft picks Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson and Sam Flanders to last year's top-six selections in Jack Lukosius, Izak Rankine and Ben King, has only three 30-year-old players and only three 150-game players on its list.

Brisbane, Fremantle and Sydney are the next youngest lists in the competition, with all three having an average age of just 23.54 years each.

Having just recruited three top-10 draft picks in Hayden Young, Caleb Serong and Liam Henry, Fremantle has the least experienced list behind Gold Coast.

Justin Longmuir's side averages just 54.11 games each, with Sydney (55.60 games) and Brisbane (56.15 games) also lacking experience.

B7BC8CD3-18FB-4FAD-824C-8AC339E38B50.png

C4A83782-2EA1-4368-A32F-2965244128B4.png

I’m not concerned about the over 30’s. Reid, Varcoe, Greenwood & Mayne (maybe) are probably on their last contract. Pendles and Beams are still stars.

We have 15 players 18-21.
We have 16 players 22-26.

Premiership window is open, imo.

Last edited:
We seem to have made a pretty conscious decision to use veterans as depth, which is different from other clubs and increases our age average. I really like the decision, as I think it's great in terms of synnergy and IP retention.

Last edited:

25.07 years and just over 80 games once we've rookied Dunn. Deffo in the gun.

Oh and Riley Beveridge, it's 15 flags over the journey you ****wit... nice head for radio.

RileyBeveridge2x.png

It’s fine.. we go all out this year with the veterans for a flag. We then lose 4-5 from the top end age wise at the end of this year - Dunn, Reid, Varcoe, Greenwood - and our average age comes down.

The concern is more that some of our elite are in decline and we desperately need another A-grade key position player, or maybe even two.

This means nothing. It changes so quickly.
Some of the guys over 30 are merely depth players- names like Reid, Greenwood, Varcoe, Dunn, Mayne will not be around within 12-24 months anyway.
By then, we will be getting significantly younger with more draftees etc.

The thing we need to ensure is that our 18-27 bracket is littered with as much quality as possible.

We seem to have made a pretty conscious decision to use veterans as depth, which is different from other clubs and increases our age average. I really like the decision, as I think it's great in terms of synnergy and IP retention.

When you Finish Top 4 in 2 years the These Teams rather have Experience as Depth then a Bottom 4 Team that would have Youth as Depth

And next year we'll have one of the youngest again...so???
When do we see a list of which teams have the most GUNS?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guns are all at that right age to strike with only Pendles Howe and Sidey being the older players, really great mix the best we have had in years, I haven't included Beams as he has done nothing to show me he will be best 22 atm.

Gee you hate Beams, BEEG 😂

Well mate our guns that are 29 and over are Sidebottom Pendles and Howe can you really even put him in discussions atm? Let's be realistic we made the mistake with Wells last year.

There’s a table, but it didn’t format great, so I didn’t copy it over.

I’m not concerned about the over 30’s. Reid, Varcoe, Greenwood & Mayne (maybe) are probably on their last contract. Pendles and Beams are still stars.

We have 15 players 18-21.
We have 16 players 22-26.

Premiership window is open, imo.
If you have a Windows-based computer you most likely have Snipping Tool, and it's excellent for copying/pasting such things!
1575465012334.png
1575465057551.png
Mitch Brown (29yo - 70 games) has been added to Melbourne's list in the last day or so, and I don't think they've included him, so the figures will have changed a bit already.

If you have a Windows-based computer you should have Snipping Tool, and it's excellent for copying/pasting such things!
View attachment 789384
View attachment 789385
Mitch Brown (29yo - 70 games) has been added to Melbourne's list in the last day or so, and I don't think they've included him, so the figures will have changed a bit already.

Oh yes, snipping tool. Unfortunately, I was just on my phone. Thanks anyways. I’ll add the pics to the OP.

Oh yes, snipping tool. Unfortunately, I was just on my phone. Thanks anyways. I’ll add the pics to the OP.
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I could never cope with doing "internet stuff" on a mobile phone - I'm very happy using a desktop computer, and sitting in front of a 'big-arse' monitor!! I want to be able to see what I'm doing!

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I could never cope with doing "internet stuff" on a mobile phone - I'm very happy using a desktop computer, and sitting in front of a 'big-arse' monitor!! I want to be able to see what I'm doing!

I stare at a computer all day, the last thing I want to do is touch another mouse/keyboard. However, I couldn’t agree more. It’s so much easier to view “internet stuff” on a computer!!

I stare at a computer all day, the last thing I want to do is touch another mouse/keyboard. However, I couldn’t agree more. It’s so much easier to view “internet stuff” on a computer!!
As for the 'main topic' at hand, I'm another who is not at all fussed over the fact that we have an 'old list'. Quite a few of our older players are likely to be fringe players next year, and some of them will be gone at the end of the season, so I don't see it as much of an issue at all.

I find it interesting that Hawthorn still has one of the oldest/most experienced lists, even though they've moved on quite a few of their ageing stars in recent years, and are probably thought of as having a list that has been regenerated. Perhaps Burgoyne can be blamed for a fair bit of that!

As for the 'main topic' at hand, I'm another who is not at all fussed over the fact that we have an 'old list'. Quite a few of our older players are likely to be fringe players next year, and some of them will be gone at the end of the season, so I don't see it as much of an issue at all.

I find it interesting that Hawthorn still has one of the oldest/most experienced lists, even though they've moved on quite a few of their ageing stars in recent years, and are probably thought of as having a list that has been regenerated. Perhaps Burgoyne can be blamed for a fair bit of that!
The Hawks have regenerated by adding a heap of blokes who are all now about 26 - Scully, Patton, JOM, Frost, Wingard, Mitchell, Henderson. They're an interesting watch the Hawks. It's a very different rebuild, but over the next 5 years these blokes are all in the age bracket that their 3 peat was built on. It's the same theory of getting together a core of the same age to take you to glory, but it's been done through trade and not the draft. I don't think it will work, but if it does it will change the way clubs rebuild and I think it will change draft pick valuations.

Well mate our guns that are 29 and over are Sidebottom Pendles and Howe can you really even put him in discussions atm? Let's be realistic we made the mistake with Wells last year.
Wells looked fantastic against Sydney, the injury that got him was an impact injury not the calf. a fit Wells and things could have been written differently last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back