MLB 2019-2020 Offseason

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
Smith took a lesser salary by rejecting the QO. Guess he didn't want to be stuck on a rebuilding team.

Trout winning the AL MVP was kinda surprising, his rate stats were better than Bregman but he missed a month with his foot.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Smith took a lesser salary by rejecting the QO. Guess he didn't want to be stuck on a rebuilding team.

Trout winning the AL MVP was kinda surprising, his rate stats were better than Bregman but he missed a month with his foot.

This is a quote from fangraphs:

“He now has financial security (the $13 million he’ll make in 2020 is more than his career-to-date earnings) and gets to pitch for a playoff contender, which means it’s hard not to like the deal from Smith’s end.”

Smith was always going to take the security of a multi-year deal. That’s why players rarely accept the QO. The QO might have been more money than the first year of his Braves contract but one big injury in 2020 and it could stuffed up what he might earn moving forward.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
This is a quote from fangraphs:

“He now has financial security (the $13 million he’ll make in 2020 is more than his career-to-date earnings) and gets to pitch for a playoff contender, which means it’s hard not to like the deal from Smith’s end.”

Smith was always going to take the security of a multi-year deal. That’s why players rarely accept the QO. The QO might have been more money than the first year of his Braves contract but one big injury in 2020 and it could stuffed up what he might earn moving forward.
Yep that last paragraph is where people don't always understand guaranteed money, you don't know when a serious injury will occur. Take it while it's on offer

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
And José Abreu gets a pretty cheap extension at 3 yrs, $51m. White Sox really pushing their chips into the centre, they're still fringe contenders at best unless their pitching improves mightily

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Braves sign Cole Hamels for a 1yr $18m - doesnt do much for me but will give us an old head in an otherwise very young rotation. Sounds like Bumgarner his asking for a 4 or 5 year contract which braves wont commit to.

Wheeler to Phillies on a 5 yr $110 million contract.

Jun 18, 2008
Hewett, Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MUFC,BristolR, GB,Duke,LAA,NYK
I follow the NL mostly so hadnt heard of him. Not a great ERA - but probably keeping your powder dry for Cole
He's been around for ages with Baltimore but for every game he pitches well he will pitch 4 bad ones.
He gives up alot of runs. In saying that Baltimore is a pretty batter friendly park so who knows in Anaheim.
Look if he is our 4th or 5th pitcher its not too bad but right now he would be like our 3rd

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wheeler's signing is a bit of an overpay but I guess so was Corbin. They're banking on him changing his pitch mix à la Gerrit Cole, though given Philly's results with its other pitching prospects I'd be doubtful.

Angels signing/trading spud pitchers is as routine as death and taxes. Even if they sign Cole alone they're not a contender. Trout must be loving it

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2008
Hewett, Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Wheeler's signing is a bit of an overpay but I guess so was Corbin. They're banking on him changing his pitch mix à la Gerrit Cole, though given Philly's results with its other pitching prospects I'd be doubtful.

Angels signing/trading spud pitchers is as routine as death and taxes. Even if they sign Cole alone they're not a contender. Trout must be loving it
Hear rumors that there could be a mega deal with Boston involving the Angels which can only mean one thing. We would be taking on some serious debt with avg pitchers

Jun 18, 2008
Hewett, Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
10:42pm: The Rays and Padres are deep into talks on a trade that would see Tampa Bay outfielder Tommy Pham and San Diego outfielder Hunter Renfroe switch clubs, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic and Jeff Passan of ESPN. The Rays would also land Single-A shortstop Xavier Edwards, while the Padres would pick up an unnamed prospect to go with Pham.

I know the Rays are gonna save money here but man Pham was excellent for them this season

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Rays are cheapskates, they get 4 years of Renfroe and a decent prospect vs 2 years of Pham. It's their MO at this point

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Would've preferred keeping Rendon since he's younger and not injury-prone but his family doesn't live near DC like Stras does so probably an easier signing.
Probably means we have to go hard after Donaldson now. Not optimistic about that

Back