Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Out of contract Players we should Keep an Eye. With the potential departure of Joey and the possibility of raz.

Elliot Himmleberg Adelaide
Brad Crouch Adelaide
Rupert Wills Collingwood
Matt Kennedy Carlton
Jye Caldwell GWS
Jeremy Cameron GWS
Jeremy Finlayson GWS
Riley Collier-Dawkins Richmond
Bailey Smith Western Bulldogs
Collier-Dawkins i believe signed on last week

Joey goes, we'd be better off re-keying the game plan to go mobile up forward.
Not sure there is an option to replace him, as i can't see Cameron leaving.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Out of contract Players we should Keep an Eye. With the potential departure of Joey and the possibility of raz.

Elliot Himmleberg Adelaide
Brad Crouch Adelaide
Rupert Wills Collingwood
Matt Kennedy Carlton
Jye Caldwell GWS
Jeremy Cameron GWS
Jeremy Finlayson GWS
Riley Collier-Dawkins Richmond
Bailey Smith Western Bulldogs
Our best chance is picking off guys who might be young, out of contract, in strong sides and not getting opportunity.

Some of the ones I would look at are Jackson Hately and Xavier O'halloran (GWS). Hately will likely fall behind a returning Ward and incoming Green and is OOC in 2020. Ohalloran is similar only a different type of player, would be happy with either.

The main one to look at for me (pipe dream though) is Ely Smith from Brisbane. 187cm, 86kg inside mid that went pick 21 last year last year and has good pace. Yet to play a game and is stuck behind a pretty good midfield that just added Ellis-Yolmen in the same role.
The reason it's a pipe dream though is that he is contracted until 2022. Probably not likely but I remember really liking him last year in the lead up to the draft.

Last edited:
Our best chance is picking off guys who might be young, out of contract, in strong sides and not getting opportunity.

Some of the ones I would look at are Jackson Hately and Xavier O'halloran (GWS) and Ely Smith (Brisbane). Hately will likely fall behind a returning Ward and incoming Green and is OOC in 2020. Ohalloran is similar only a different type of player, would be happy with either.

The main one to look at for me is Ely Smith from Brisbane. 187cm, 86kg inside mid that went pick 21 last year last year and has good pace.
Yet to play a game and is stuck behind a pretty good midfield that just added Ellis-Yolmen in the same role.
Can we add two players still this year? Townsend looks like he has been offered a spot. If there is another one open maybe someone who slipped through the draft like Bowman, Partington* or Chirgwin*? *don't know much about these players eDPS but they were some names talked about pre-draft that look to have slipped through. Who was the highest-rated player to slip through?

Can we add two players still this year? Townsend looks like he has been offered a spot. If there is another one open maybe someone who slipped through the draft like Bowman, Partington* or Chirgwin*? *don't know much about these players eDPS but they were some names talked about pre-draft that look to have slipped through. Who was the highest-rated player to slip through?
He sent me this list in a chat over the weekend:

Mott the obvious one for me that missed out and other players I don’t mind that deserve a crack

Karl Finlay
Ben Jungfer
Jack Cooley
Nicholas Martin
Kaden Schreiber

He sent me this list in a chat over the weekend:

Mott the obvious one for me that missed out and other players I don’t mind that deserve a crack

Karl Finlay
Ben Jungfer
Jack Cooley
Nicholas Martin
Kaden Schreiber
Cheers eth, yeah Mott could be one to look out for.

nonamehack

Team Captain
May 9, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Essendon
When do we take Townsend?

I'd be hoping the day before SSP closes. I have no idea why Melbourne rushed to sign Brown on day 1. To me it's unlikely many/any other clubs are interested in Townsend so why wouldn't we get him through as much of preseason before need to sign him in case doesn't fit with team or suffers setback with injuries and isn't worthwhile.

I am of the opinion that you invite as many potentials to train and take Darwin theory approach to the selection "survival of the fittest (best fit)"

When do we take Townsend?
The Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) runs from December 1 to March 15. During that time clubs can sign players as rookies to fill any remaining list spots that they have.

As far as when exactly in that 3.5 month period we're going to announce that pen has been put to paper, your guess is as good as anyone's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Hey guys, sorry to bother.
I am a little confused how your list is apparently full according to the AFL website after Townsend has signed, but by my calculations you only have 39+4+2 which means you are one short? Is anyone able to clarify this for me?

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Hey guys, sorry to bother.
I am a little confused how your list is apparently full according to the AFL website after Townsend has signed, but by my calculations you only have 39+4+2 which means you are one short? Is anyone able to clarify this for me?

We drafted Lachlan Johnson who did his ACL mid year. We have apparently put him on the inactive list straight away which will allow us a shot at one more player either in the SPP or mid season draft. Hope that helps

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
We drafted Lachlan Johnson who did his ACL mid year. We have apparently put him on the inactive list straight away which will allow us a shot at one more player either in the SPP or mid season draft. Hope that helps
Thanks mate, although I have included Johnson in the 39+4+2. Wouldn't that mean you have 1 spare spot and then if Johnson is on inactive you have 2? I dont really know, I thought I had just got my head around how this all works but apparently not!

Thanks mate, although I have included Johnson in the 39+4+2. Wouldn't that mean you have 1 spare spot and then if Johnson is on inactive you have 2? I dont really know, I thought I had just got my head around how this all works but apparently not!
Plus we can only have one Irishman on the Cat B list

This as well Tom Daniels

Probably what has thrown you out. Rule changed in recent years to only enable one Cat B rookie. We have two so one had to be placed on the Cat A rookie list.
No you're still allowed 3 Cat B rookies but only 1 can be Irish

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Players still Available as SPP that fit our list

Daniel Mott
Darcy Chirgwin
Callum Park
Jai Jackson
Darcy Cassar