Essendon
FB Saad Ambrose Francis
HB Redman Hurley Gleeson
C Merrett Heppell McKenna
HF Smith Daniher Fantasia
FF Walla Hooker Stringer
R Bellchambers Hibberd Shiel
INT McGrath Parish McKernan Langford
I would swap McKenna and Redman. Redman can take a mark and has excellent vision and delivery going forward. McKenna's main strength is his run off HB and his unpredictability. One of the team's weaknesses is our failure to shepherd the ball carrier - I actually think we're really lazy on that side of things. Players like Saad and McKenna would be even more potent.

Every player in that forwardline is capable of kicking multiple goals - love it.

I'm rethinking Bellchambers. Does Phillips break even with Bellchambers?

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I would swap McKenna and Redman. Redman can take a mark and has excellent vision and delivery going forward. McKenna's main strength is his run off HB and his unpredictability. One of the team's weaknesses is our failure to shepherd the ball carrier - I actually think we're really lazy on that side of things. Players like Saad and McKenna would be even more potent.

Every player in that forwardline is capable of kicking multiple goals - love it.

I'm rethinking Bellchambers. Does Phillips break even with Bellchambers?
Maybe. If Bellcho gets to round 1 healthy then he'll be given first crack. Then it'll be a case of how his body holds up during the season. He is definitely past his prime but is still capable when he's fit.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
FB Saad Ambrose Francis
HB Redman Hurley Gleeson
C Merrett Heppell McGrath
HF Smith Daniher Fantasia
FF Walla McKernan Stringer
R Bellchambers Parish Shiel
INT McKenna Zaharakis Hooker Clarke

Thoughts on each line:
Defense: Love our small defenders, real area of strength for us. Whilst I do think Hurley/Ambrose and Francis will be given first shot most weeks, the question remains what do we do against the bigger forwards, though I do think Ambrose did show some good form even against the bigger blokes. Expect Hooker to be a swingman that plays some roles down back and Francis/Ambrose may play some roles up forward.

Midfield: At full strength I think we have some genuine quality in there. I like the addition of Cutler to give us a taller running type with good skills. Heppell will be improved and Smith will really help take us to a new level in terms of defensive pressure. Bellchambers borderline to be above Phillips - far from decided. Zaka will still play seniors and will spend a mix of time on the wing and then also in defense and up forward.

Forward Line: I expect Daniher/McKernan and Hooker to be the main tall forward targets. Walla and Fantasia give us the ground level pace and defensive pressure. Even though I have him slightly outside of the best 22 I expect Snelling to play a good number of games and I'm not counting out Ham either. Our forward line has some genuine quality - but can it stay fit?

Bench: A few blokes that can play a number of roles. I still expect Guelfi to play plenty of games due to his versatility. I expect we'll see 3 smalls, one tall most weeks. The Francis/Hooker dynamic will allow us to switch our structures up semi regularly (got to allow them time to settle but here and there it will be used within games and for certain matchups).

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I would love to see Phillips knock Bellchambers off as #1 ruck. He just is not good enough to be an instant selection and needs to do more around the ground

Bellchambers best is still good enough to influence matches, he just doesn't do it consistently enough to be an automatic selection anymore though.

Swerving Irv

Senior List
Dec 2, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
G'day all, long time lurker here. I realise there's probably been a million best 22s for 2020 posted, but here's my effort.

Fb- Hooker, Ambrose, Saad

Chb- Redman, Hurley, McKenna

C- Cutler, Heppell, Merrett

Chf- Tipungwuti, Daniher, McGrath

Ff- Fantasia, McKernan, Stringer

Fol- Bellchambers/Philips, Shiel, Smith

Int- Parish, Francis, Hibberd, Gleeson

Depth:
*Zaharakis- Think he lacks toughness and desperation at times (when not having a stint inside), would like to see Hibberd given first crack for the opening rounds. Not sure Rutten/Caracella will tolerate his coasting through games.

*Mosquito- Expect to play games 2021 onwards.

*Langford- Think he'll find it hard to crack a spot in the side- forward line's crowded and Hibberd's a fair dinkum contested ball winner.

*Laverde- See above- Effectively competing with Stringer for a spot.

*Begley- Looks fit, but needs to start winning more ball in the VFL as a midfielder before getting another look in.

*Townsend- Should play a few games, but don't especially rate him, toughness and straight kicking aside.

Snelling
Clarke
Draper
Guelfi
Ridley
Zerk-Thatcher
Gown
Stewart

Some handy depth with those above names, would like to see Zerk play early on if Daniher's not fit and Hooker's up front.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Saad Hurley Hooker
Redman Ambrose Francis

3x talls, 2 of which are great readers of the play (Francis/Hooker)
Hurley and Ambrose as the lock down defenders

TBC Heppell Shiel
Merrett Parish Smith

Our best mids. Support to come around the ground and off the bench

McKenna McKernan Fantasia
Walla Daniher Stringer

The 3 most dangerous close to goal. The 3 most mobile at HF.
Really like the idea of McKenna and Raz getting up on the wings and running at goal.

Langford McGrath Zaka Townsend
Langers can play fwd or middle. As can Townsend.
McGrath adept as an inside/outside mid who can go back or forward.
Zaka i feel is an experienced choice here and probably most at threat from a break out

Ridley Ham Cutler

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
FB: Hurley - Hooker - Saad
HB: Mckenna - Ambrose - Gleeson
C: Zaharakis - Heppell - Merrett
HF: Walla - Daniher - McGrath
FF: Fantasia - Mckernan - Stringer
R: Bellchambers - Shiel - Smith
IC: Parish - Redman - Langford - Snelling

Emg: Francis - Ridley - Ham - Cutler

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I noticed during the welcome vid for the draftees, some core values plastered on the wall now: Ruthless and Uncompromising.
I'm not sure if those words were there last year, but I like what Rutten and Cara are trying to bring to the culture. God knows we need it.

Interesting then that some are still including Zaharakis and Langford. Neither personify those values.

IMO, the only ones who do are;
Ambrose
Smith
Redman...

So, Cutler, Hibberd and Townsend need to harden us up. Langers especially should take note. Hopefully the penny drops.

vass44

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Does Townsend effectively go straight on the list if Johnson or someone else is on the LTI list - if so surely we have to try him? I like the idea of Townsend/Stringer and Hibberd rotating as inside bulls. On that premise starting 22 could be;-

Hooker Ambrose McKenna
Redman Hurley Saad
Merrett Stringer McGrath
Townsend Joe Tippa
Fanta McKernan Smith

Bellcho/Phillips Heppell Shiel

Hibberd Parish Francis Zakka

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
There is some serious overrating of Phillips in here, he doesn’t get close to knocking TBC off number one spot.
And as much as it pains me to say this but Zaharakis is still apart of our best 22. He may not be come round 23, 2020 but as it stands he will more than likely start round 1 for us. Even with all the inclusions we've had.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
He is still better than Phillips which is concerning

Not really. TBC is very old. Phillips isn't that much younger but isn't declining due to age and I think capable of improvement.

Maybe it's concerning for 2020 but I think Draper plus whatshisname from the draft is good long term.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not really. TBC is very old. Phillips isn't that much younger but isn't declining due to age and I think capable of improvement.

Maybe it's concerning for 2020 but I think Draper plus whatshisname from the draft is good long term.

That was what it was reffering to. Tom Bellchambers is turning 31, Phillips is turning 29. Not much between the two of them. If anything, Phillips will get games on the back of TBC injury history.

Anyways, for all the who ha, Bellchambers will be given first crack at the number 1 ruck position.

carloss

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2007
around
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
And as much as it pains me to say this but Zaharakis is still apart of our best 22. He may not be come round 23, 2020 but as it stands he will more than likely start round 1 for us. Even with all the inclusions we've had.

Not sure where Zaka is going to play. They tried him down back and it didn't work. No room in the forward line for him. He's got competition to play on the wing with Ham/Cutler/McGrath and any other mids they put there.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Would love to see Begley put in the midfield through the VFL. Has lost a few kgs and could be solid.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure where Zaka is going to play. They tried him down back and it didn't work. No room in the forward line for him. He's got competition to play on the wing with Ham/Cutler/McGrath and any other mids they put there.

Think he’s still ahead of Ham and don’t really like McGrath on a wing personally.

McGrath is better on-ball or in defence than on a wing, think the wing type role is between Cutler and Zaharakis for R1

Back