Opinion Is Josh Jenkins in our best 22?

Is Josh Jenkins in our best 22?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thge answer is obvious though.
When he had a very good list that was also hungry, he succeeded with your premiership.
Since that time, the premiership list has been eroded, and despite efforts and top-ups to keep it afloat, he has simply not been able to get them into a GF.
The question maybe should be- how does he keep us in the top 8, or top 4, so often?
In EVERY one of those seasons, I have never entered our finals campaign thinking we were the team to beat, unlike 07, & 08.
That's what rankles a few I reckon. That the truth is that Scott has largely performed to expectation based on the list we have had, and in a couple of years overachieved. While Wells with the lack of very high draft picks has overachieved to keep us in finals after such a list turnover.

A well run club we are.

That's what rankles a few I reckon. That the truth is that Scott has largely performed to expectation based on the list we have had, and in a couple of years overachieved. While Wells with the lack of very high draft picks has overachieved to keep us in finals after such a list turnover.

A well run club we are.
Yep, agree with all of that.

A well run club we are.
Scott has had the best list in the comp since 2016. He has dramtically underachieved with the list he has had.

I actually agree with Dal Santo for once

Just glancing over the last couple of pages .. this thread seems to be just as much about scott and well and some well worn debates ..as much as JJ.. perhaps its becuase of the recruitment of someone like him opens up that line of thought as it did for Ling and Delsanto..

Atpit I really am not sure what the side looks like .. does Jenkins play , do we push Freddie in , even Steven etc..do we really just carry on from where we were etc.. or do we really change it..

Id say now that all the new names are on the list ..how they train and look PS will have a lot to do with how we start .. who is given what role and who is on our best 22 for the early rounds.

Not only has geelong had the best list during this period but the gap between our list and the next best was greater then the gap between geelong 2009-11 and its next best.
You’re entitled to your own opinion.
Just as you’re entitled to be wrong, as you are

Not only has geelong had the best list during this period but the gap between our list and the next best was greater then the gap between geelong 2009-11 and its next best.

If lists were only 6-10 players, maybe.

Thge answer is obvious though.
When he had a very good list that was also hungry, he succeeded with your premiership.
Since that time, the premiership list has been eroded, and despite efforts and top-ups to keep it afloat, he has simply not been able to get them into a GF.
The question maybe should be- how does he keep us in the top 8, or top 4, so often?
In EVERY one of those seasons, I have never entered our finals campaign thinking we were the team to beat, unlike 07, & 08.

That's only one part of it. Even if you didn't think they were a very good chance (as we certainly were in 2013, 2016, and 2019 at least).

Frequently in finals in the last 8 years, we were beaten in finals by teams we had either finished higher on the ladder than, or had also beaten during home and away (in 2013, 2017, and 2019 it was both). That isn't so easily explained away. The list can't be great in home and away but suddenly poor in September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's only one part of it. Even if you didn't think they were a very good chance (as we certainly were in 2013, 2016, and 2019 at least).

Frequently in finals in the last 8 years, we were beaten in finals by teams we had either finished higher on the ladder than, or had also beaten during home and away (in 2013, 2017, and 2019 it was both). That isn't so easily explained away. The list can't be great in home and away but suddenly poor in September.
Not realistic chance in 13 without Boris, Simpson, Chappy, Hawkins.
This year, Tigers were easily the best team. It's easy for some to get angry and feel as if we blew a chance, but really, we were beaten by Lions in Brisbane while Tigers smashed them in a final, and then ran over us in a half of footy after having been lack-lustre in the first half. To toy with us like that, as they did with GWS is significant.
Again, whatever year you select, you hope we could go further, but deep down, you know we were not the best.

Simply wrong or deluded. You need to look at other teams more objectively, if that is possible for you.
Whatever you think, JJ should help our KF set up. I hope again he is Pods like.

How it should be with a senior coach I would have thought.

When a list manager goes up to the premiership dais I might believe they have more sway than the coach. Haven't seen it yet.
You can’t fit an entire football club on the dais. But it takes the entire football club to win a premiership.

Cotchin spoke about this and how the smallest things within the club make the biggest difference.

So who do you put more focus on given our last eight years of finals efforts - Scott or Wells?

By what you're saying, if the players fail it's the list manager's fault for not getting better players to the club. Which also means Scott deserves little credit for his home and away record as Wells did the important part.
Mostly, if the players fail (in games), I blame the players. They really are the only ones that can influence the game.

They aren't mutually exclusive though.

During trade period (plus before & since) there's been comments regarding Scott & his apparent hatred/lack of respect of rucks.

After Smith returned to GC some put the decision on Scott & how he'd be happy as he doesn't like rucks (according to some, yet to actually read or hear confirmation of that); pretty sure it was even suggested that it's Scott fault we don't have a good ruck

The question becomes, what responsibility does Wells & co play in the recruiting (drafting or trading) of rucks to club and the retention of said players versus the development of the player which would be the responsibility of the coaching staff; guessing maybe midfield coach has the most to do with our rucks as we don't seem to have a full time ruck coach
As an aside about rucks - we have a very average ruck. We finished first last year with him. We didn’t lose the final against the tigers because of him. The premiers have two average/decent rucks. They didn’t win the premiership because of those two players.

The focus on rucks is very strange.

Not realistic chance in 13 without Boris, Simpson, Chappy, Hawkins.
This year, Tigers were easily the best team. It's easy for some to get angry and feel as if we blew a chance, but really, we were beaten by Lions in Brisbane while Tigers smashed them in a final, and then ran over us in a half of footy after having been lack-lustre in the first half. To toy with us like that, as they did with GWS is significant.
Again, whatever year you select, you hope we could go further, but deep down, you know we were not the best.

Enright played in the Qualifying Final.
Hawkins played in the Semi final win and the Prelim final.
Chapman played in the Qualifying Final and the Semi final. Pretty sure he didn't select himself as the sub in his 250th game.

Simpson was a legitimate omission. But our record that year with him was 4-2. We won tons of games without him - against quality teams too. Our record against the top 4 teams heading into the finals was 5-0. But apparently we weren't a realistic chance. Yeah right. Anything to not criticise the club or especially Scott.

Enright played in the Qualifying Final.
Hawkins played in the Semi final win and the Prelim final.
Chapman played in the Qualifying Final and the Semi final. Pretty sure he didn't select himself as the sub in his 250th game.

Simpson was a legitimate omission. But our record that year with him was 4-2. We won tons of games without him - against quality teams too. Our record against the top 4 teams heading into the finals was 5-0. But apparently we weren't a realistic chance. Yeah right. Anything to not criticise the club or especially Scott.
We never had all those 4 in continuity for finals as you know. Realistic chances relate to potency in finals, and we could not beat Freo at home due to those combined omissions.
Simpson going down was a big loss in 13.
At least this year we have great big man depth.

Last edited:
Best defence. Most talented midfield. One of the top 3 key forwards of the era. Best home and away record.

You could probably throw in best home ground advantage too. Certainly one of the toughest.

It's amazing how many qualities the team has (and many posters will burst arteries if you argue otherwise), but being the slightest chance to win any game in September is not among them.

We never had all those 4 in continuity for finals as you know. Realistic chances relate to potency in finals, and we could not beat Freo at home due to those combined omissions.
Simpson going down was a big loss in 13.
At least this year we have great big man depth.

Until we get eliminated from the finals. And then it'll be excused with "well we don't have the players" or some variation.

Until we get eliminated from the finals. And then it'll be excused with "well we don't have the players" or some variation.
What are you seriously expecting from us next season?
I'll be very surprised if we make top 4, but I think it's our last chance with the crop of talented players we have, GAJ, Danger, Taylor, Selwood, Hawkins, JENKINS.
If we get eliminated after making finals, that to me is exactly what I am expecting.

Last edited:
Just glancing over the last couple of pages .. this thread seems to be just as much about scott and well and some well worn debates ..as much as JJ.. perhaps its becuase of the recruitment of someone like him opens up that line of thought as it did for Ling and Delsanto..

Atpit I really am not sure what the side looks like .. does Jenkins play , do we push Freddie in , even Steven etc..do we really just carry on from where we were etc.. or do we really change it..

Id say now that all the new names are on the list ..how they train and look PS will have a lot to do with how we start .. who is given what role and who is on our best 22 for the early rounds.
Won some money on Even Stevens.:)

Back