2nd Test; Australia v Pakistan @ Adelaide Over (D/N) November 29-December 3

Remove this Banner Ad

You missed my point.They largely put themselves in that position. In any case the end result was more or less the same as the first test. No pink ball or night play in that match to blame was there?

We'll find out soon (when we play NZ) how much of this series result was due to Australia playing well as opposed to Pakistan being poor.

I know their ineptitude with the ball got them in that position in the first place, it doesn’t mean I can’t have some sympathy for the batsmen

I actually came away thinking that Pakistan have the bones of decent side despite the one sided score.

It was pretty much just the same tour from three years ago though, the batting did ok on flat tracks but the bowling was ineffective and pummeled at 4 an over.

This myth about pakistans endless bowling riches needs to die off as it's them not the batsmen who are the biggest issue on these tours.

It was pretty much just the same tour from three years ago though, the batting did ok on flat tracks but the bowling was ineffective and pummeled at 4 an over.

This myth about pakistans endless bowling riches needs to die off as it's them not the batsmen who are the biggest issue on these tours.

I don’t think it’s a myth as far as ability goes but f*** me they know how to mismanage them

I actually came away thinking that Pakistan have the bones of decent side despite the one sided score.

That's the Pakistan conundrum isn't it? On talent they look to have enough pieces to compete/build around but somehow the sum of it's parts always ends up less than you would expect.

They have the bones of a reasonable batting side, but their bowling stocks seem desperately poor and far short of international standard. They'll be struggling for a long time with that bowling attack.

Everyone was calling for Mohammad Abass like he'd be their saviour after the first test, which made me think he's some kind of star, but he turned out just as pathetic as all the other trundlers. Apart from Shaheen, who didn't disgrace himself, they were abject.

They have the bones of a reasonable batting side, but their bowling stocks seem desperately poor and far short of international standard. They'll be struggling for a long time with that bowling attack.

Everyone was calling for Mohammad Abass like he'd be their saviour after the first test, which made me think he's some kind of star, but he turned out just as pathetic as all the other trundlers. Apart from Shaheen, who didn't disgrace himself, they were abject.

Steve Smith made 4 in the first test.

it didn’t suddenly make him garbage. Lyon took 2 for heaps in the first test. It didn’t make him garbage.

abbas has credits in the bank and one test doesn’t change that

If he had so many credits in the bank why didn't he even get a gig in the first test?
He's almost 10kph down in pace. He is either out of form or carrying a niggle. Maybe they were trying to get him right?

It didn't pan out but that's cricket, the players are human not robots.

If he had so many credits in the bank why didn't he even get a gig in the first test?

because they picked the wrong attack.

the bloke destroys Australia in the UAE where aside from a giant like Jason Holder or Shannon Gabriel I cant remember any quick prospering recently
he has been wicketless just 3 times in 27 innings before the Adelaide match.
For context Pat Cummins has been wicketkess 3 times in his last 27, Starc has done it 4 times, Hazlewood 3 times,

you don’t take 66 wickets in 14 matches by accident

Seemed like misbah really wanted to throw young blokes in this tour but imran khan taking wickets in the tour game complicated things so rather than choose between imran and the youngster he picked both it was just poor selection, you play abbas and pick either khan or the rookie not both.

Not sure any of it would matter though, yasir is meant to be world class bowler and leader for pakistan but he has been humiliated twice now in our conditions, if your senior spinner averages 90 at an economy over 4 in a country your bowlers pretty much have to b the best in the world to overcome that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seemed like misbah really wanted to throw young blokes in this tour but imran khan taking wickets in the tour game complicated things so rather than choose between imran and the youngster he picked both it was just poor selection, you play abbas and pick either khan or the rookie not both.

Not sure any of it would matter though, yasir is meant to be world class bowler and leader for pakistan but he has been humiliated twice now in our conditions, if your senior spinner averages 90 at an economy over 4 in a country your bowlers pretty much have to b the best in the world to overcome that.

it’s outrageous how easily Australia have handled Yasir because it’s not as though he’s a MacGill type leg spinner who mixes utter trash with the totally bamboozling, he is accurate and asks a lot of questions but he’s just been useless. That’s not to say he didn’t bowl some trash either but he’s generally fairly accurate for a wrist spinner.

probably no cocincidence that the only spinner in recent memory to have any success here from overseas, like Lyon, was a bounce bowler in Anil Kumble in 03-04

He certainly learned a lot from his very poor tour in 99 where he really just fired them down rather than use his height and bounce, one of a select few spinners to actually come back from a thumping over here and get it right the next time.

Vettori was another who came back from a tough first tour over here and ended up being pretty consistent.

Last edited:
it’s outrageous how easily Australia have handled Yasir because it’s not as though he’s a MacGill type leg spinner who mixes utter trash with the totally bamboozling, he is accurate and asks a lot of questions but he’s just been useless. That’s not to say he didn’t bowl some trash either but he’s generally fairly accurate for a wrist spinner.

probably no cocincidence that the only spinner in recent memory to have any success here from overseas, like Lyon, was a bounce bowler in Anil Kumble in 03-04
Swan was pretty good in the Ashes they won here too.

Lyon's record in Australia is honestly remarkable.

I could see Abbas struggling in Australia from a mile. He simply doesn't have the pace to trouble Australia on the flat Australian wickets. I know he bowls spectacularly in the flat roads of the UAE but Australian conditions, even if they're flat, have their own distinct character. Otherwise someone like Yadav who is super impressive in India would wreak havoc in Australia too, but we all know otherwise. I actually expected Abbas to prosper in SA, but he struggled there too. I think he'll struggle in NZ conditions too but he should prosper in the England tour coming up.

This is not true. Australia have the best bowler in the world but India has the overall best attack in the world.
When you have the bowling depth to be able to field either 2 frontline spinners of below 25 averages with the ball, or to be able to field quicks that can bowl medium pace, fast, swing, seam, and go for s**t all runs, you're onto a pretty good thing.

Still think Shami's one of the most underrated bowlers in world cricket.

If jeet Raval averages above 10 this test series I'd be very surprised. His only utility is seeing out lots of dot balls. He doesn't score many runs and scores them extremely slowly when he does. Combine that with being probably the worst fielder in international cricket outside of the entire Bangladesh team and you get a serious weak link. It'll be left to ross and Kane to score all their runs like normal

If jeet Raval averages above 10 this test series I'd be very surprised. His only utility is seeing out lots of dot balls. He doesn't score many runs and scores them extremely slowly when he does. Combine that with being probably the worst fielder in international cricket outside of the entire Bangladesh team and you get a serious weak link. It'll be left to ross and Kane to score all their runs like normal
Like normal?

I mean yes WillIamson and Taylor are clearly the best two but the records of Latham, Nicholls, Watling and even de Grandhomme make it pretty clear they produce fairly regularly.

Like normal?

I mean yes WillIamson and Taylor are clearly the best two but the records of Latham, Nicholls, Watling and even de Grandhomme make it pretty clear they produce fairly regularly.
Fair point on Watling but Latham punishes poor attacks on flat pitches ala de grandhomme and nicholls. Raval lol if he lasts one over each innings it'll be a win to him. Watch out for him to drop fifty catches too

Fair point on Watling but Latham punishes poor attacks on flat pitches ala de grandhomme and nicholls. Raval lol if he lasts one over each innings it'll be a win to him. Watch out for him to drop fifty catches too

Every side needs a Marcus Harris.

harsh on Latham, he’s played bugger all cricket in most nations and in all bar South Africa he’s scored at least some runs, not necessarily at a great average. He hit a 47 at the Gabba and 50 in the low scoring pink ball test at Adelaide last time. In his only two tests in England he hit 84 and 57, split by some poor scores in his other two innings. He’s improved a bit since then.
his partner is of far greater concern

Remove this Banner Ad

Back