List Mgmt. Welcome to Hawthorn Will Golds - pick 30, 2018 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Ever since I watched his draft highlights I’ve been extremely bullish on this kid. I remember watching it and thinking “how the hell did he make it through to the rookie draft?”. I think in the fullness of time he will prove to be a steal, might be a few years away yet.

Missed a year in 2017 due to an ACL injury, I believe.

I'm bullish, also - I watched him at the intra-club game at the start of the year and he was involved in everything; finds the ball, hard runner and neat disposals.

181cm, so not as short as you might think. Just needs to jump on the Fevola diet...

1571046363738.png

Will Golds came 2nd behind Smith in the recent 2k time trial... and in the vision he looked to have been hitting the weights.

In JLT 1 in 2019 (his first match) he collected 25 touches. He then excited everyone at Box Hill all year, but he was too physically slight to debut.

Golds will be the bolter in 2020!

Will Golds came 2nd behind Smith in the recent 2k time trial... and in the vision he looked to have been hitting the weights.

In JLT 1 in 2019 (his first match) he collected 25 touches. He then excited everyone at Box Hill all year, but he was too physically slight to debut.

Golds will be the bolter in 2020!
Morrison also looked bigger. I didn’t recognise him!

will looks a very craft player and let’s hope he comes on as we will need to replace Henderson soon.

will looks a very craft player and let’s hope he comes on as we will need to replace Henderson soon.
Will by his own admission ran out of steam after a few rounds of football. He found it harder and harder to recover and back up for games.
He knows now what to expect hopefully his body is better prepared

Will by his own admission ran out of steam after a few rounds of football. He found it harder and harder to recover and back up for games.
He knows now what to expect hopefully his body is better prepared
Love your insights TFP. I know Axeman gets a lot of kudos for his reports, but I recall the days when you were the number one training watcher. Whenever you post I always read with interest.

Love your insights TFP. I know Axeman gets a lot of kudos for his reports, but I recall the days when you were the number one training watcher. Whenever you post I always read with interest.
Thanks mate but you know me I'm just a lazy ass

I agree Bris, I have high hopes for him as a player and yes to replace Hendo :hearteyes: would be ideal
Do you think he will get a look in for a game next year?

I agree Bris, I have high hopes for him as a player and yes to replace Hendo :hearteyes: would be ideal
Do you think he will get a look in for a game next year?
Hard to tell. Have to see him playing well in preseason and early in the regular season before he could realistically hope to debut. Quite a few would be ahead of him.

He has/had two weaknesses IMO.
Too slight and a touch slow off the mark.
Maybe if he has put on some muscle he can compete better and mitigate the other weakness - here's hoping anyhow.

He has/had two weaknesses IMO.
Too slight and a touch slow off the mark.
Maybe if he has put on some muscle he can compete better and mitigate the other weakness - here's hoping anyhow.
The slow bit is interesting He does look a touch slow but still seemed to have time

I also vaguely remember someone putting up the speedometer from the AFL app one game and he recorded the fastest on the field ???
This was surprising at the time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The slow bit is interesting He does look a touch slow but still seemed to have time

I also vaguely remember someone putting up the speedometer from the AFL app one game and he recorded the fastest on the field ???

I don't think he is slow (but i may be wrong) because you are right he does have heaps of time and space. I would have thought his top speed is not as high as Smith, but his ability to dart around over shorter distances is a strength. We all need to see more of him, in the open spaces of AFL grounds.

He is also a booming kick for his size, like Moore. They can both dob a goal outside 50.

he doesn't have a quick first step, doesn't mean he can't get moving though

That first step can be an issue though

Yup, not sure what people are watching if they think he has a step or burst.
Lovely player in just about every other sense, very happy to hear he's stacked on some size as he doesn't lack heart or intent.

Yup, not sure what people are watching if they think he has a step or burst.
Lovely player in just about every other sense, very happy to hear he's stacked on some size as he doesn't lack heart or intent.

I don't know Flinch. I would say that he does have a step and burst.

For some players, like Pendlebury, it is visually deceptive.

Obviously with Golds we have a lot to learn about him.

He has a nice stutter step that creates space. He does not have that explosive breakaway but not sure his game depends on that. He can work in close and can run long - that is his go. It seemed clear he blew up early. Don't mind this kid.

He has a nice stutter step that creates space. He does not have that explosive breakaway but not sure his game depends on that. He can work in close and can run long - that is his go. It seemed clear he blew up early. Don't mind this kid.
I was talking about Harry Morrison, I've just noticed which thread we are in and now I'm not sure if you're talking about Harry Morrison.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back