Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sounds like a plan.

Just putting the order in and it's a good time to be buying from Grape and Grain with 20% off!

All of the below plus a thermometer ($11) came to $57.50

So if you wanted to make a nice ~6% full flavoured amber IPA, where you should notice the malt character, is order 300 g of Gladfield Aurora malt, 200 g of Gladfield Shepherds Delight malt and 100 g of medium crystal malt. All milled. Then also buy two kit tins of coopers pale ale or similar lightly hopped kit, and 80g each of Simcoe and Amarillo hops

Reminds me I should put in an order while this sale’s on
Having a go at your recipe tomorrow. Just one question was with the grain bag, I read somewhere to keep it off the bottom of the pot. Is that something you’d be worried about?
Also any benefit in throwing the grains and then the hops in bags to then not have to strain or could we expect some leakage and need to strain anyways?
Cheers.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Having a go at your recipe tomorrow. Just one question was with the grain bag, I read somewhere to keep it off the bottom of the pot. Is that something you’d be worried about?
Also any benefit in throwing the grains and then the hops in bags to then not have to strain or could we expect some leakage and need to strain anyways?
Cheers.
Nah if you use bags then you can just squeeze them and that will do the straining for you. Any small particles will drop out of the beer eventually when it’s cold crashed.

You shouldnt need to have the stove on with the grain in the pot - just heat the water up to about 68 degrees and then add the grain (either loose or in the bag). Then lid on and wrap it in a towel with the heat off for 30 mins. It should keep the temp enough to extract the sugars from the grain.

Slightly different if you’re doing a 60 min mash in a bag, where you may need to turn the heat on to maintain a temp. But steeping doesn’t need to be held at an exact temp. Just somewhere in the 60°’s

Same with hops - you can basically chuck them in as soon as you shut the heat off, so no risk of the bag burning at the bottom of the pot

hope that helps

Nah if you use bags then you can just squeeze them and that will do the straining for you. Any small particles will drop out of the beer eventually when it’s cold crashed.

You shouldnt need to have the stove on with the grain in the pot - just heat the water up to about 68 degrees and then add the grain (either loose or in the bag). Then lid on and wrap it in a towel with the heat off for 30 mins. It should keep the temp enough to extract the sugars from the grain.

Slightly different if you’re doing a 60 min mash in a bag, where you may need to turn the heat on to maintain a temp. But steeping doesn’t need to be held at an exact temp. Just somewhere in the 60°’s

Same with hops - you can basically chuck them in as soon as you shut the heat off, so no risk of the bag burning at the bottom of the pot

hope that helps
Cheers, mate. Got delayed until tomorrow. Here’s hoping for all goes well!

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Top one and two tins. You thinking it’s a little low?
Nah not really - I mean you’re not going to get a huge amount of gravity points from that grain anyway, and the tins are already extracted so you couldn’t have done anything wrong with them.

I would add that I know of cases where gravity samples have been taken and extract hasn’t fully mixed/blended in and it’s shown up as lower or higher than it actually is.

I wouldn’t even think about it - will be keen to hear how it tastes though!

Nah not really - I mean you’re not going to get a huge amount of gravity points from that grain anyway, and the tins are already extracted so you couldn’t have done anything wrong with them.

I would add that I know of cases where gravity samples have been taken and extract hasn’t fully mixed/blended in and it’s shown up as lower or higher than it actually is.

I wouldn’t even think about it - will be keen to hear how it tastes though!

I know exactly what you’re talking about. The first reading was 1035, which had me scratching my head. I noticed there was still extract sticking to the spoon so I gave it a good stir and then it got up to 1054.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I know exactly what you’re talking about. The first reading was 1035, which had me scratching my head. I noticed there was still extract sticking to the spoon so I gave it a good stir and then it got up to 1054.
👍🏼 Yeah 1054 sounds bang on. I used to do 18L batches so wasn’t entirely sure.

If you wanted to bump it up to ~6% alc you could always boil up 200g of basic sugar (or 250g of dry malt extract if you have any handy) in bit of water, and add it to the fermenter a day after the yeast has kicked into gear.

👍🏼 Yeah 1054 sounds bang on. I used to do 18L batches so wasn’t entirely sure.

If you wanted to bump it up to ~6% alc you could always boil up 200g of basic sugar (or 250g of dry malt extract if you have any handy) in bit of water, and add it to the fermenter a day after the yeast has kicked into gear.

Happy with the 5.5-5.8 odd. Let’s see how it goes. The lower ABV the quicker we drink it and brew another anyways 👌

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Thinking about starting a brew this weekend to sit over the next few weeks while I’m over in WA. Might do a saison as my yeast blend can take a bit to finish up

Can’t go past a good saison in summer

Jun 28, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Thinking about starting a brew this weekend to sit over the next few weeks while I’m over in WA. Might do a saison as my yeast blend can take a bit to finish up

Can’t go past a good saison in summer

Im a bit embarrassed to say this but I don't think I've actually tried a Saison..... or not that i recall.
I might grab one tomorrow after work.

I just bottled my first Kolch and I'm looking forward to trying that during this hot weather.
Now I need to think of something to brew next.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Im a bit embarrassed to say this but I don't think I've actually tried a Saison..... or not that i recall.
I might grab one tomorrow after work.

I just bottled my first Kolch and I'm looking forward to trying that during this hot weather.
Now I need to think of something to brew next.
My current keg’s a kolsch. So smashable.

Grab one of the saison Dupont longnecks for your first. Don’t bother with a local microbrewery version, unless it’s La Sirene

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
My kegerator is cactus after moving house. Not sure what the guys have done to it but I have 50L of a hop hog clone waiting to go on tap and no serving fridge. Going to have to fire up my fermenting fridge and dust off the Pluto gun I think 😒

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
My kegerator is cactus after moving house. Not sure what the guys have done to it but I have 50L of a hop hog clone waiting to go on tap and no serving fridge. Going to have to fire up my fermenting fridge and dust off the Pluto gun I think 😒
Damnnn

well beats my arrangement - I use my fermenting fridge with one of those $2 picnic tap things on the end

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Damnnn

well beats my arrangement - I use my fermenting fridge with one of those $2 picnic tap things on the end

My fermenting fridge is now in an uninsulated garage so opening and closing the door is going to rack up a big power bill as it gets damn hot in there. I might have to move the fridge into the alfresco or something.

Pretty pissed off about the fridge as it's not that old, really. It's well out of warranty but I don't hear about them breaking often. It was working absolutely fine, unplugged it, had a couple of bozos move it to the new house, now it won't get cool. Luckily I bought it through a mates business so I should at least be able to get some parts to throw at it to try and find the issue.

I don't even know where my Pluto gun is haha. But I have the tap off my little 5L keg I can fit to the cornys I guess. Beer problems eh?

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
My fermenting fridge is now in an uninsulated garage so opening and closing the door is going to rack up a big power bill as it gets damn hot in there. I might have to move the fridge into the alfresco or something.

Pretty pissed off about the fridge as it's not that old, really. It's well out of warranty but I don't hear about them breaking often. It was working absolutely fine, unplugged it, had a couple of bozos move it to the new house, now it won't get cool. Luckily I bought it through a mates business so I should at least be able to get some parts to throw at it to try and find the issue.

I don't even know where my Pluto gun is haha. But I have the tap off my little 5L keg I can fit to the cornys I guess. Beer problems eh?
Was it a keg king or keg land fridge?

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Was it a keg king or keg land fridge?

Before the time of Keg Land but I don't know the brand. My mate buys them through Beermart. The temp controller units do play up on them and I've had to swap one of those out before so that'll be the first thing I try in case it's shorted itself out from being unplugged and plugged back in. Otherwise the bozos might have pierced a hose or something in the back so it can't get cool any more.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Much planned while you're over here Spacey? When's the last time you shot down to the South West?
Came across a few months back, but otherwise haven’t been since last Xmas.

No real plans, spending the Xmas period with the fam, might go down to busso for a bit before that to see my brother, prob have a chilled NYE in Perth at a mate’s place.

keen to check out Rocky Ridge in busso

Back