thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
Footy in Melbourne for VFL/AFL for a longtime before the other codes stole the moniker

League for RL in NSW QLD

Soccer for Association Football all around the nation
I would honestly just prefer it if we officially changed the name to footy, Australian Footy League.
Everyone already calls it that anyway and It would just stop this stupid conversation (in this country anyway).

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would honestly just prefer it if we officially changed the name to footy, Australian Footy League.
Everyone already calls it that anyway and It would just stop this stupid conversation (in this country anyway).

Abandon the name "football" (which is still extensively used btw) for its nickname "footy" because another code wants to insist on using the term exclusively without qualifier?

Also, you do realise the other major code in this country uses "footy" as much as Australian football does?

I grew up in an area where soccer was certainly played more than football. There was no "stupid conversation" then. I don't remember such a stupid conversation until I met a pom at uni

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
Abandon the name "football" (which is still extensively used btw) for its nickname "footy" because another code wants to insist on using the term exclusively without qualifier?

Also, you do realise the other major code in this country uses "footy" as much as Australian football does?

I grew up in an area where soccer was certainly played more than football. There was no "stupid conversation" then. I don't remember such a stupid conversation until I met a pom at uni
In my opinion, yes. It’s not just one code either, off the top of my head I can think of 6. All these codes have a right to use the name football as well as technically they all evolved from similar roots but I just don’t see the point in it considering the connected world we live in today. I’d rather the game be referred to as footy than AFL. Ideally it would be:
Footy
Soccer
Rugby
Gridiron
League
Gaelic
All of them football codes and none of them owning the name football.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
In my opinion, yes. It’s not just one code either, off the top of my head I can think of 6. All these codes have a right to use the name football as well as technically they all evolved from similar roots but I just don’t see the point in it considering the connected world we live in today. I’d rather the game be referred to as footy than AFL. Ideally it would be:
Footy
Soccer
Rugby
Gridiron
League
Gaelic
All of them football codes and none of them owning the name football.

You've disenfranchised Rugby League twice! Why does Union get to still be called Rugby exclusively under this peace agreement? Can the AFL and NRL still use "League" or do we need to change the "Ls"?

The issue is not that different sports use the word, it's when claims are made to it for universal use

Here's the problem....

And the term, Szymanski says, was widely recognized in England through the first half of the twentieth century, according to data he crunched from books and newspapers. It became even more prevalent after the World War II — driven, he suggests, by the number of American soldiers in the country and the infatuation with American culture that came after the war.

But by the 1980s, Brits started to turn against the word. “The penetration of the game into American culture,” Szymanski writes, “has led to backlash against the use of the word in Britain, where it was once considered an innocuous alternative to the word ‘football.'”

This british disease ended up infecting us and so now we are unfortunately stuck with the "stupid conversation"

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
You've disenfranchised Rugby League twice! Why does Union get to still be called Rugby exclusively under this peace agreement? Can the AFL and NRL still use "League" or do we need to change the "Ls"?
Because the sports are already referred to as “League” and “Ruby” amongst their fans.
No, you would not need to replace the “Ls” because it’s already referred to as League around the nation with no issues.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because the sports are already referred to as “League” and “Ruby” amongst their fans.
No, you would not need to replace the “Ls” because it’s already referred to as League around the nation with no issues.

But if we have to lose "football" that we have used for 160 years why would we be able to keep using "League" which now belongs to another sport in the settlement?

If I were rugby league, and I've just been told I need to stop using "footy" "football" and "rugby" when referring to myself, I reckon I'd be pretty insistent on the Australian footy league finding another word for "League"

Anyways, here's a deal, get FIFA and the NFL on board and I promise to go along with this conventional reform

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
But if we have to lose "football" that we have used for 160 years why would we be able to keep using "League" which now belongs to another sport in the settlement?

If I were rugby league, and I've just been told I need to stop using "footy" "football" and "rugby" when referring to myself, I reckon I'd be pretty insistent on the Australian footy league finding another word for "League"

Anyways, here's a deal, get FIFA and the NFL on board and I promise to go along with this conventional reform
I think you’re League example is ridiculous considering it’s literally what it’s already referred to as, it’s just another argument for the sake of arguing.
Anyway we both know it’s not going to change anytime soon (if ever) because humans are stubborn emotional animals but in an idea world this would be a nice solution. In the meantime I’ll continue to scratch my head when I hear the news reporter say “next in Australian football...” and then proceed to talk about the a-league, or when I hear an eight year old say “I play AFL”. But that’s what we’re stuck with for now.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think you’re League example is ridiculous considering it’s literally what it’s already referred to as, it’s just another argument for the sake of arguing.
Anyway we both know it’s not going to change anytime soon (if ever) because humans are stubborn emotional animals but in an idea world this would be a nice solution. In the meantime I’ll continue to scratch my head when I hear the news reporter say “next in Australian football...” and then proceed to talk about the a-league, or when I hear an eight year old say “I play AFL”. But that’s what we’re stuck with for now.

It's ridiculous because its ridiculous. I wasn't being serious

The point is we all get by calling games "football" or "footy" in their own contexts without anyone caring. Your "next in Australian football" example is the problem not Australian Football calling its pro league the Australian football league

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
The Melbourne Herald many years ago maybe 1960s tried to rename Australian Football as Footy but it never grew any legs!

The_Wookie the other day I found this page re Regional ratings, as I haven't looked at this type of info for years and thought I would see what the latest data says.

According to the map NT, all country SA, big chunks of country western NSW and country western Qld don't get counted in regional ratings, maybe 800,000 or more people, ie the bit in darker blue. Does that sound right? I assume there is only one rating agency for regional Australia,

1575533505458.png

They have the following totals for regional markets;
WA..... 559,000 brown
Tas..... 525,000 green
Vic,... 1,202,000 sky blue
SNSW 1,506,000 yellow inc ACT
NNSW 2,201,000 light blue
Qld ... 1,866,000 orange

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The_Wookie the other day I found this page re Regional ratings, as I haven't looked at this type of info for years and thought I would see what the latest data says.

According to the map NT, all country SA, big chunks of country western NSW and country western Qld don't get counted in regional ratings, maybe 800,000 or more people, ie the bit in darker blue. Does that sound right? I assume there is only one rating agency for regional Australia,

View attachment 789690

WA..... 559,000 brown
Tas..... 525,000 green
Qld ... 1,866,000 orange

its kind of right. These are the areas covered by regional TAM. OzTAM covers a fair bit of SA population.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

View attachment 789690

WA..... 559,000 brown
Tas..... 525,000 green
Qld ... 1,866,000 orange

Is there any indication as to how much of the riverina is included in Victoria? "Albury" has 193K listed...half of that would be Albury Wodonga and it the map doesn't suggest it goes too far north of the murray

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
So the gold coast is covered by northern nsw ratings? Not brisbane?
So when they say poor ratings for suns games are they poor ratings in brisbane?
And for regionals thats where the viewers would be, albeit some of the northern rivers audience dont even get suns games on 7mate they get giants and swans games ?

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
On the right hand side there is a Maps and Postcode link that gives you the info.

Aahh, cheers. So it includes Wagga in southern NSW. So it looks more that Sunraysia is excluded and perhaps the western NSW riverina / murray region

And for regionals thats where the viewers would be, albeit some of the northern rivers audience dont even get suns games on 7mate they get giants and swans games ?

It actually appears like it is counted in both! I'm sure there is an explanation though

The Gold Coast has a Ch 9 from Brisbane and a Ch 9 from Gold Coast. It has a Ch 7 from Brisbane and a Ch 7 from Gold Coast. I think the Channel 10 is from Tweed Heads and a Ch 10 from Brisbane. I have a sister living there so I get there once or twice a year and have discussed all the double up channels with her before, especially with time zone differences, so it makes some sense its probably included in both markets, given 25-30 years ago you couldn't get the Brisbane channels on the Gold coast.

I've started a thread on this board for crowd stats for the decade overall:

Crowds in the 2010s

I didn't think those stats exactly belonged in this thread but not being in here also means there's a chance no one will see them. So just a heads up if you're interested.

Back