TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
We need to desperately fix this. I have a couple of suggestions to help fix the problem, mostly stemming from DRS:
When a decision for LBW goes to DRS, check the no-ball, and then immediately do ball tracking. If it is hitting the wickets etc, then check for an edge. But if it is not out there is no need to check for the edge which usually takes the longest.
Second suggestion is to have more limits on the number of DRS reviews, potentially just one per team per innings. This will mean a review will only take place if it is an absolute howler, and will also stop the unnecessary constant reviewing. I suppose keep the review still if umpires call.
Third suggestion is to be more strict overall. We have 90 overs to complete in a day so we complete them. There could be an overall reconfiguration of how the minimum overs are calculated. Introduce a punishment for slow over rates. I'd say 5 runs for every slow over would do the trick. Or every player on the team copping a fine or any punishment that will lead the players to push for the overs to be completed.
No matter what your opinion is on how to correct this issue, I think we can all agree that it is hurting our longest format of the game, and is leading to some casual viewers losing interest.

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Okay, done a few calculations and have come to a radical conclusion! I know this idea may either sound confusing or stupid but I think it makes more sense than what it may come across as when first read.
So, essentially the test is split (for the purpose of this calculation) into days 1-4 and then day 5. We currently have a target of 450 overs for the match but I would like to see this slightly altered to 448 for the ease of calculation. On Days 1-4, we have a 'target' of 112 overs to be completed each day. This is purposely unrealistic and is never actually expected to be achieved. The game for these four days is based on time, with the regular system taking place:
Session 1: 2 hours
Lunch- 40 mins
Session 2: 2 hours
Tea- 20 mins
Session 3: 2.5 hours (make this permanent not just if the overs are needed)
Also keeping the 10 minute change over, 4 minutes drinks breaks and all that other stuff that we all know.
Then, at the end of each day, the difference between the number of overs completed and 112. This difference is added to a running required overs on Day 5 tally. Day 5 then comes around with x number of overs required. The first 2 sessions run as they did on the first 4 days, and then the last session literally just runs until the overs are completed or bad light/rain intervenes. Obviously also looking to have incentive to keep a reasonable rate before the last session on Day 5 so like i said in the OP dish out fines and what not to get the message across. Example Test match:
Day 1- 88
Day 2- 87
Day 3- 90
Day 4- 83
Day 5- (92 required)- 28 overs, 29 overs = 35 over final session that continues until completed.
Seems to sound alright in theory and am happy to tweak and hear others thoughts on this
* Assume this is a drawn match which goes the distance as if a team wins or both sides agree to cop a draw early, then obviously the game will end earlier.

Crashy

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2018
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
Will never happen but bowling multiple overs from the same end would significantly reduce over rates.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
There is a lot of time wasting from the fielding side mainly but also batting team as well.

DRS can be factored in but I don’t think that’s the main issue as we have had problems for a very long time.

I think each session we need to keep on top of things, rather than go slows for 2 sessions in the hope the last session can make it all up.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Run penalties should be a last resort, IMO.

Starting point, 30 overs per session and not 90 a day. That means overtime each session if behind. So often the team who is behind in the rate is the fielding side for most of the day, but are batting by the end of the day. It may mean changing the lunch and tea breaks to both be 30 minutes, so overtime in the scheduled tea break doesn't eat into the break too much.

Umpires have the authority to not allow a drink, change of gloves, etc, to happen too often. They can order the sub fieldsman off the field. I suspect they are reluctant to do so because of claims of inconsistency if one player is allowed to do something and another is not.

The TWC has points penalties in place for over rate violations, as yet I don't think they have been used. Use them.
And do not have any allowance for DRS, or at least normal use of it. The assumption from both teams should be DRS will be used a couple of times a session and so over rates should be ahead in case of it being used. Similar with wickets, expect some to fall.

These won't change the scoring system and how a game is won, but might force players sped things up a bit. The only downside may be the batting side forcing delays on hot days to keep the fielders out there longer.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
There is a lot of time wasting from the fielding side mainly but also batting team as well.

DRS can be factored in but I don’t think that’s the main issue as we have had problems for a very long time.

I think each session we need to keep on top of things, rather than go slows for 2 sessions in the hope the last session can make it all up.

Yep, need to change batting gloves every couple of overs, get extra drink breaks between drinks......

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
the authorities need to grow a set and ensure the overs get bowled. the umpires also let things just drift along.

who knows, but do the umpires or why can't they inform the sides ohhh painey you are 1 over behind where you should be, or put it on the scoreboard somewhere. that way they could try and stay on top of it. i think over rate per hour is on some scoreboards around the world.

start the day an hour earlier (to ensure enough light at the end of the day) and lets get through the overs. or not even - just get thru the overs!

maybe we need to get 30 overs in before the lunch interval and then 30 before tea...rather than leave 38 or so for the last session. that way at lunch if they go in 10 minutes later, the captain knows he is already behind and 'should' be able to catch up time. the anomalies with this are rain delays, change of innings etc.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
May be a long time coming, but hopefully the Test Championship really gets off the ground with the fans and administrators, as a championship format gives the perfect context for cracking down on over rates. If you can lose ladder position based on over rates and people care about the ladder you can bet the over rates will improve.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
May be a long time coming, but hopefully the Test Championship really gets off the ground with the fans and administrators, as a championship format gives the perfect context for cracking down on over rates. If you can lose ladder position based on over rates and people care about the ladder you can bet the over rates will improve.

ladder position doesn't matter unless you are 2nd and drop to 3rd.
who cares if you drop from 5th to 6th.

it is only a 'grand final' as such.

i don't think there is a relegation process. if anything they may extend it with the other test nations at some point.

end of the day the WTC still needs a lot of tweaking.

Grozzy

Debutant
Feb 6, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The BBL have been strict on over rates, so I'm sure there's a solution for tests.
There should be an incentive to keep up the rate through the day, instead of just staying back at the end

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We need to desperately fix this.
No we don't. The idea that over rate violations are occurring with regularity is a myth. Last year there were 48 Tests played, with 4 over rate violations for a grand total of 8 lost overs. That means that:
  • well over 90% of matches are being played with an acceptable over rate
  • on the odd occasion a breach does occur, it tends to be pretty minor (i.e. 1-3 overs short)
The idea that penalties for breaching over rates are too lenient is also a myth. In the Test Championship, teams lose 2 points per over they fail to bowl. That's potentially crippling when a win in a 5-Test series is only worth 24 points.

No matter what your opinion is on how to correct this issue, I think we can all agree that it is hurting our longest format of the game, and is leading to some casual viewers losing interest.
You are missing the forest for the trees. Decreasing review time or increasing penalties is not going to speed up the game when teams are already (generally) complying with the rules. Teams will always aim to finish their overs at close to the maximum allowable time, because there is nothing to be gained by finishing early.

If you want cricket to be played faster, the solution is pretty simple - increase the number of overs required each day, or decrease the time on field.

Massively overstated issue.

I dont care if they bowl 86 overs in a day of cricket instead of 90, even if they take an extra half hour to do so.

So are you happy to pay $100 for a ticket and not get what you paid for? You pay for 90 overs not 86!

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
So are you happy to pay $100 for a ticket and not get what you paid for? You pay for 90 overs not 86!

Im not not an uptight bean counter so if i saw 86 good overs then thats fine by me.

I'm far more interested in how they can make the away teams more competitive in test series but I won't hijack the thread.

i don't think the average punter cares too much about that. most are drunk by then.

an odi doesn't always last the full 100 overs nor does a T20I last the full 40.

I do, or are they giving me a percentage of my ticket back (nope..). Over players and teams not getting through their overs. It's not hard to bowl them.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I do, or are they giving me a percentage of my ticket back (nope..). Over players and teams not getting through their overs. It's not hard to bowl them.

yeah disagree there.

if you go to an odi and the team batting first gets skittled in 40 overs and the opposition run it down say in 35 - you aint getting a refund.

same as if you go to day 4 of a test match and it finishes lets say 70 overs into the day.

i'm more about - the day should be 90 overs - 30 a session - so get it done for the games sake.

* although you'd want ya many back if ya went to ladies maldives v nepal game the other day
malkdives 16 (11 overs) - some chick 6/0
nepal 0/15 (0.5)
:)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
We now have the mandatory concussion checks after any blows to the helmet, but it's still the bowling sides fault only if the over rates are slow?

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Only issue with the first one is it takes time for ball tracking to be available

And when a batsmen gets hit in the helmet, run a new helmet out, see if he knows what 2+2 equals, then take the other helmet off the ground and inspect it while the game continues. As it is now, when a player is struck, out runs the physio with the mandatory bottle of water, then he stands there for about 5 minutes checking to see if the helmet is damaged, and then they call for a new helmet ... every time!!!!

Abolish the drinks break. These days with all the chances players have to take a drink, there's no need to hold the play up for another 5 minutes or more to allow the players to gather around like a family BBQ, laughing, joking, and doing interviews with the commentary team. If a player really needs a drink, then the 12th man can stand at the boundary line and the player runs over, takes a drink, and then back in his spot ready for the next ball. I doubt if we will see a player dying of dehydration on the field.

DRS ..... a pain. Limit the time to 5 seconds. The rule is there for the howler, not to allow a committee to form to discuss whether the umpire may have made a mistake or not. If it's a true howler, you know straight away to call for a review. And as others have said, limit the number to 1.

Would be nice for batsmen to be ready to face up when a bowler reaches the top of his mark. Why they need mid-wicket discussions after just about every ball mystifies me. If a batsman feels the need to back away when a bowler is in his delivery stride, bad luck. Too late to pull out. I thought batsmen were supposed to be watching the hand, not somebody moving in the top tier of the grandstand.

That's just a few issues I have with it. The bottom line is I'm just tired of all the feeble reasons for holding up the game. Just get on with it!!!

Abolish the drinks break. These days with all the chances players have to take a drink, there's no need to hold the play up for another 5 minutes or more to allow the players to gather around like a family BBQ, laughing, joking, and doing interviews with the commentary team. If a player really needs a drink, then the 12th man can stand at the boundary line and the player runs over, takes a drink, and then back in his spot ready for the next ball. I doubt if we will see a player dying of dehydration on the field.
Feel sorry for the keeper in this one tbh

Back