2020 trade targets

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ok, so we didn't get anyone across the line in 2019 and with Grundy off the market, who are we targeting to come to the crows in 2020?

A top line, fast, goal kicking mid would be nice.

How much $ did we free up for them?

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
There’ll be no one of any note. There never is. No need to worry about cap space.

If we trade for anyone it will be a middling role player where we see a hole that needs plugging.

We’ll continue to try and identify and develop future stars via the draft

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
There’ll be one of any note. There never is. No need to worry about cap space.

If we trade for anyone it will be a middling role player where we see a hole that needs plugging.

We’ll continue to try and identify and develop future stars via the draft
Where we're situated at present I think that's the correct strategy personally, only players we should even consider as "targets" should be 22 or younger IMO with where our list is now?

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Where we're situated at present I think that's the correct strategy personally, only players we should even consider as "targets" should be 22 or younger IMO with where our list is now?
That being the case, what age do we limit signing our better players to long term big contracts?

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Absolutely and there was no sarcasm in my post at all.

I think we have an excellent crop of kids right now, they need to be moulded and built from the ground up.

We are also well set for next years draft so need a big slurp from that one too.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Trade for needs, as always - I wouldn’t mind us identifying a young outside mid with speed for us to develop, especially considering the fact that IMO all of Rat (FA), Mackay (retire) and Gallucci (trade) could be gone next year

Any that are under the age of 23 and out of contract?

Going after Hately isn’t necessary a dire need, but would be a nice bonus. I can see Port going hard for him if they feel Wines will request a trade to the Blues

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
And I think the Razz will be knocking next year . Razz for Gooch swap?
When's he out of contract? Wouldn't be going after him if he's still contracted, Dodoro will ask for an arm and a leg. That's before even considering his IMO worrying injury history

On the young outside speedy types I mentioned above - unknown names I know, but wouldn't mind going after Ben Paton (St K) and Matthew Ling (Syd), even if we can really convince him Narkle from the Cats would be superb

I'd be trying to trade up to get two picks before the Edwards bid, too

It'll be the same as 2019, we may gun for 1-2 recycling projects, but there won't be any big trades.

NGA locked, need to add more high end youth to our side, as well as next year is going to be a rough one is going to prevent us from attracting anyone of note. 2021-2022 we may see it, providing we follow the Brisbane model, and attract good people in GM/SA.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Trade for needs, as always - I wouldn’t mind us identifying a young outside mid with speed for us to develop, especially considering the fact that IMO all of Rat (FA), Mackay (retire) and Gallucci (trade) could be gone next year

Any that are under the age of 23 and out of contract?

Going after Hately isn’t necessary a dire need, but would be a nice bonus. I can see Port going hard for him if they feel Wines will request a trade to the Blues
Hately's versatility is a need. 190cm strong mid than can be a marking option at HF and kick goals.
Similar size to Yeo and a bigger and better version of Caddy.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Hately is the main achievable target we should be persuing.
Not to mention GWS are absolutely stacked with midfield talent, inside and out, and still have the likes of Caldwell and Green waiting in the wings also. He'd be one of the easier ones to pry away for more opportunity straight off the bat.Just hand GWS back their first for him, I'd be pretty content with that.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not to mention GWS are absolutely stacked with midfield talent, inside and out, and still have the likes of Caldwell and Green waiting in the wings also. He'd be one of the easier ones to pry away for more opportunity straight off the bat.Just hand GWS back their first for him, I'd be pretty content with that.
Or our second. Is he out of contract?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Don't be forgetting Xavier O'Halloran either, he has speed and agility Green and Hately can only dream about.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Or our second. Is he out of contract?
Believe so, don't recall him signing a contract extension. I'm saying GWS first assuming its going to be very close to 16-18 again (or 17-19 given GC have been given 11), and that's before a handful of academy bids.

Tex Milera

Debutant
Mar 5, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Slightly digressing I know, but have a gut feel that if Doedee has a good comeback year, Geelong are going to come hard for him. Will want him as their Taylor replacement.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Slightly digressing I know, but have a gut feel that if Doedee has a good comeback year, Geelong are going to come hard for him. Will want him as their Taylor replacement.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
A 188cm 3rd tall to replace a 195cm KPD when they have just drafted KPD Sam De Koning and have taller options in Mark Blicavs, Jack Henry, Tom Stewart. Jake Kolodjashnij, Mark O'Connor and Lachie Henderson all taller than Doedee? I'm not seeing the Cats being that keen personally.

A 188cm 3rd tall to replace a 195cm KPD when they have just drafted KPD Sam De Koning and have taller options in Mark Blicavs, Jack Henry, Tom Stewart. Jake Kolodjashnij, Mark O'Connor and Lachie Henderson all taller than Doedee? I'm not seeing the Cats being that keen personally.

They have gone pretty hard for ex Geelong Falcons players in recent years.

Amazing (and rather funny) that they haven't won a flag considering all the players they've bought/brought in. I think it's becoming more and more clear now that premiership success is built on the back of a successful draft intake (and subsequent player development) over a 2-3 year period. Brisbane with McCluggage, Berry, Andrews, Hipwood, Rayner, etc look to be next in line.

Back