• C - okay

• D - could have been better

• E - could have been a lot better

• F - terrible!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS

JOSH WORRELL
(no.28 to Adelaide): “I really liked Josh because he didn’t consume footy all the time. When he played footy he had white-line fever, but when he finished footy he had another life.

“He’s a 195cm defender, but I think he’ll play on the outside as a winger at the elite level first. I told a lot of AFL clubs that I could see him within three to four years playing as a big-bodied inside midfielder, because he covers the ground really well, he has aggression and he hates to be beaten.”
These parts worry me.... indications of a flight risk?

These parts worry me.... indications of a flight risk?
Or just a normal person. You can have an actual life and still take pride in your job. It doesn't need to be all consuming, especially if you want balanced mental health.

Or just a normal person. You can have an actual life and still take pride in your job. It doesn't need to be all consuming, especially if you want balanced mental health.
Absolutely you can, but is being a professional athlete just a job? I don't think you're looking to be the best if you're treating it just as a job. Got it live and breathe it if you wanna get the most out of yourself. The only real exception I can think of is Dusty.

Do I think he can still have a good career? yes.

Haileybury boy, who has interests outside of football and doesn't just live and breathe footy.... feels like a Jack Gunston on our hands.

“He’s a 195cm defender, but I think he’ll play on the outside as a winger at the elite level first. I told a lot of AFL clubs that I could see him within three to four years playing as a big-bodied inside midfielder, because he covers the ground really well, he has aggression and he hates to be beaten.”

I've always liked the idea of taller wingers. The ability to take a grab especially now with more congestion is an advantage. Maybe it's just because it's a Friday morning but I'm having trouble thinking of taller wingers in the AFL at the moment.

Don't know how much to trust Twomey's intel here but he seems to think we were trying to trade what ended up being 24 & 25 for Geelong's pick 16 and what ended up being pick 50. Who were we keen on at 16? Seemingly only Kemp, Deven Robertson, and possibly Cooper Stephens were attractive for that price (as we traded down further to get Worrell). Also half the teams tried to move up to get Robertson when he was available at 22. So seems like if one or 2 of those were gettable then we would not have taken Schoenberg. Would also not have got Worrell.

Could have maybe been something like McAsey, Kemp/Robertson/Stephens, O'Connor, Cam Taheny (another marking forward type instead of Worrell), Gollant if we have swapped with Geelong.

Pretty pleased with how it worked out overall, as although we overpaid for McAsey, Worrell was great value and could turn out to be anything. In future to have McAsey who can go both back or forward and take marks (similar to J. McGovern?) and to have Worrell (similar to Bont?) who can play back, forward, wing or inside mid would give the Crows amazing versatility.

In an ideal world would have loved to have got the Carlton future 2nd rounder in, still got McAsey in and traded the O'Connor pick up using a future 2nd or 3rd (and taken Rivers or Rantall) taking O'Connor with the last to leave with McAsey, Schoenberg, Worrell, Rivers/Rantall and O'Connor, but we'll see what Gollant looks like after 12 months in the gym and a bit more growth.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/267097/...t-round-twists-turns-bluffs-and-the-big-calls

I mean that's the hand you're given. We would have taken Cam Rayner over Darcy Fogarty if we had a chance too.

I don't think it's likely that we do get McAsey with Carltons 2nd, sounds like Geelong were prepped to trade upwards.

Don't know how much to trust Twomey's intel here but he seems to think we were trying to trade what ended up being 24 & 25 for Geelong's pick 16 and what ended up being pick 50. Who were we keen on at 16? Seemingly only Kemp, Deven Robertson, and possibly Cooper Stephens were attractive for that price (as we traded down further to get Worrell). Also half the teams tried to move up to get Robertson when he was available at 22. So seems like if one or 2 of those were gettable then we would not have taken Schoenberg. Would also not have got Worrell.

Could have maybe been something like McAsey, Kemp/Robertson/Stephens, O'Connor, Cam Taheny (another marking forward type instead of Worrell), Gollant if we have swapped with Geelong.

Pretty pleased with how it worked out overall, as although we overpaid for McAsey, Worrell was great value and could turn out to be anything. In future to have McAsey who can go both back or forward and take marks (similar to J. McGovern?) and to have Worrell (similar to Bont?) who can play back, forward, wing or inside mid would give the Crows amazing versatility.

In an ideal world would have loved to have got the Carlton future 2nd rounder in, still got McAsey in and traded the O'Connor pick up using a future 2nd or 3rd (and taken Rivers or Rantall) taking O'Connor with the last to leave with McAsey, Schoenberg, Worrell, Rivers/Rantall and O'Connor, but we'll see what Gollant looks like after 12 months in the gym and a bit more growth.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/267097/...t-round-twists-turns-bluffs-and-the-big-calls
Twomey would be getting thart directly from the club list managers/head recruiters who have nothing to hide now, you could nearly take it to the bank.

Absolutely you can, but is being a professional athlete just a job? I don't think you're looking to be the best if you're treating it just as a job. Got it live and breathe it if you wanna get the most out of yourself. The only real exception I can think of is Dusty.

Haileybury boy, who has interests outside of football and doesn't just live and breathe footy.... feels like a Jack Gunston on our hands.
Jake Kelly talked about it this year. It's nothing to do with "not getting the best out of yourself" it's about having other things in your life that are important to you that don't involve football so you can be in a good mental headspace. Some may love to live it 24/7, others will find that emotionally and mentally draining and need something else in their lives. That doesn't stop you from doing the work when you need to do it, or giving it your all.

I'm starting to think a bit of go-home factor is actually not a bad thing for the Crows.

Providing we are good at identifying the right players with ability and developing them (and trading), this is the reason why we have had a larger proportion of top end picks in recent seasons - given the club seems to be always against finishing low on the table.

Drafting the best talent we can means if they end up being good players they stay with us and we are stronger, or we may get increased return if they want to leave.

We used pick 14 to get Lever and we got two r1 picks for him (ok, we wasted those picks on getting Gibbs but that's a different matter). With Gov we used pick 43 to get him and eventually got pick 13 back. Cameron was a rookie and we got pick 12. These are all picks on top of what we get on top of what we usually get based on our table finish. Having these extra picks let's us either use them or trade up further.

The downside is it does take time but it eventually pays off as our last few seasons show with more having picks at the r1 end than the r5 end.

What might be worse is if we put an emphasis on drafting local SA players who end up being serviceable but not very talented that other clubs arent too interested in - we end up with a dead end player.

Jake Kelly talked about it this year. It's nothing to do with "not getting the best out of yourself" it's about having other things in your life that are important to you that don't involve football so you can be in a good mental headspace. Some may love to live it 24/7, others will find that emotionally and mentally draining and need something else in their lives. That doesn't stop you from doing the work when you need to do it, or giving it your all.
Everyone definitely has their own way of looking after their Mental Health.

Worrell is clearly a very good footballer with a lot of potential. Without trying to stereotype (which I am well aware I probably am), having grown up in the Bayside Melbourne area and had a bit to do with lads from the APS (especially Haileybury), it think its a 50-50 call between being someone who needs to detach from footy to shut off, or an entitled kid with a lot of potential who might (whilst saying all the right things) not have the passion or drive to do the hard yards, especially when interstate and away from the bayside bubble.

I hope my assumptions are wrong, but it definitely causes me to raise my eyebrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm starting to think a bit of go-home factor is actually not a bad thing for the Crows.

Providing we are good at identifying the right players with ability and developing them (and trading), this is the reason why we have had a larger proportion of top end picks in recent seasons - given the club seems to be always against finishing low on the table.

Drafting the best talent we can means if they end up being good players they stay with us and we are stronger, or we may get increased return if they want to leave.

We used pick 14 to get Lever and we got two r1 picks for him (ok, we wasted those picks on getting Gibbs but that's a different matter). With Gov we used pick 43 to get him and eventually got pick 13 back. Cameron was a rookie and we got pick 12. These are all picks on top of what we get on top of what we usually get based on our table finish. Having these extra picks let's us either use them or trade up further.

The downside is it does take time but it eventually pays off as our last few seasons show with more having picks at the r1 end than the r5 end.

What might be worse is if we put an emphasis on drafting local SA players who end up being serviceable but not very talented that other clubs arent too interested in - we end up with a dead end player.
Exactly.

And let's not forget we might not have rated a lot of the SA draftees as high as they eventually went this draft but those that went undrafted we also showed no interest in them in the rookie draft either and we weren't alone with the only SA players to go in the rookie draft were mature aged Brad Close and Port F/S Trent Burgoyne. Other than that Port downgraded listed players Boyd Woodcock and Riley Grundy to their rookie list.

Last edited:
Further to the previous post we may have rated Will Day and Kysiaih Pickett highly but obviously not as high as Fischer McAsey.

We had the picks if we really wanted all the other SA players though we had to choose between Schoenberg and Gould I guess, obviously a mid over a 3rd tall defender being the reason there I'd think. Taheny, Farrar, Hutchesson and Morris we had the picks if we wanted them.

I think “McAsey isn’t a pick 6” is a bit of a furphy

What if we were Melbourne - would we go for another midfielder? No, we need a tall, and he was 2nd in the draft.

He’s a pick 6 if he gets selected as 6.

His ability may not be #6 in the draft, but whatevs

Keep telling yourself that.

Most had him 11-14
But as I said, once Stephens was taken, imo McAsay wasn't much of a reach.
Big H has visible signs of sexual arousal when McAsey is mentioned apparently. Heard from Aaron Francis in a seaside cafe.

I think “McAsey isn’t a pick 6” is a bit of a furphy

What if we were Melbourne - would we go for another midfielder? No, we need a tall, and he was 2nd in the draft.

He’s a pick 6 if he gets selected as 6.

His ability may not be #6 in the draft, but whatevs
Without future use of a retrospectoscope, nobody has any idea. He's worth 6 because that's what we paid.

If he's a good McGovern or Rance, we've made out like bandits. Heck, even Talia at pick 6 in his draft year wouldn't have been the worst call.

He may be completely junk and Young is a gun, and we've burned a great pick, but I'm happy to wait and see.

Okay, the first big "what really happened" article

interesting parts:

"The Giants had done so much work to get ahead of the bid for Green. They had packaged up picks 12 and 18 during the Telstra AFL Trade Period to gain pick six, and then sent pick six and a future first-round pick to Adelaide to move up to pick four."

12 + 18 + Future 1stR = Pick 4, Tom Green. Wow, worth three 1Rs... when you've got that many, i guess you can give some away

Good article and good analysis. On this point, though, it's not really correct to say they gave three first round picks for Tom Green. They got two players for that expenditure. If they hadn't given up the future first round pick, they have only gotten Green. So really, what happened was that they mortgaged next year's first round pick to get a "free" selection at pick 4 (which is obviously a good result for them). So Green was worth two first rounders.

The comments about him not going pick 6 aren't surprising, really. There was an understanding that this was a midfielder draft and that the first round would be mostly midfielders, which it was.

He was the best KPP in the draft. Clearly he was going to go to whichever club was the first to prioritise that above a quality mid.

The comments about him not going pick 6 aren't surprising, really. There was an understanding that this was a midfielder draft and that the first round would be mostly midfielders, which it was.

He was the best KPP in the draft. Clearly he was going to go to whichever club was the first to prioritise that above a quality mid.
Is makeasy worth pick 6 ? Yes are kpp harder to find than midfielders ? Yes definitely. What we and others forget we in the end got mceasy and gws first rounder next year. So is mceasy and future first rounder worth taking him at pick 6 or a stretch? No way absolutely worth it, made out like bandits. Maybe top 10 pick to get mid plus mceasy. Based on this draft mceasy and Flanders for pick 6, take that and run!

Back