News Tom Jonas sole captain for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonas in.
Wines gone.

Decision was made before the end of the season.

Grumble all you like but this is corrective action being made by the club for the betterment of the club.

As a corrective action this isn’t even duct tape on a cracked water pipe, its masking tape

Given that the plan for 2019 was to split the entire pipe in two and just hope the water magically held on to the two halves via reverse gravity, I'd say masking tape is a significant improvement.

They could however come out and announce a "succession plan". For example announce Schofield is to take over as senior coach at the end of Hinkleys current contract. That would see a lot of members stay on who where otherwise going and may see a few thousand re join.
Succession plan to Schoey? Poor little Kenny Wenny can't even be told to do a course or take advice from a coach who has taken 3 players to No 1 in the WORLD and is son of Port Adelaide royalty. Clown deliberately snubs Schoey in the box like a 12 year old school girl. Would be fun to watch though.

Given that the plan for 2019 was to split the entire pipe in two and just hope the water magically held on to the two halves via reverse gravity, I'd say masking tape is a significant improvement.
Its not an improvement, its a *up they’re trying to conceal instead of actually fix

im guessing the club has said to Ollie that he needs to decide where he wants to be, if its here then he will be considered again in a few years

Ha 2%! Has a decision ever been more widely despised? ....
So only 2% of those polled agree with Keith Thomas that having one captain wearing the #1 guernsey is an out of date fashion.

Clearly SEN listeners lack fashion sense. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's still a compromise.

How is it a compromise?

We've moved to correct the poor decision to anoint co-captains.
Isn't that what we wanted?

If we'd gone with Jonas as sole captain at the beginning of this season, we'd still have Jonas as captain now and very few would have an issue with that.

It's still action in the right direction.
action in the right direction would be undoing the entirety of the co-captaincy *up, which would mean reverting the break with tradition, removing the cooked units that thought it was a good idea, and replacing the clearly inadequate/inappropriate people selected.

until then the sum vector is still pointing in the same direction.

If we'd gone with Jonas as sole captain at the beginning of this season, we'd still have Jonas as captain now and very few would have an issue with that.
If he’d been the same contemptuous plonker oozing disdain for supporters he’s been this year, with the same form line and team results, nah. * him.

So only 2% of those polled agree with Keith Thomas that having one captain wearing the #1 guernsey is an out of date fashion.

Clearly SEN listeners lack fashion sense. :rolleyes:

When I voted there were 50 voters. Which means that 2% would be 1 voter. It could literally have been Keith Thomas, or someone who didn't understand the question.

I still think it should’ve been wines as sole captain last year but at least they’ve acknowledged that co captaincy was a s**t decision.

I take this as Wines is a huge chance to leave now. Jonas is the safe option.

Probably a few people on here being a bit harsh on Jonas, I don’t really get why he has become so disliked.

He’s been a good honest contributor on field for a number of seasons and has definitely got the best out of himself so I think he is a good leader by example. Which is more than what can be said about other options that have been thrown around here.

Guys like maxwell and Harley made good captains too without being exceptionally talented just good hard honest defenders. Give the guy a chance to lead on his own. I also agree that both tj and wines were set up to fail with the co captaincy decision

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Called it way back when after the horrible loss to North Melbourne, Tom Jonas came to the post-match while Ollie Wines was on the phone to Carton.

Tom spoke after Benny D - who upset the crowd a bit by mentioning we could still make finals. Tom spoke pretty well basically saying what happened wasn’t acceptable and acknowledged how much it hurts the supporters, by the end the cheersquad was chanting that Tom should be in the number 1.

It was pretty obvious that Tom while humbled agreed with it, and with a wink and a nod it was obvious he didn’t rate the club’s decision. Nor Ollie’s performance as captain.

I understand why people dislike Tom “king of smarm” Jonas as the captain, and I can definitely accept there might be better choices - I don’t particularly like him either. To me Tom’s in the best spot to lead the players and get their vote as captain. I’m honestly of the opinion that the club would have stuck with co-captains if Tom wasn’t the pick.

Giving it to him for a year or two before handing it over to Dan Houston is my dream scenario at this stage.

I would have loved to have been surprised and I literally would have been happier with any single other player, but I guess I accepted this months ago.

I hope he proves the haters wrong.

I don't understand where this love of Dan Houston as captain comes from. I think he's a great player but what evidence is there that he's captain material?

I was so pumped when I saw this the other night. Got trolled hard =(
d7d9dd4e48624a5429c4a41c217b4dec.jpg

The club definitely ***ked up with the dual captaincy decision. Their decision now to revert back to the way it should have been is an admission they got it wrong. Evidently they're not as pig headed as we thought, do occasionally listen to the members and re-assess their decisions.

Tommy closely followed by Hammer were the only real choices. Someone like Houston or Lycett may also have been good choices but Lycett hasn't been here long enough and wasn't first choice ruck all year and Houston is still developing his midfield craft, which from his and the clubs point of view is what he should be concentrating on.

Surely we've got to acknowledge the club has had enough brains to learn from their mistake. It's right to make the club accountable, surely it's also right to acknowledge a good decision finally.

God Hartlett is unlucky.

The co captaincies model will go down as one of our more stupid decisions. It always to me felt like a try out to see who would be the better one, unfortunately wines didn’t get on the park. Still think Ollie will Captain this club again (unless he leaves)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back