Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
God Hartlett is unlucky.

The co captaincies model will go down as one of our more stupid decisions. It always to me felt like a try out to see who would be the better one, unfortunately wines didn’t get on the park. Still think Ollie will Captain this club again (unless he leaves)
Tarps, Co=Captains... yep...

action in the right direction would be undoing the entirety of the co-captaincy fu**up, which would mean reverting the break with tradition, removing the cooked units that thought it was a good idea, and replacing the clearly inadequate/inappropriate people selected.

We're not in a position to burn the house down because someone bought the wrong insurance policy in 2017.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How is it a compromise?

We've moved to correct the poor decision to anoint co-captains.
Isn't that what we wanted?

If we'd gone with Jonas as sole captain at the beginning of this season, we'd still have Jonas as captain now and very few would have an issue with that.

This is an interesting alternative timeline to think about, where Jonas doesn’t spend the last year being a defensive dick about his co-appointment. I know it’s been said a thousand times already but they really did put themselves in an awful situation and someone needed to step in and stop it for happening. This applies to everyone involved.

As far as the players are concerned one of them should’ve simply stepped aside and this inaction is the issue I have with both Jonas and Wines. Both ignored tradition at the expense of self-aggrandisement and neither had the basic foresight to see how this would all inevitably end in tears anyway. Selfishness plus poor judgement equals not fit for the role imo.

But I do agree that this is a step in the right direction, albeit a solitary one.

Surely we've got to acknowledge the club has had enough brains to learn from their mistake. It's right to make the club accountable, surely it's also right to acknowledge a good decision finally.
Even in a field as weak as we have, naming Tom Jonas captain is a truly shitful decision

Even confined to on field leadership, ignore the ‘near enough good enough’ culture Jonas will foster and his disdain for anyone not receiving a PAFC paycheque, why would you name a full time backline stopper as captain? What can he inspire in that role even if he hits peak form? What acts are going to push his teammates on?

Anyone in the role Jonad plays would have to ooze charisma to be a leading presence for teammates, and you could usually outline endless times that player showed the kind of character to be emulated - outrageous acts of skill and courage and tenacity, that kind of thing. Got any of that?

s**t decision made from the leftovers of the last s**t decision. Its a sourdough s**t.

We're not in a position to burn the house down because someone bought the wrong insurance policy in 2017.
theres a lot more wrong with this club than just Ken Hinkley, and some of them don’t even get paid

"The move is expected to be warmly received by the club's traditional supporters, who were against the decision to share the captaincy."

Not by me it isn't. It will be tolerated, but it sure as s**t isn't warmly received. The reasons given for Jonas needing Wines as a co-captain are still relevant today as they were back then - did he improve his captaincy style in any way during the year? Does he even acknowledge that he needed to work on it?

If Jonas wants to be warmly received, leading the club to a flag this year is the only thing that will be accepted.

Miss finals, and I'll be expecting him to be turfed at the end of the year for someone better.

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was so pumped when I saw this the other night. Got trolled hard =(
d7d9dd4e48624a5429c4a41c217b4dec.jpg
This picture triggered me hard. Not by Hartlett being captain, but by seeing Darryl Borlase being not only listed as a former captain but also being listed as a premiership captain

Yet we have no rights to his super talented son due to some ****ed up "technicality" meaning he goes to our arch enemy who really have no ******* right to have him at all

* that s**t

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Regarding Jonas... well i was fully expecting the club to stick with co-captains rather than admit they ****ed up so its a definite win in my eyes even if Jonas wouldnt be my first choice.

I actually liked Jonas before last season so im willing to give him a go at being the main man

Also agree i cant see this as being a long term thing and he will be warming the No.1 for someone else for a couple of seasons at the most

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jonas in.
Wines gone.

Decision was made before the end of the season.

Grumble all you like but this is corrective action being made by the club for the betterment of the club.
When you say Wines gone fo you mean mean from the captaincy or the team?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
"The move is expected to be warmly received by the club's traditional supporters, who were against the decision to share the captaincy."

Not by me it isn't. It will be tolerated, but it sure as s**t isn't warmly received. The reasons given for Jonas needing Wines as a co-captain are still relevant today as they were back then - did he improve his captaincy style in any way during the year? Does he even acknowledge that he needed to work on it?

If Jonas wants to be warmly received, leading the club to a flag this year is the only thing that will be accepted.

Miss finals, and I'll be expecting him to be turfed at the end of the year for someone better.

The reasons given were bullsh1t. This was a political issue and no one (players, coaches or administrators) was good enough to navigate around it because they were too busy choosing what font to use on their CV.

Jonas (and Wines) showed he wasn’t good enough straight out of the gate.

Last edited:

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
I would love us to have one of those member nights again. The questions from the crowd would be very interesting.

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
This picture triggered me hard. Not by Hartlett being captain, but by seeing Darryl Borlase being not only listed as a former captain but also being listed as a premiership captain

Yet we have no rights to his super talented son due to some f’ed up "technicality" meaning he goes to our arch enemy who really have no ******* right to have him at all

fu** that s**t

he'll be asking for a trade soon enough.

For a club that's putting so much stock on celebrating our 150 years, it's beyond puzzling that they tore-up such a core tradition last year.

I'm not giving the club too much credit for reversing a decision that shouldn't have been made in the first place.

I cant believe so many actually wanted Hartlett as captain. The man epitomises the under achievement of the last decade perfectly. Why the * should he be captain?

I cant believe so many actually wanted Hartlett as captain. The man epitomises the under achievement of the last decade perfectly. Why the fu** should he be captain?

Because he's not Tom Jonas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back