• D - could have been better

• E - could have been a lot better

• F - terrible!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
To be fair, we got that for pick 4, not pick 6. By the time of the draft, the 2020 first rounder tied to GWS had no bearing on our selection at pick 6. We already had it in the bag.

Is McAsey worth pick six? I don't know. But he is reportedly the best KPP in the draft, so if we wanted a KPP, he was the one to pick.

The only real question is, could we have traded backwards and still got him? No point giving up pick 6 for McAsey if we could have gotten him later. That article seems to indicate that he wasn't going to last past pick 8. Perhaps we could have traded pick 6 for pick 8 and some spare change, but I can't see why Freo would do that given that they also owned pick 7 and weren't interested in McAsey, so their selections would have been identical.

Chase13

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
G
To be fair, we got that for pick 4, not pick 6. By the time of the draft, the 2020 first rounder tied to GWS had no bearing on our selection at pick 6. We already had it in the bag.

Is McAsey worth pick six? I don't know. But he is reportedly the best KPP in the draft, so if we wanted a KPP, he was the one to pick.

The only real question is, could we have traded backwards and still got him? No point giving up pick 6 for McAsey if we could have gotten him later. That article seems to indicate that he wasn't going to last past pick 8. Perhaps we could have traded pick 6 for pick 8 and some spare change, but I can't see why Freo would do that given that they also owned pick 7 and weren't interested in McAsey, so their selections would have been identical.
eelong would have moved up board and taken him. That was the fear and hawthorn interested too so was 6 a stretch, hmm, not really

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Big H has visible signs of sexual arousal when McAsey is mentioned apparently. Heard from Aaron Francis in a seaside cafe.
Bored of you trolling Faith.

Wish BigFooty had a “ignore interactions” feature so I could ignore every time you quote Faith. It’s always you trolling. (No I won’t put you on ignore because then I’d miss all of your other high quality contributions.)

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS

It looks as though this board is coming around to an understanding that Hamish drafts for perceived needs - not purely for talent?

It makes sense this is something Hamish would straight up lie about. We don’t want our first message to the new draftee to be “actually mate you’re not as good as the 4 guys drafted after you, but we really needed a tall” so instead we outwardly maintain the pretense that we are drafting purely on talent. We aren’t.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Is McAsey a good pick?

I am going to judge this trade period based on how Ash and Stephens go compared to McAsey.

If Ash is the next Lachie Whitfield, and/or Stephens is the next Josh Kelly, and McAsey is anything less than the next Jeremy McGovern, then this trade and draft period was a colossal failure.

We have not had an elite skilful midfielder since McLeod and Goodwin - and we just traded out the pick that could have got one and in return we got next years pick 20.

On the other hand of those three guys are all much the same then it’s a great success.

From what the club has said the trade is based on Hamish’s judgement that these guys are all roughly equal so hopefully he is correct about that.

Chase13

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
It looks as though this board is coming around to an understanding that Hamish drafts for perceived needs - not purely for talent?

It makes sense this is something Hamish would straight up lie about. We don’t want our first message to the new draftee to be “actually mate you’re not as good as the 4 guys drafted after you, but we really needed a tall” so instead we outwardly maintain the pretense that we are drafting purely on talent. We aren’t.
Needs and talent go hand in hand. Mcaseay is most talented kpp, which are hard to find and yes maybe not most talented of draft pull, but adding a future first rounder makes it a no brainer really. Just good business especially if we are in a rebuild. If we were contending next year maybe not right call, but in position we are was the smart move. Looking at big picture not the immediate, and we still got the mvp from the champs. Can we really be upset with the outcome and getting Worrell an added bonus.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I thought Melbourne’s draft was great mainly because of Pickett

They often dominated the contested possession but then the ball pinged straight back out of their forward line.

With Pickett flying around closing down the defender in possession - and then Lever taking intercept marks on the wing - they will be a different team this year. Injury permitting.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

They often dominated the contested possession but then the ball pinged straight back out of their forward line.

With Pickett flying around closing down the defender in possession - and then Lever taking intercept marks on the wing - they will be a different team this year. Injury permitting.
So you're saying the Dees drafted for needs not necessarily the best talent but that's smart drafting whereas you're claiming the opposite for Hamish for doing basically the same? If Kossie doesn't turn out to be the next Cyril Rioli who will you be comparing him to picks wise for the Dees?

Chase13

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I

would have liked picket too but to be honest pick 10 a reach, better hope he is that good, mid second round for me, he better be next betts to be worth that pick, high risk high reward. I’m sure if Jackson was available to us though we would have taken him, gonna be an awesome forward as he is as good below his feet as he is as good above his head, a guaranteed gun for the future

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
So you're saying the Dees drafted for needs not necessarily the best talent but that's smart drafting whereas you're claiming the opposite for Hamish for doing basically the same? If Kossie doesn't turn out to be the next Cyril Rioli who will you be comparing him to picks wise for the Dees?
It wasn’t a criticism. It’s obvious we draft for perceived needs, like most clubs, nothing wrong with it.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I

would have liked picket too but to be honest pick 10 a reach, better hope he is that good, mid second round for me, he better be next betts to be worth that pick, high risk high reward. I’m sure if Jackson was available to us though we would have taken him, gonna be an awesome forward as he is as good below his feet as he is as good above his head, a guaranteed gun for the future
Pick 10 is fine if he’s good. A contending club is normally happy to pick up an instant contributor in that role for that price. Rioli * 2, Charles.

Total disaster if he’s rubbish of course. Like any top 10 pick bust. I’m no draft expert.

Strategically I think it makes sense.

Bored of you trolling Faith.

Wish BigFooty had a “ignore interactions” feature so I could ignore every time you quote Faith. It’s always you trolling. (No I won’t put you on ignore because then I’d miss all of your other high quality contributions.)
Yeah, I need to stop biting at the Stephens comments. Will try.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I think “McAsey isn’t a pick 6” is a bit of a furphy

What if we were Melbourne - would we go for another midfielder? No, we need a tall, and he was 2nd in the draft.

He’s a pick 6 if he gets selected as 6.

His ability may not be #6 in the draft, but whatevs
A key tall who was MVP for his state team at the Nationals - that's not a reach like Melbourne grabbing a ruckman or a 5 foot tall crumber.

Even then - pretty much every draft analyst said you could throw a blanket over picks 3 to 12 or so.

Back