List Mgmt. Scott Clayton - joins North as Head of Player Personnel

1999-2009 Western bulldogs
2010-2017 Gold Coast Suns
2018-2019 west coast eagles

Brisbane prior to 99.

That's how I have his resume.

Edit: pretty poor selections taking a quick look.

"The Eagles confirmed on Tuesday that Clayton had would take up a newly created football, marketing and administrative role at the club. He will be based in Melbourne."

His previous role suggests he's more a sounding board than anything. Quite happy for luff and Finnegan to make the calls and seek him out for advice/report their reasoning to him.

He reports to Brady?

So North had to make a position for him...Why?.l was under the impression that after Luff we had everyone that was needed.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
So North had to make a position for him...Why?.l was under the impression that after Luff we had everyone that was needed.

Clayton is probably also the "senior mentor" the club has been talking about.

He's certainly experienced.

I'm not suggesting that he walks on water, but it has to be a good appointment consider the dearth of young heads we have brought through the door.

Nate1993

Senior List
May 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
images (16).jpeg

Woo! Welcome Scott Clayton!

SOS is better.

I think SOS would be better in an active role but strikes me as a pretty dominant personality. Maybe not so good with a fresh/greener group of people.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Clayton is probably also the "senior mentor" the club has been talking about.

He's certainly experienced.

I'm not suggesting that he walks on water, but it has to be a good appointment consider the dearth surfeit of young heads we have brought through the door.
Opposite of dearth.

I don't know his past history and don't really care tbh. I'd like to hope over the years he has improved his knowledge and is better for his past experiences. It isn't a popularity contest, the club has hired people, they will have an opportunity to perform and I wish them the best and hope they help to make our club stronger.

I hope supporters can resist the urge to be too judgemental on staff the club hires, I'd be disappointed reading some of the stuff written on this board over the pre-season if I was one of the people employed. I think we can be too negative at times.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Let's just take a look at the players Gold Coast lost for one reason or another that Clayton recruited.

Lynch
Prestia
May
Caddy
Ablett
Dixon
Bennell
Hall
Lyons
Matera
O'Meara
Saad
Scrimshaw

He can bring them in but not his job to keep them there.

All of the above are still playing and I reckon if they kept those players they would have played finals by now.

To be fair I’d argue gws have lost more talent if you were to compose a comparable list. I think the downfall has beena struggle to build a culture on the GC and then allowing want away players to leave for cheap whereas the giants have continued to roll talent into high end draft picks. Also quality of qld junior footy doesn’t stack up so really cant be over reliant on their academy. So all in all,a lot of constraints to work within at the GCS, and it does look as though they may be on the right track now keeping a bunch of kids together and building something of a culture.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
1) My interpretation is based on the fact that the word "player" appears in the title.
2) The word "player", in this context, is "a person who partakes in a game or sport".
3) The "personnel" who oversee "players" in an AFL context, are also referred to as a "football department".

Therefore, you're wrong. I'm sure you'll eventually recover from this setback and get over it.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
So WTF is Head of Player Personnel?
Sounds like head of HR, but only over players. And if you work in a corporate environment you’ll know HR’s role isn’t to look after people, it’s to prevent the organisation getting sued by its staff as a result of their staff’s actions. (I’m not a fan of HR departments you might detect). Not sure what the role will involve but list management does appear to becoming more complicated with multiple drafts, mid season drafts, live pick trading, academies, points, free agency, not to mention trade, scouting, negotiation with other clubs, players, and agents, and player welfare and ensuring the list are happy and able to deal with any problems they may have in their personal lives. So yeah seems a lot of work involved in managing player personnel and makes sense to have another experienced head in there aside from just identifying talent

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1) My interpretation is based on the fact that the word "player" appears in the title.
2) The word "player", in this context, is "a person who partakes in a game or sport".
3) The "personnel" who oversee "players" in an AFL context, are also referred to as a "football department".

Therefore, you're wrong. I'm sure you'll eventually recover from this setback and get over it.

I didn’t read to the end of your post because you defining each word is not the same as understanding what the title is.

If he was head of the football department, he wouldn’t simply have Luff and Finnigan supposedly report to him.

You post too much. This was a dumb one. Move on.

I truly don't understand this appointment.

He's underwhelming. At.best.

On LG-H930 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can’t figure out the structure from the media to date but I don’t think we need to over think this one - it’s a simple ‘old head’ appointment.

The club has just appointed several people to roles they’ve NEVER done before but are great at what they do and brilliant culture fit people - great medium to long term re-set built around good people.✅

To support that strategy which I’m loving, it was made clear by the club that they would look to appoint an experienced head somewhere in the mix.

In the current NIGHTMARE that AFL footy is for staff regarding stress and scrutiny, supporting the new guys and ensure they find their feet with as much support as possible sounds good to me.

The structure is different to what I was expecting but who am I to know what’s needed!!

Ok - so nobody on here really knows. Wanky title - would love to know what it entails.

Aren't all job titles wanky these days!? I refuse to call a Sales Rep a Business Development Manager.

Back