Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Did SOD (son of Darren) get dropped for s**t form, or is he injured? The WACA's captain, someone called Ashton Turner, can't buy a run lately either so I wouldn't be surprised to see him being dumped, or picking up an injury.

Can't remember reading that he was injured so I think it would have to be on form. Jake Lehmann can't buy a run atm which is a pity because Lehmann looked a Test candidate a couple of years back.

Looked up the stats and I would say 16 runs in 5 innings is the reason why Jake Lehmann was not selected.

Last edited:
Below is a run down of our current squad and players who have played recently

Weatherald began playing in SA when he was 19 and is from Darwin (25 now)
Hunt is from ACT who was approached to play for SA this year (22 now)
Ferg is genuine SA developed but he is 35 years old
Travis head is genuine SA developed and is a big tick (25 years old). Often away on national duties
Jake Lehmann is SA developed who looked like he could play for Australia 2 years ago. Now he cant make a run and has been dropped (27 years old)
Tom Cooper left NSW in his early 20s because he couldnt get a game and is now 33 years old
Alex Ross was the Bradman young cricketer of the year a few years ago and now playing grade cricket (moved to SA when he was 17 and is now 27)
Alex Carey is SA developed and is a big tick (28 years old). Often away on national duties
Harry Nielsen is genuine SA developed and is a good young prospect. 24 years old
Chadd Sayers is genuine SA developed but 31 years old
Joe Mennie left NSW because he couldnt get a game in his early 20s. Is 30 years old
Daniel Worrall left VIC because he couldnt get a game in his early 20s. Is 28 years old
Adam Zampa left NSW for more opportunity and came to SA in his early 20s. is 27 years old
Kane Richardson is genuine SA developed and is a tick. Plays for Aus in ODI. 27 years old
Wes Agar left VIC seeking more opportunities in SA when he was 18. Is 22 now
Nick Winter moved to SA from ACT when he was 20 seeking opportunities to play at the higher level. is 26 now

By my count, thats 7 players who were developed in SA and 9 players who left their original state to seek more opportunities (read.. couldnt get a game in their original state)

Of the 16 listed players, 4 are over 30 and only 3 are under 25
Others we have tried like McInerney, Robins, Andrews, Valente, Dalton, Grant are no good at state level

The quality of young South Australian cricketers has been a huge problem for way too long. Too many premier cricket teams in SA and terrible development in our young players

Its no surprise to me how crap we are. Things have to change

Listening to Callum Ferguson tonight on 5AA and reading the cricinfo report below I was probably too harsh on the Redbacks. Needing 345 off 70 overs with none of the fielding and bowling restrictions of a one day or T20 game, that isn't an easy target. Sounds like they gave it a decent crack, then tried to draw the game but couldn't hang on.

A five-wicket haul from Matthew Kelly helped Western Australia to a thrilling victory over South Australia at the WACA with just seven balls left in the game.

Following a century from Shaun Marsh earlier in the day and then 123 from Callum Ferguson in the sensational chase of 345 - in 70 overs - a collapse left South Australia needing to survive 44 balls with two wickets in hand in fading light. Adam Zampa and Joe Mennie survived 31 deliveries before Mennie edged Joel Paris behind. Then, with just eight balls left, Zampa inexplicably hooked David Moody with two men catching in the deep behind square, and Paris held on to the catch.

South Australia had looked on track to win at 3 for 255, needing just 90 from 91 balls. Ferguson played magnificently as he had done against WA in their last Marsh Cup meeting and threatened to steal the show. His 123 featured 20 glorious boundaries and came from 150 balls after he had entered at 1 for 1 following Henry Hunt's fall to a stunning one-handed catch from Ashton Agar at point.

Ferguson shared a 130-run stand with Jake Weatherald, who made 63, and then a 91-run partnership with Tom Cooper to put South Australia in control.

But when he fell to Kelly, chipping a catch to midwicket, the game swung completely. South Australia lost four wickets for just 18 runs with Kelly taking three of them to take his fourth first-class five-wicket haul. The Redbacks abandoned the chase with Mennie and Zampa at the crease but despite Zampa's 37, they fell seven balls short of escaping with a draw.............................

I do not know what is worse the Redbacks losing or Shaun Marsh making a century. Travis Head will need to succeed the next chance he gets or Justin Langer will have an excuse to reinstate a Marsh brother. If they can drop Head for Mitchell Marsh they will certainly do it for Shaun Marsh who is averaging 65 for WA.

This story was after India beat South Africa in October 3-0 at home. Make it 12 now that they have beaten Bangladesh 2-0 at home.

The West Indies lost 72-73 home series v Oz 0-2 then drew 73-74 v England 1-1 both 5 test series, then won next 8 series at home, drew 1-1 in a 3 test series v Pakistan in 1987-88, then won 6 series at home up to 1993-94 v England 3-1, finally losing next year 1994-95 to Oz 1-2 in a 4 test series. So they went 16 series undefeated at home over 20 years, between 1973-74 and 1993-94. See Howstats list at

India have written themselves into the history books, with their 11th consecutive test cricket series win at home. In notching their biggest-ever win over South Africa - by an innings and 137 runs - on day four of the second test in Pune on Sunday night (NZ time), India eclipsed Australia's previous record streak of 10 home series victories.

Australia had managed 10 in a row twice - from 1994 to 2001, then again between 2004 and 2008 - while India's successful run dates back to their 4-0 sweep of Australia in 2012-13.

Since then, India have gone on to defeat the West Indies, South Africa, New Zealand, England, Bagladesh, Australia again, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, the West Indies again, and now the Proteas again, with an unassailable 2-0 lead in their three-match series.
It keeps India with a perfect four from four record in the world test championship, and is the 30th win under Kohli's captaincy, in 50 tests. Only two skippers have had more success in their first 50 tests as captain - Australians Steve Waugh (37) and Ricky Ponting (35).

"When we started, we were at number seven [in the world rankings]," Kohli said. "The only way was up. We laid down a few things and are all lucky to have this group of players. "In the last three to four years it's amazing to see the hunger in this group to keep improving."

I do not know what is worse the Redbacks losing or Shaun Marsh making a century. Travis Head will need to succeed the next chance he gets or Justin Langer will have an excuse to reinstate a Marsh brother. If they can drop Head for Mitchell Marsh they will certainly do it for Shaun Marsh who is averaging 65 for WA.

If Marsh gets again ahead of Carey CA and Langer can GAGF!

If Marsh gets again ahead of Carey CA and Langer can GAGF!

I heard Hohns talking about the hopefuls last night - he almost laughed at the suggestion of a Shaun Marsh recall. Steady as she goes was the theme, with possibly Stoinis coming in as an allrounder at some stage.

Some of my earliest memories following the Aussies was the 1978 Test series v England in Australia - Brearley, Gooch, Gower etc.....another one was Bob "runs like a chook" Willis - sad to hear that he has died, aged 70.

Was a good commentator in recent years too.

RIP

Some of my earliest memories following the Aussies was the 1978 Test series v England in Australia - Brearley, Gooch, Gower etc.....another one was Bob "runs like a chook" Willis - sad to hear that he has died, aged 70.

Was a good commentator in recent years too.

RIP
Another victim of the dreaded prostate cancer!!!! I still have the occasional flashback to Headingley 1981 - still not quite sure how we lost that match.

RIP Bob.

Yes that Headingley Test with the Botham/Willis combination over the last 2 days.

The other one was the Melbourne Test we lost by a few runs with Thommo and Border nearly dragging us over the line. His penultimate over, which kept Border off strike for the last over, was based on accurate fast bowling, and he got it spot on.

RIP Bob.

Yes that Headingley Test with the Botham/Willis combination over the last 2 days.

The other one was the Melbourne Test we lost by a few runs with Thommo and Border nearly dragging us over the line. His penultimate over, which kept Border off strike for the last over, was based on accurate fast bowling, and he got it spot on.

RIP Bob.
The thing I remember about that MCG classic was channel 9's incompetence at the key moment. They went to a commercial at the end of the over, and when the ad was finished, Thomson was out. Plenty of angry viewers flooded 9's switchboard!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RIP Bob Willis.

Was a lion hearted performer and I always liked his dry commentary style. He had some big performances in Ashes tests as well as solid performances performances on the flat decks in India

Knew he had cancer a few years ago but didn't realise he was sick again.

He was one of my favourite bowlers to impersonate when I was a kid. It was such a distinctive run up and delivery style.

I heard Hohns talking about the hopefuls last night - he almost laughed at the suggestion of a Shaun Marsh recall. Steady as she goes was the theme, with possibly Stoinis coming in as an allrounder at some stage.

I think the player who has 'will play at some stage' written all over him is Cameron Green also from WA. His figures are pretty good for a 20 year old. He cannot bowl atm but his 28 wickets at 21.53 in 11 matches suggest he has ability with ball and as he showed against the Redbacks he can also bat. Ricky Ponting has called for Green's inclusion in the squad to play New Zealand but the Selectors have resisted. I think if Green gets back to bowling and the selectors want an all rounder Green will get the nod before Stoinis who has never been seen as a Test player.

Take the Boxing Day test off em!

Dangerous MCG pitch forces Sheffield Shield match to be suspended

The Sheffield Shield match between Victoria and Western Australia at the MCG was suspended on the opening day due to concerns over a dangerous pitch less than three weeks before the Boxing Day Test.
The umpires took the players off in the 40th over with Western Australia 3 for 89 following discussions with the players and head groundsman Matt Page after the batsmen had taken a series of blows to the body.
The decision was taken between the umpires and match referee for the groundstaff to roll the surface with a further inspection due to take place at 4pm local time.

Take the Boxing Day test off em!

Dangerous MCG pitch forces Sheffield Shield match to be suspended

The Sheffield Shield match between Victoria and Western Australia at the MCG was suspended on the opening day due to concerns over a dangerous pitch less than three weeks before the Boxing Day Test.
The umpires took the players off in the 40th over with Western Australia 3 for 89 following discussions with the players and head groundsman Matt Page after the batsmen had taken a series of blows to the body.
The decision was taken between the umpires and match referee for the groundstaff to roll the surface with a further inspection due to take place at 4pm local time.

Boxing Day 2020 Test match at Perth Stadium, might be more than a cheeky WA pipe dream.

Nah keep it in Melbourne - anything to upset the Indians!!!
ICC will have final say where MCG gets a ban or not. Some monies changing hand could be a possibility.

Gee you don’t often see pitches playing like that. Reminds me of those odd shaped balls you would toss around to liven up backyard cricket.

Below is a run down of our current squad and players who have played recently

Weatherald began playing in SA when he was 19 and is from Darwin (25 now)
Hunt is from ACT who was approached to play for SA this year (22 now)
Ferg is genuine SA developed but he is 35 years old
Travis head is genuine SA developed and is a big tick (25 years old). Often away on national duties
Jake Lehmann is SA developed who looked like he could play for Australia 2 years ago. Now he cant make a run and has been dropped (27 years old)
Tom Cooper left NSW in his early 20s because he couldnt get a game and is now 33 years old
Alex Ross was the Bradman young cricketer of the year a few years ago and now playing grade cricket (moved to SA when he was 17 and is now 27)
Alex Carey is SA developed and is a big tick (28 years old). Often away on national duties
Harry Nielsen is genuine SA developed and is a good young prospect. 24 years old
Chadd Sayers is genuine SA developed but 31 years old
Joe Mennie left NSW because he couldnt get a game in his early 20s. Is 30 years old
Daniel Worrall left VIC because he couldnt get a game in his early 20s. Is 28 years old
Adam Zampa left NSW for more opportunity and came to SA in his early 20s. is 27 years old
Kane Richardson is genuine SA developed and is a tick. Plays for Aus in ODI. 27 years old
Wes Agar left VIC seeking more opportunities in SA when he was 18. Is 22 now
Nick Winter moved to SA from ACT when he was 20 seeking opportunities to play at the higher level. is 26 now

By my count, thats 7 players who were developed in SA and 9 players who left their original state to seek more opportunities (read.. couldnt get a game in their original state)

Of the 16 listed players, 4 are over 30 and only 3 are under 25
Others we have tried like McInerney, Robins, Andrews, Valente, Dalton, Grant are no good at state level

The quality of young South Australian cricketers has been a huge problem for way too long. Too many premier cricket teams in SA and terrible development in our young players

Its no surprise to me how crap we are. Things have to change

SA is the weakest link in Australian cricket.

Too many mediocre district clubs.

There should be 16 clubs - 8 div 1 and 8 div 2. New clubs in the outer suburbs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back