The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt man. Nail is probably the biggest loser from me in that regard as I'll try to visit the venues of the places I like for food and beers. But VPA is probably the most frequent beer I buy, followed by a handful of Ferals range, so they do okay from my pocket.
Who's Colonial owned by? They've rapidly become one of my favourite breweries.

The Old Synagogue was on the news somewhere recently, sure looked good, very crafty.
Historical building, empty for long time..put to good use now!

* am looking for a good clean beer from Dan Murphy's- I usually like beers in green bottles? :rolleyes:
* a good white wine, smooth body, cheeky but not too tart..(sounds like an old girlfriend?)
* a good red wine -shiraz, merlot, blend, pinot, smooth, not too heavy..
* a bourbon same/better than george dickel, smooth, not too sweet, doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
* a good affordable champagne

Last edited:
The Old Synagogue was on the news somewhere recently, sure looked good, very crafty.

* am looking for a good clean beer from Dan Murphy's- I usually like beers in green bottles? :rolleyes:
* a good white wine, smooth body, cheeky but not too tart..(sounds like an old girlfriend?)
* a bourbon same/better than george dickel, smooth, not too sweet, doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Shepps missus was there last night doing the weather?

IMG_20191205_185623.jpg

I'm going to have to check out the old synagogue this weekend. I've been intrigued by that formerly derelict structure for the best part of the last decade.

On the beer front, finishing up the working week with a four pack of the headliner from otherside, and god damn if it isn't my favourite beer of 2019.

Bourbon is pretty sweet in general because of the corn.

Not sure what is "not too expensive"

Evan Williams Single barrel or Woodford reserve could fit the bill. Or find the dickel #12 if you are looking for an upgrade on the #8. It's significantly better.

Evan Williams Single barrel or Woodford reserve could fit the bill. Or find the dickel #12 if you are looking for an upgrade on the #8. It's significantly better.
ok, cheers, tried the woodford from duty free once, nice drop...wll give the williams and maybe dickel #12 a go.

Last edited:

ok, cheers, tried the woodford from duty free once, nice drop...wll give the williams and maybe dickel #12 a go.
Definitely make the step up #12. Otherwise buffalo trace is still cheap a lot of places. Can find it for sub $60 a bottle if you look in the right places and it’s one of the better value bourbons out there

Definitely make the step up #12. Otherwise buffalo trace is still cheap a lot of places. Can find it for sub $60 a bottle if you look in the right places and it’s one of the better value bourbons out there
Hey thanks, 'buffalo trace'? haven't heard of it before, just googled it, sounds good...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a new place in Freo to have a beer and watch South's run around. It's called the Old Synagogue. Got a couple of roof top terraces, a 22 tap craft beer bar and a hidden speakeasy downstairs. Pretty rad. I think it opens tonight. Took this pic last night

View attachment 789935
Might go there fly in day on thursday.been looking forward to it opening.i believe it was supposed to open last week but mustve been behind schedule

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I bought the NZIPL yesterday, it's damn tasty.

Also bought Prancing Pony WCIPA which is a beauty.

Have you had Cheeky Monkey IIPA? I spotted some in the fridge along with their honey Red ale but decided to leave without them on that occasion.

Indeed, I love a good IPL and they've done theirs very well. Same as you, saw the honey ale and a red ale and IIPA but wasn't in the mood at the time. Looking back on it I would've much rather have tried those than the farmhouse red.

Hey thanks, 'buffalo trace'? haven't heard of it before, just googled it, sounds good...
They make some of the best bourbons in the world, or at least some of the most highly regarded and sought after. Buffalo trace is their entry level bourbon. Same price as jacks and miles better

I bought the NZIPL yesterday, it's damn tasty.

Also bought Prancing Pony WCIPA which is a beauty.

Have you had Cheeky Monkey IIPA? I spotted some in the fridge along with their honey Red ale but decided to leave without them on that occasion.
Indeed, I love a good IPL and they've done theirs very well. Same as you, saw the honey ale and a red ale and IIPA but wasn't in the mood at the time. Looking back on it I would've much rather have tried those than the farmhouse red.
I was at mane liquor on Friday and they were launching their beer they made with cheeky monkey - twin pole sour. They were showing off the rest of their range when I was there so got to try the honey and double ipa. Agree that NZIPL is delicious. The double was very good as far as doubles go which aren’t my usual go to. Honey wasn’t for me as it was super sweet but I also don’t to for red ales which is what the base beer was. The bloke behind the counter said the ratio of honey to fermentable sugars (or something like that) was 30% which is apparently crazy high hence the sweetness. Appreciate the beer though! Also agree that the farmhouse red is rubbish

They make some of the best bourbons in the world, or at least some of the most highly regarded and sought after. Buffalo trace is their entry level bourbon. Same price as jacks and miles better
a couple months back i was asked for Jacks and the bottle shop guy told me to get BT instead. Only 50 bucks as well.

coincidentally I've been sick in bed and watched a video into entry level whisk(e)y and the had Buffalo trace on it.

JDWCE whats your opinion Monkey Shoulder?

Bit over beers atm and keen to explore scotch/ whiskey/ bourbon a bit more.

I read that that’s a good entry level scotch.

JDWCE whats your opinion Monkey Shoulder?

Bit over beers atm and keen to explore scotch/ whiskey/ bourbon a bit more.

I read that that’s a good entry level scotch.
It's ok.

Glen Grant 10 year old is much better for only about $10 more. Pretty sure it won best single malt in the world for 10 year olds or younger last year. Alternatively they do one under the 10 year old (can't remember its name though) and it sits roughly the same price as monkey shoulder. They would be my preference

It's ok.

Glen Grant 10 year old is much better for only about $10 more. Pretty sure it won best single malt in the world for 10 year olds or younger last year. Alternatively they do one under the 10 year old (can't remember its name though) and it sits roughly the same price as monkey shoulder. They would be my preference
Yeah but is it ideal for a newbie like me. I've just got to a stage where i can drink bourbon neat or on the rocks at least. I don't want to really spent 70 bucks on a bottle of scotch and then mix it with water or something else. Kinda want a good/cheap entry level scotch tbh and build my palate u.

Yeah but is it ideal for a newbie like me. I've just got to a stage where i can drink bourbon neat or on the rocks at least. I don't want to really spent 70 bucks on a bottle of scotch and then mix it with water or something else. Kinda want a good/cheap entry level scotch tbh and build my palate u.
Yeah that and naked grouse are both probably good starters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back