SEASON 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

The jouneyman

Team Captain
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
The EFNL wish list is 5 more teams to have 5 divisions of 10.So lets say they bring in Berwick and how about they approach Wandin,Mt Evelyn,Yarra Glen and even Olinda all ex EFL sides.If this did happen I would not be happy if I was a YVMDL person as the current new structure has stuffed up your good competition.
The teams you have mentioned would be derelict in there duty not too look at joining the EFNL, because if you look at South belgrave and Silvan they have become real powerful and destination clubs since joining the EFNL.

wtfa

Debutant
Dec 26, 2007
pucka
The EFNL wish list is 5 more teams to have 5 divisions of 10.So lets say they bring in Berwick and how about they approach Wandin,Mt Evelyn,Yarra Glen and even Olinda all ex EFL sides.If this did happen I would not be happy if I was a YVMDL person as the current new structure has stuffed up your good competition.
The above mentioned clubs have criss crossed leagues over the years The clubs you have mentioned have returned to their original league.

aussie80s

All Australian
Jan 12, 2008
The Mountain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Packers, Celtic, Box Hill
I was disappointed to lose South Belgrave and Silvan about 10 years ago but they had their reasons for joining the EFL based mostly on where their players were coming from. I also think Coldstream should probably be in our comp even though they never have been in the past.

With the strong Netball connection in the YVMDFL area I wouldn't think that clubs such as Olinda, Wandin and Mt Evelyn in particular would look at the EFL model as a positive step forward for their clubs incorporating both sports. In the EFL the Netball is not at the same ground or not even on the same day - I think someone said they play their netball on Friday nights. That splits clubs. That may suit the suburbs but not the country clubs. I'm sure all clubs explore what suits their own needs best but that would play a part now for clubs wishing to have their football and netball closely associated.

The EFL system links the football and netball in name only but they are more like two independent clubs under the one umbrella. There would be a halving of the gate takings if clubs joined the EFL if you don't get the netball traffic through. Belgrave crowds always seem small as their netballers play at South Belgrave due to no courts, although I believe they are getting some soon to rectify that.

Berwick are more suited to that style of model and are obviously keen to explore that with multiple applications to join the EFL.

I still think Berwick are well suited to the EFL and are hopefully accepted. Olinda, Yarra Glen, Mt Evelyn and Wandin are suited to the current format here due to their netball setup but things can alter.

There will still be a few changes happening when AFL Victoria try to work out what is best in Gippsland which could have flow on effects in our neighbouring Leagues. There will still be a lot of changes in the next few years.

It would have been nice to retain the YVMDFL as it was a unique wedge of country with its own autonomous competition. It was very stable for over 50 years so I had gotten quite comfortable with it. I miss that aspect of it. Fortunately my side is in Div 1 which is mostly YVMD clubs. I have concerns for those clubs now in Premier.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I was disappointed to lose South Belgrave and Silvan about 10 years ago but they had their reasons for joining the EFL based mostly on where their players were coming from. I also think Coldstream should probably be in our comp even though they never have been in the past.

With the strong Netball connection in the YVMDFL area I wouldn't think that clubs such as Olinda, Wandin and Mt Evelyn in particular would look at the EFL model as a positive step forward for their clubs incorporating both sports. In the EFL the Netball is not at the same ground or not even on the same day - I think someone said they play their netball on Friday nights. That splits clubs. That may suit the suburbs but not the country clubs. I'm sure all clubs explore what suits their own needs best but that would play a part now for clubs wishing to have their football and netball closely associated.

The EFL system links the football and netball in name only but they are more like two independent clubs under the one umbrella. There would be a halving of the gate takings if clubs joined the EFL if you don't get the netball traffic through. Belgrave crowds always seem small as their netballers play at South Belgrave due to no courts, although I believe they are getting some soon to rectify that.

Berwick are more suited to that style of model and are obviously keen to explore that with multiple applications to join the EFL.

I still think Berwick are well suited to the EFL and are hopefully accepted. Olinda, Yarra Glen, Mt Evelyn and Wandin are suited to the current format here due to their netball setup but things can alter.

There will still be a few changes happening when AFL Victoria try to work out what is best in Gippsland which could have flow on effects in our neighbouring Leagues. There will still be a lot of changes in the next few years.

It would have been nice to retain the YVMDFL as it was a unique wedge of country with its own autonomous competition. It was very stable for over 50 years so I had gotten quite comfortable with it. I miss that aspect of it. Fortunately my side is in Div 1 which is mostly YVMD clubs. I have concerns for those clubs now in Premier.

A great post and you are correct in saying the EFNL netball is played on a Friday night as nearly all EFNL clubs do not have a netball court next to their footy grounds.

It would be better to stop attracting outer east clubs and go for SFNL clubs that are close to the EFNL zone like.
Ashwood div 3, Doveton Eagles div 2, Endeavour Hills div 3, Hallam div 4, and the Mountain Lions if they get back up

Bertie36

Rookie
Dec 5, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How AFLOE react will be interesting.. From memory they where on record last time saying that it would be appealed.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
How AFLOE react will be interesting.. From memory they where on record last time saying that it would be appealed.

Agree. It’s AFL Vic’s call ultimately I believe, they blocked Heidelberg’s move ten years ago and could do the same here.

The whole thing is stupid, it really makes you wonder why there is not simply some leadership to just make it all happen properly.

The Peninsula clubs (proper Peninsula clubs south of Frankston) do not want to travel and play suburban clubs, now they are because of MPNFL divisions they didn’t want. You have the SFNL and MPNFL pinching each other’s clubs to try to expand/defend their patch, the old SEFL clubs always looking for a new home, now merged with the YVMDFL and wrecking that competition. As well as looking to MPNFL territory, you also have the SFNL looking to what is now supposedly OEFL territory and grabbing Narre South etc. And then there’s the EFL just looking to take clubs from anywhere and everywhere.

- Return the YVMDFL to what it was, it was a good league.

- tell the EFL they’re the EFL, not the Greater Eastern / Northern / Southern / Mountain District League

- create a proper Mornington Peninsula FL of all the Peninsula clubs, which should’ve happened years ago.

- create a proper SFL for the south and south eastern suburbs ffs, from the southern suburbs out to Pakenham and across to Frankston. Put them all in divisions and let them find their level.

The refusal to adapt to the enormous growth of the south eastern suburbs over the past 30 years has led to and the silly little moves happening has only served affect all the leagues around it.
Frankston is a suburb, not the country. So is Narre Warren, Pakenham, Berwick and Cranbourne.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree. It’s AFL Vic’s call ultimately I believe, they blocked Heidelberg’s move ten years ago and could do the same here.

The whole thing is stupid, it really makes you wonder why there is not simply some leadership to just make it all happen properly.

The Peninsula clubs (proper Peninsula clubs south of Frankston) do not want to travel and play suburban clubs, now they are because of MPNFL divisions they didn’t want. You have the SFNL and MPNFL pinching each other’s clubs to try to expand/defend their patch, the old SEFL clubs always looking for a new home, now merged with the YVMDFL and wrecking that competition. As well as looking to MPNFL territory, you also have the SFNL looking to what is now supposedly OEFL territory and grabbing Narre South etc. And then there’s the EFL just looking to take clubs from anywhere and everywhere.

- tell the EFL they’re the EFL, not the Greater Eastern / Northern / Southern / Mountain District League

- create a proper Mornington Peninsula FL of all the Peninsula clubs, which should’ve happened years ago.

- create a proper SFL for the south and south eastern suburbs ffs, from the southern suburbs out to Pakenham and across to Frankston. Put them all in divisions and let them find their level.

The refusal to adapt to the enormous growth of the south eastern suburbs over the past 30 years has led to and the silly little moves happening has only served affect all the leagues around it.
Frankston is a suburb, not the country. So is Narre Warren, Pakenham, Berwick and Cranbourne.

A great post,fully agree with you.

The jouneyman

Team Captain
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

Great post mate,AFLVIC are a spineless organization,they have no vision no plan, nothing and all this tit for tat between the league's is only going to get worse.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Great post mate,AFLVIC are a spineless organization,they have no vision no plan, nothing and all this tit for tat between the league's is only going to get worse.

It’s crazy...

The SFL has been shrinking for decades because it hasn’t followed the population to the outer suburbs like other metro leagues have

There’s a divide in the MPNFL because the genuine country clubs don’t want to play the suburban clubs north of Frankston (who are in SFL territory anyway)

The SEFL clubs are simply lost.

Here’s an idea... how about a proper league for them all???

Bertie36

Rookie
Dec 5, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have AFL Vic at any point shown any indication they even believe there is an issue ?

18 months ago the Sth East comp was untenable because the competition was so uneven. And its clubs wanted divisional football

6 of the 7 remaining original Sth East teams are now playing each other in the same division.

In 12 months Beaconsfield Narre and Cranbourne lose a traditional rival who will then with an increased salary cap of 90k target recruit the best players in the area.. Their area.... Two of those three have been in the leader this year atleast alluding to potentially exploring alterantive options in 2021.

What effect does the Berwick situation have on their decision ?

Div 1 is again a Yarra Valley competition. Minus 4 of its successfully run clubs. 3 of whom sit on the fringe of the EFL competition.

The EFL want 50 teams.....

aussie80s

All Australian
Jan 12, 2008
The Mountain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Packers, Celtic, Box Hill
Why waste another year with Berwick, if they are gone ship them off and ask any other clubs if they’d like to join them
It's not entirely finalised as Outer East and AFL Victoria still have some input on the matter but I can't see why anyone would stand in their way. Berwick are suited to EFL and should be given the green light to go. In the meantime they will be part of OE in 2020 although the impending move will be a big focal point for the year ahead - a bit like South Belgrave and Silvan's last year before moving, although amplified as they will be at the pointy end of Premier. The AFLOE AGM is tonight, maybe they will shed some light on their position.

I expect other clubs to follow as they only joined our comp at short notice when nothing else was available. None of them preferred the Yarra Ranges comp.

Cranbourne is the most likely to be the next to investigate their future - having already stated that they didn't want to join and only did so as it was their only remaining option. The expansion of the MPFNL will likely finalise a move there.

Beaconsfield and Pakenham both want to be in West Gippsland (as did Officer) but were rejected as they are too large. Beaconsfield have also shown interest in SFL so OE was their third or fourth option. Being next to Berwick, a move to the EFL might be easier now if they wanted that.

Officer preferred West Gippsland but are now happy in OE. Can't see them leaving unless the SFL was reformed and they were invited but even then they might prefer to stay.

Narre Warren have also shown interest in EFL but have taken no significant steps at this stage. They are a big club but they are also apparently paying off their share of clubroom improvements which means their potential increased costs of joining the EFL will hold them back for another year or two but long term I would imagine they would make a move there.

Doveton wanted to be in SFL. Considering that they are a suburb next to Dandenong they should be in the SFL. They are currently fully committed to OE and it will be interesting to see how they fare in Premier next year.

I would be surprised if these clubs don't investigate their options as their two to three year agreements expire. I don't want to see any clubs face extinction but they also need to be in a suitable competition and none of them are suited to be in the Yarra Valley and for none of them was it their preferred option. We've helped save them (from themselves mostly) but should be happy to let them go if they find a more suitable competition to join.

OE won't ask any teams to go as their agenda is to grow the competition. They aren't as concerned as to the suitability of clubs but are assisting to help take steps to form new clubs to dilute highly populated areas. Again, the aim to form new senior clubs, such as Berwick Springs and North Narre Foxes is all about their growth agenda and does not take into account suitability of mixing suburban and country towns. Hopefully the diluting of suburbs of 50K will bring them more on par with valley towns of 3K even if the dynamics don't match.

Last edited:

Billy Blogs

Senior List
Sep 14, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Doveton have never been in the SFL. So have never been kicked out .As for Naree owing money on club side rooms I find that hard to believe it’s a council ground clubs don’t pay for rooms

Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton
Cranbourne should be in the MPNFL but their clubs there are worried about them being a threat, hence the fact that they are more comfortable with the lower-level SFL clubs coming over as part of a third division.

Beaconsfield, Narre Warren and Pakenham should be in the MPNFL or Eastern, not West Gippsland. The WGFNC now has 12 teams and is not going to become a two-division competition unless the clubs back down from AFL Victoria in a big way. They are very happy with how their new competition has been set up. The EFNL clubs may be a bit prickly about expanding out further east (especially as far as Pakenham) because of distance.

Officer look happy to be away from the major ex-SEFNL clubs and would be good for them to stay. Should they be up against the Narres and Beacys again, they would probably turn their attention towards the WGFNC or the Ellinbank league.

The Doveton you referred to was the Doveton Eagles. I reckon Doveton would be a better fit with the SFL if they opt to move.

Last edited:

Weflyasone2019

Draftee
Dec 9, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's not entirely finalised as Outer East and AFL Victoria still have some input on the matter but I can't see why anyone would stand in their way. Berwick are suited to EFL and should be given the green light to go. In the meantime they will be part of OE in 2020 although the impending move will be a big focal point for the year ahead - a bit like South Belgrave and Silvan's last year before moving, although amplified as they will be at the pointy end of Premier. The AFLOE AGM is tonight, maybe they will shed some light on their position.

I expect other clubs to follow as they only joined our comp at short notice when nothing else was available. None of them preferred the Yarra Ranges comp.

Cranbourne is the most likely to be the next to investigate their future - having already stated that they didn't want to join and only did so as it was their only remaining option. The expansion of the MPFNL will likely finalise a move there.

Beaconsfield and Pakenham both want to be in West Gippsland (as did Officer) but were rejected as they are too large. Beaconsfield have also shown interest in SFL so OE was their third or fourth option. Being next to Berwick, a move to the EFL might be easier now if they wanted that.

Officer preferred West Gippsland but are now happy in OE. Can't see them leaving unless the SFL was reformed and they were invited but even then they might prefer to stay.

Narre Warren have also shown interest in EFL but have taken no significant steps at this stage. They are a big club but they are also apparently paying off their share of clubroom improvements which means their potential increased costs of joining the EFL will hold them back for another year or two but long term I would imagine they would make a move there.

Doveton wanted to be in SFL. Considering that they are a suburb next to Dandenong they should be in the SFL. They are currently fully committed to OE and it will be interesting to see how they fare in Premier next year.

I would be surprised if these clubs don't investigate their options as their two to three year agreements expire. I don't want to see any clubs face extinction but they also need to be in a suitable competition and none of them are suited to be in the Yarra Valley and for none of them was it their preferred option. We've helped save them (from themselves mostly) but should be happy to let them go if they find a more suitable competition to join.

OE won't ask any teams to go as their agenda is to grow the competition. They aren't as concerned as to the suitability of clubs but are assisting to help take steps to form new clubs to dilute highly populated areas. Again, the aim to form new senior clubs, such as Berwick Springs and North Narre Foxes is all about their growth agenda and does not take into account suitability of mixing suburban and country towns. Hopefully the diluting of suburbs of 50K will bring them more on par with valley towns of 3K even if the dynamics don't match.

Not sure where your getting your info from. Most of that is miles off.

Berwick clearly unhappy, but they have never been happy where ever they have been. They had a failed period in the VFA back in the day. Have always felt they were better than others.

The EFL was an option for quite a few clubs, but the netball aspect of OE tipped it in most clubs joining the new structure. I know the netball was the key driver for my club. When OE presented they presented both options and discussed both. They actually informed the scenario of alternative options and pros and cons. I’ve been following from a far for a while now and how it’s presented is not accurate. I can tell you they (OE) are miles ahead of the rubbish we were managed by previously.

Cranbourne didn’t have a choice, but OE did the right thing taking them. Mornington still their preferred option but realistically not an option. With most players returning, hearing they are happier, though I think MPNFL will be on the radar whilst there is a pulse.

Most of the former SE clubs I speak to are happy in OE. Beaconsfield, Narre, Officer, Doveton etc. Pakenham not sure are excited being back with some of the big clubs, but enjoyed this year with competitive footy. Used to be a powerhouse so are where they should be.

The reality is that the failure of the MPNFL to take all clubs in the first place was an absolute disgrace. That would have been one hell of a comp.

Berwicks netball have been left high and dry by the move to the EFL. Believe they didn’t know about the most recent application and have no intention on leaving, which makes things extremely interesting. One thing is certain that the netball arms of the SE clubs are happy with the structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back