MFC Fans Only 2019/2020 Summer Sports Talk

Or maybe it goes to show that when your opener scores centuries you win alot of games?

So basically no centuries recorded by australian players mean anything between 1995-2008 because we won most games?
of course they do. But only the ones made overseas against good teams count

Joking, having a quick look the main test batsmen during that 00's golden period they had a pretty good rate of hunderds outside Australia

Gilchrist 10/17
Langer 8/23
Pointing 18/41
Hayden 10/30
Martyn 9/13

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
of course they do. But only the ones made overseas against good teams count

Joking, having a quick look the main test batsmen during that 00's golden period they had a pretty good rate of hunderds outside Australia

Gilchrist 10/17
Langer 8/23
Pointing 18/41
Hayden 10/30
Martyn 9/13
How the * does a west Aussie only score 4 centuries at home in a 67 test career. Nuts.

How the fu** does a west Aussie only score 4 centuries at home in a 67 test career. Nuts.
I was pretty surprised with that too

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
No question warner has his deficiencies outside Aus, its not really a strong point of any top batsmen and to be honest most sides are garbage outside their home countries these days. But if it was so easy to avg 63plus at home why doesn't everyone do it.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Holy s**t the MCG pitch was an absolute minefield in VIC v WA today. Play suspended with good reason.

Yeah why would they play in that? Pitch should be so flat that both sides make 700.
Would hate for batting to be difficult

How about instead of playing on the front foot they play on the back foot like batsmen used to when there weren't helmets around?

Charlie_s123

Premium Platinum
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah why would they play in that? Pitch should be so flat that both sides make 700.
Would hate for batting to be difficult

How about instead of playing on the front foot they play on the back foot like batsmen used to when there weren't helmets around?
Somewhere in between 700 run innings and old man Siddle being able to clock people in the head just short of a good length would probably be ideal.

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Holy s**t the MCG pitch was an absolute minefield in VIC v WA today. Play suspended with good reason.

I know they got a result at the MCG last year but that was probably due to Australias incompetence than a good pitch. I remember hearing the MCG was iin danger of losing its Test status due to the pitch being so lifeless the past few seasons. Hence why the groundsmen have probably been instructed to make sure its a bit more spicy. Obviously they've gone a bit overboard.

Still a long way to go and if Liverpool get out of the CL group they'll have a lot of games to navigate. An injury to one of the front 3 or Van Dijk could easily see us drawing or losing games we've been winning unconvincingly in recent times.

I agree it would be an enormous choke if we don't go on to win from here. Can you imagine just how much the pressure will build if it starts to tighten up? Millions of fans, media, past-players, mental demons. It's why I'm so nervous as a fan.
Spoken like a true Melbourne fan.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Its not the test pitch , there have been 2 other matches at the "G" with no dramas' . Sounds like the match has been called off too.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Honestly couldn't remember if it was called a close slip or regular. Spose fly slip is out the back?

A fly slip is between a regular slip and third man

I think you were wanting a close to bat gully to catch a ball fended of the handle/glove?

You see blokes in the sun continent field their with a helmet on, because the knicks font carry as far

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
A fly slip is between a regular slip and third man

I think you were wanting a close to bat gully to catch a ball fended of the handle/glove?

You see blokes in the sun continent field their with a helmet on, because the knicks font carry as far
Yeah like a really close leg slip but on the offside for something hitting the bat then shoulder.

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Before they called it off Cameron Bancroft was caught at leg gully again. 6 times in 7 innings and 7 times for the season. That is just ridiculous. Even with his s**t technique to still continually pick out the fielder in that position is amazing.

I’d be surprised if any other batsmen in the history of cricket has been out caught at leg gully 7 times in their career.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hmmm wonder if the current heat wave over in Perth will affect the wicket over there . :think: :think: . Nah lets just s**t on the MCG wickets even though they have another 2 weeks to get the test pitch sorted . Both Warner and Burns seem more concerned with Perth ATM , wish the media would be too .

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hmmm wonder if the current heat wave over in Perth will affect the wicket over there . :think: :think: . Nah lets just s**t on the MCG wickets even though they have another 2 weeks to get the test pitch sorted . Both Warner and Burns seem more concerned with Perth ATM , wish the media would be too .
Looks like its gonna be 40+ for the entire test.

Back