Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

One more time trying to explain the what "AFL media" is and isn't

The AFL media is a media outlet operated by the AFL

It does not do media management and public relations at all.

The AFL and "industry" may or may not have gotten better at media management and public relations etc over the last few years but it is completely independent of the founding and investment in "AFL media".

There is the AFL Media division of the AFL, there are also a group of AFL accredited journos* that cover the game & loosely referred to as the AFL media.
They have different masters.

*journos, not necessarily professionals.

There is the AFL Media division of the AFL, there are also a group of AFL accredited journos* that cover the game & loosely referred to as the AFL media.
They have different masters.

*journos, not necessarily professionals.

Well, yep that's a reasonable and useful distinction. I was whacking "" around "AFL media" to distinguish the former from the latter

(then go to 6.12 "Pressure builds to ban rugby league for kids" article)

This concussion issue is very likely to have enduring, significant effects for RL.
And for other sports in Australia?

99% of heading of soccer balls occurs in training, where it is repeatedly practised. Heading soccer balls is banned for children up to U11 (games & training) in the USA- & is restricted to U13; & some UK organisations want similar action.

Re heading the modern light weight soccer ball, cf forces of gridiron helmet to helmet impacts to the head
"According to studies of experienced adult soccer players, heading can generate impact forces equivalent to those of a helmet-to-helmet football tackle".

Last edited:
Not getting any better for Melbourne City crowds = a shocking 6600 last night a AAMI with perfect weather.

I was genuinely surprised to hear this morning that despite a 3-0 home drubbing, City were in 2nd place (it was only Glory's 2nd win for season).

Shocking crowd for a big city club playing at home on a Friday night, which was doing well up to that point.

(then go to 6.12 "Pressure builds to ban rugby league for kids" article)

This concussion issue is very likely to have enduring, significant effects for RL.
And for other sports in Australia?

99% of heading of soccer balls occurs in training, where it is repeatedly practised. Heading soccer balls is banned for children up to U11 (games & training) in the USA- & is restricted to U13; & some UK organisations want similar action.

Re heading the modern light weight soccer ball, cf forces of gridiron helmet to helmet impacts to the head
"According to studies of experienced adult soccer players, heading can generate impact forces equivalent to those of a helmet-to-helmet football tackle".
The great difference between soccer and footy is, you aren't supposed to get hit in the head in footy. You dont practice getting hit in the head, the rules do not call for it.

It's possible for the AFL to take action to reduce the likelihood of it, which it has.

Soccers approach overall so far is to pretend the issue isn't real, and I am not sure that's viable long term.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The great difference between soccer and footy is, you aren't supposed to get hit in the head in footy. You dont practice getting hit in the head, the rules do not call for it.

It's possible for the AFL to take action to reduce the likelihood of it, which it has.

Soccers approach overall so far is to pretend the issue isn't real, and I am not sure that's viable long term.

that is because it isn't much an issue. there is no evidence as of yet.

If you can't be bothered to watch an hour-long doco, basically, no real evidence that heading the ball in kids lead to problems. The ban is more of a concession hit worry rather than the process of heading the ball.

heading the old wet soccer balls looks like they were bad for dementia(they weighed 600 grams when wet), but again, no real evidence that the softer modern balls are causing it.

more research is needed overall

that is because it isn't much an issue. there is no evidence as of yet.

If you can't be bothered to watch an hour-long doco, basically, no real evidence that heading the ball in kids lead to problems. The ban is more of a concession hit worry rather than the process of heading the ball.

heading the old wet soccer balls looks like they were bad for dementia(they weighed 600 grams when wet), but again, no real evidence that the softer modern balls are causing it.

more research is needed overall

What would such evidence look like though? The encephalopathy caused by repeated low level head trauma in adults can only be diagnosed post mortem. There are a lack of soccer playing kids donating their brains to science as far as I am aware. Childrens brains are also more plastic, so physical trauma to the brain may not lead to the symptoms it does in adults, due to their brains adapting. However, I am not sure parents would be satisfied with the explanation of, yes its doing brain damage to your childs, brain, but they will adapt, so there shouldn't be any symptoms.

Another issue is, if a post mortem diagnoses encephalopathy in the brain of an adult who played a sport, they presumably also played it as a child, so how do you determine that its adult trauma to the brain that lead to the disease, but not any of the trauma produced as a child?

At a certain point, the question, is there any evidence of trauma in children, changes to the question of, is there any evidence that there isnt? Because what happens to the sport if they do nothing for 10 years, and then there is proof its bad for the brains of children?

Having said all that, there has been heaps of evidence being punched repeatedly in the head is bad for the brain, and boxing is still going strong.

FFA finally appoint a CEO from world football game, after CEO's that were a Rugby Union guy, then Aussie Rules guy and then a Rugby League guy.

But I have said before, the CEO of the A League will probably be a bigger job, but there will be a transition period.

New FFA boss James Johnson a ‘circuit breaker’

Incoming Football Federation Australia chief executive James Johnson wants to be seen as a “circuit breaker” in a sport wracked by internal conflict for the best part of four years. He is also fully aware of what he is in for.

When asked on Friday what was more difficult, currently dealing with European governing body UEFA regarding Manchester City’s possible ban from the Champions League for breaking financial rules, previous negotiations to restart Indonesian football that included talks with president Joko Widodo or uniting Australian soccer, Johnson plumped for the latter.

“There’s one common denominator across all those,” he said. “You need to have honest and open communication and build trust with your stakeholders. I’ll have a strong emphasis on communicating with people in the sport.”

Soccer in Australia is once again crying out for a saviour and the sport hopes they have found one of their own. Johnson was officially appointed on Friday to succeed David Gallop, who left FFA last week after seven years in the role having had long his cards marked as a “non-football” person following the departure of former chairman Steven Lowy late last year. Johnson has a decade of football administration across Australia and the world, having worked for the players’ union locally before moving to the Asian Football Confederation, world governing body FIFA and lastly this year City Football Group, the owners of Manchester City and Melbourne City, as its senior vice-president of external affairs.

Johnson’s CFG employment is also a common denominator in Australian football, with CFG director Simon Pearce, Melbourne City’s vice-chairman and a special adviser to the executive authority running Abu Dhabi, an immensely influential powerbroker in A-League circles as the competition looks to complete its separation from FFA within months.
1575770311236.png

Last edited:
Looks like English soccer is experiencing some racial issues at the moment. Last nights Manchester derby was marred by monkey gestures directed at Manchester united players from Manchester city supporters. This is one of a number of incidences seen in the country the last few years which lead sky sports pundit Gary Neville to claim racism has become worse in this country, even criticizing the current prime minister saying some of his views towards migration fuels the racial issues in society.

Players like Raheem Sterling have been subjected to constant racial abuse at both international and club level, an incident and Stamford Bridge last season were Chelsea fans racially vilified Raheem got mainstream attention.

There have been issues seen at international level were a match between England and Bulgaria was marred by Bulgarian fans racially abusing English players which the match had to be stopped on 2 occasions citing Nazi salutes and monkey chants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like English soccer is experiencing some racial issues at the moment. Last nights Manchester derby was marred by monkey gestures directed at Manchester united players from Manchester city supporters. This is one of a number of incidences seen in the country the last few years which lead sky sports pundit Gary Neville to claim racism has become worse in this country, even criticizing the current prime minister saying some of his views towards migration fuels the racial issues in society.

Players like Raheem Sterling have been subjected to constant racial abuse at both international and club level, an incident and Stamford Bridge last season were Chelsea fans racially vilified Raheem got mainstream attention.

There have been issues seen at international level were a match between England and Bulgaria was marred by Bulgarian fans racially abusing English players which the match had to be stopped on 2 occasions citing Nazi salutes and monkey chants.

I don't think it has increased that much though I won't argue against people who think it has. I just think people are more vocal about their disgust and that is a good thing. Stuff like social media allows idiots to have a voice where before they were ignored and out of sight.

Scun-thorpes match last night in the English league 2 was stopped for racism against one of our players. Our opponents took shift action over the PA but idiots will be idiots.

Italy is a mess with racism atm. One of the big newspapers had a headline called "black friday". see below. T

the day after, they did this.

Lukaku has had to put up with disgusting stuff and no action has been taken to combat it. The stuff in England is nothing compared to what has happened in Italy this year. It should be noted that Roma and AC Milan have banned the above newspaper from covering their matches.

I don't think it has increased that much though I won't argue against people who think it has. I just think people are more vocal about their disgust and that is a good thing. Stuff like social media allows idiots to have a voice where before they were ignored and out of sight.

Scun-thorpes match last night in the English league 2 was stopped for racism against one of our players. Our opponents took shift action over the PA but idiots will be idiots.

Italy is a mess with racism atm. One of the big newspapers had a headline called "black friday". see below. T

the day after, they did this.

Lukaku has had to put up with disgusting stuff and no action has been taken to combat it. The stuff in England is nothing compared to what has happened in Italy this year. It should be noted that Roma and AC Milan have banned the above newspaper from covering their matches.

No doubt England is no where near as bad as other countries in Europe. It just seems a bit more noticeable of late with more articles of racism in England then usual. People like Les Ferdinand has criticized the lack of action from UEFA on numerous issues and rightly so.

A League Round 9:

City v Perth - 6,679
Well v WSW - 8,851
Syd v Bris - 10,711
WUN v Vict - 10,128
Adel v Newc - 6,079

Crowd for Syd probably hampered by the fires, crowd in Adel probably hampered by the extreme heat.

A League Round 9:

City v Perth - 6,679
Well v WSW - 8,851
Syd v Bris - 10,711
WUN v Vict - 10,128
Adel v Newc - 6,079

Crowd for Syd probably hampered by the fires, crowd in Adel probably hampered by the extreme heat.
Looking at the Womens T20 on TV the my gosh the crowds were poo
I reckon the ABC have wasted our money on this as I bet the ratings would match the crowd interest.

Looking at the Womens T20 on TV the my gosh the crowds were poo
I reckon the ABC have wasted our money on this as I bet the ratings would match the crowd interest.
Their decision to have mini tournaments in 1 place, so you ended up with games like Perth v Adelaide, in Sydney, was bizarre. It's also bizarre that the WBBL keeps being reported as a resounding success and the AFLW is copping lots of criticism.

It's like the AFL needs to pull a fully pro league with big crowds and ratings out if it's arse, in order to have done any good in women's Sports, but all other sports get a participation badge just for trying.

Their decision to have mini tournaments in 1 place, so you ended up with games like Perth v Adelaide, in Sydney, was bizarre. It's also bizarre that the WBBL keeps being reported as a resounding success and the AFLW is copping lots of criticism.

It's like the AFL needs to pull a fully pro league with big crowds and ratings out if it's arse, in order to have done any good in women's Sports, but all other sports get a participation badge just for trying.

Perhaps the reporting reflects the AFL spin .... the expectation as demonstrated by the demands of the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back