Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Their decision to have mini tournaments in 1 place, so you ended up with games like Perth v Adelaide, in Sydney, was bizarre. It's also bizarre that the WBBL keeps being reported as a resounding success and the AFLW is copping lots of criticism.

It's like the AFL needs to pull a fully pro league with big crowds and ratings out if it's arse, in order to have done any good in women's Sports, but all other sports get a participation badge just for trying.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I think it was Teen Wolf that wrote a really good post in an AFLW thread providing a long list of things that cricket has done with the WBBL that each would have been experienced as a fresh hell being inflicted if the AFL had tried the same with the AFLW

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Perhaps the reporting reflects the AFL spin .... the expectation as demonstrated by the demands of the players.
I would rather the AFL is held to higher standards, and fail to reach them, than everyone be impressed they met low standards.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I think it was Teen Wolf that wrote a really good post in an AFLW thread providing a long list of things that cricket has done with the WBBL that each would have been experienced as a fresh hell being inflicted if the AFL had tried the same with the AFLW
WBBL just announced its first female assistant coach, to much hurrahs. An AFLW team is criticised if it only has 1.

WBBL just announced its first female assistant coach, to much hurrahs. An AFLW team is criticised if it only has 1.

Incorrect - first female coach of a Men's BBL club.

Looks like the 3rd coming of John O'Neil for RA is on the cards - but this times as chairman not CEO.

John O’Neill courted for key rugby role
  • EXCLUSIVE LEO SHANAHAN MEDIA EDITOR JOHN STENSHOLT EDITOR, THE LIST
    565042f6c46144199837e80eeef27f40
    12:00AM DECEMBER 9, 2019
Former Rugby Australia boss John O’Neill has been approached to take over as chairman of the struggling code but is understood to be asking to pick his own CEO and board to get the game back on track and negotiate a new broadcast deal.

The movements come as Optus focuses on landing European football rights and Socceroos World Cup qualifiers ahead of rugby union rights under new CEO Kelly Bayer Rosmarin.

Rugby Australia is preparing to kick off negotiations with broadcasters for its new rights package, with a tender document due to be sent to broadcasters in mid-January outlining the auction process. While RA chief executive Raelene Castle previously walked away from a Foxtel offer believed to be worth around $20m for the domestic rugby rights, Foxtel is yet to decide whether to enter the new round of rugby rights negotiations.

While Clyne is set to step down in March at RA’s AGM, board members are understood to be pushing for an earlier departure, with both the Wallabies coach and the Folau issues resolved. It is understood several board members have approached former ARU chief executive and FFA boss O’Neill about returning to the game, which he led in Australian rugby’s most successful period between 1995 and 2003, and again between 2007 and 2013.

Several are also understood to be pushing for Castle to be replaced as CEO at the same time, with former Wallaby captain Phil Kearns consistently mentioned as a contender. Those familiar with negotiations say O’Neill has made it clear he would only return if he were given the right to choose the CEO, the board and have no board elections for four years.A similar approach was taken with former FFA boss Frank Lowy when he gave O’Neill the job of turning around the Football Federation Australia — leading to the most successful period in the Socceroos’ history.

Don't get me started... ok you got me started. The thing that really topped it off yesterday with the Brisbane v Adelaide final: CA using the post-match dais to promote the upcoming Women's T20 World Cup, in which no games will be played in either Queensland or South Australia!

Other WBBL malarkey from the weekend, liiiiike:
  • Final demoted to 7mate
  • One of the semi-finals played in a neutral venue/city/state
  • CA not releasing an attendance figure for the final at tiny AB Field, but making sure to announce it was a sellout (which is almost like saying the allocation of tickets are exhausted for World Cup games in QLD and SA)
...were to be expected. And just as expected, not a word from any news outlet scolding Cricket Australia's shameful disrespect of female athletes et cetera et cetera. Weirdly, though, the media undoubtedly latched on to (and lashed CA for its handling of) the anti-corruption ban story.

I noticed. Maybe free entry could be considered? :huh:
Stop saying that, and I'll stop saying this: Free entry for adults is still common for women's cricket matches, there is absolutely no proof to suggest it has an impact on crowd numbers. If Cricket Australia want better WBBL attendances, they might start by not scheduling matches at 11am on a Wednesday in November (although, given such a circumstance, 1008 spectators at Launceston is actually pretty good).

I did think it odd.
Nevertheless there are currently just as many female WBBL head coaches as there are female AFLW head coaches. So we can expect an influx of disparaging "WBBL is a competition run by men for men" articles any moment now.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

What we've got is several different models.

AFLW
  • Free entry to everything (except double headers with mens matches)
  • Every match broadcast live.
  • 7 week season with conferences + two weeks of finals (includes some double headers)
  • Final rated: 321k metro, 73k Foxtel (on 7s main channel)
NRLW
  • No Free entry
  • Every match broadcast live
  • 5 week season including final + Origin
  • All matches double headers with mens finals
  • Final rated: 321k metro (GEM), 109k Fox
  • Stand alone Origin rated: 382k (metro Nine/GEM), 152k on Fox
W-league
  • No Free entry
  • 14 week season + finals (includes some double headers)
  • Final rated: 22k on Foxtel
  • The Final attendance of 6,127 was a record for W-League grand finals.
WBBL
  • Some games paid entry.
  • Every game broadcast live - although some only streamed live on CA network
  • 53 matches (about a 8 week season + Finals)
  • Final rated: 162k & 205k on 7mate, 94k on Fox.
SuperNetball
  • No Free entry
  • All games broadcast live - half on Nine (main) and half on Telstra TV
  • 14 week season + Finals
  • Final rated: 271,000 on Nine (nationally)
  • Highest rating international (non world cup) - 119k

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I would rather the AFL is held to higher standards, and fail to reach them, than everyone be impressed they met low standards.

Not sure whose version of higher standards you might seek. I've been unimpressed at the way the womens game has been expanded, looking at you Gil.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Stop saying that, and I'll stop saying this: Free entry for adults is still common for women's cricket matches, there is absolutely no proof to suggest it has an impact on crowd numbers. If Cricket Australia want better WBBL attendances, they might start by not scheduling matches at 11am on a Wednesday in November (although, given such a circumstance, 1008 spectators at Launceston is actually pretty good).

So is it free?

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
What we've got is several different models.

AFLW
  • Free entry to everything (except double headers with mens matches)
  • 7 week season with conferences + two weeks of finals (includes some double headers)
  • Final rated: 321k metro, 73k Foxtel (on 7s main channel)
NRLW
  • No Free entry
  • Every match broadcast live
  • 5 week season including final + Origin
  • All matches double headers with mens finals
  • Final rated: 321k metro (GEM), 109k Fox
  • Stand alone Origin rated: 382k (metro Nine/GEM), 152k on Fox
W-league
  • No Free entry
  • 14 week season + finals (includes some double headers)
  • Final rated: 22k on Foxtel
  • The Final attendance of 6,127 was a record for W-League grand finals.
WBBL
  • Some games paid entry.
  • Every game broadcast live - although some only streamed live on CA network
  • 53 matches (about a 8 week season + Finals)
  • Final rated: 162k & 205k on 7mate, 94k on Fox.
SuperNetball
  • No Free entry
  • All games broadcast live - half on Nine (main) and half on Telstra TV
  • 14 week season + Finals
  • Final rated: 271,000 on Nine (nationally)
  • Highest rating international (non world cup) - 119k

The point of the conversation isn't really about models...it is about the almost comical double standards of some of the commentary around it women's sport when it comes to the AFLW.

In terms of the above, a key thing to remember about the AFLW is it is a transitional model - it is not an end point. As it is your summary is already out of date as next year will have an 8 round regular season and 3 week finals (and 2021 will be 9 rounds and 2022 will be 10).

Also, I'm pretty sure the NRLW is a four week season including the final. 7 matches so the same number of matches as one round of AFLW in 2020

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. SMH G. Robinson 9.12

Waratahs Chairman R. Davis "'We're all broke unless the Rights deal goes up (ie above $57,000,000 pa- my words)...we're tearing ourselves apart". Wants J. O'Neil to return (for 3rd time) as RA Chairman.
Foxtel's P. Delaney threatening to abandon broadcasting RU, apparently exasperated with R. Castle.
(Probably brinksmanship)

RA in a spot of bother.

2. Daily Telegraph 6.12
A failed RA Rights deal "could spell the death of the sport".

The RA broadcast Rights $ in the next agreement may be lower than the last deal, due to less content ie as Western Force has been axed, less local Super Rugby content.

(Behind paywall- can anyone open it)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
2. Daily Telegraph 6.12
A failed RA Rights deal "could spell the death of the sport".

The RA broadcast Rights $ in the next agreement may be lower than the last deal, due to less content ie as Western Force has been axed, less local Super Rugby content.

Due to less content? It's because no-one watches rugby anymore.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Due to less content? It's because no-one watches rugby anymore.
Thats the truth and all the TV networks (apart from the ABC} are only interested in is how many people are watching and how much they can sell the ads for and for RU its a big problem as not very many people are interested in the sport anymore.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Just confirming what we already know!

Kim Williams lashes 'low value' rugby union over sense of 'self-entitlement'
By Jennifer Duke and John McDuling
December 11, 2019 — 11.55pm
  • Former Foxtel boss Kim Williams has launched a scathing attack on Australian rugby union, describing the struggling code as a "low-value sport" and criticising its administrators for "astonishing self-entitlement".

The comments from Mr Williams, who was chief executive of News Corp's pay-TV service for a decade until 2011, come amid pressure on the leadership of Rugby Australia as it prepares for critical talks with broadcasters over its next television rights deal.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

• Former Foxtel boss Kim Williams has launched a scathing attack on Australian rugby union, describing the struggling code as a "low-value sport" and criticising its administrators for "astonishing self-entitlement".

The comments from Mr Williams, who was chief executive of News Corp's pay-TV service for a decade until 2011, come amid pressure on the leadership of Rugby Australia as it prepares for critical talks with broadcasters over its next television rights deal.

Wow, isn't he an AFL commissioner?

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Kim Williams is an AFL commissioner but also one of the most astute business people in Australia and of course ran Foxtel for a long time so he would know the TV sports landscape very well.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Kim Williams is an AFL commissioner but also one of the most astute business people in Australia and of course ran Foxtel for a long time so he would know the TV sports landscape very well.

Given the conflict of interest he probably shouldn't be making any comment.

A link would be nice, to read more.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The Australian govt. is donating $40,000,000 to support sport in Pacific island nations.
Many would assume this Soft Power initiative is to promote cultural links with Australia. China is greatly increasing its diplomatic & economic links in the area. And probably, eventually, military.

RL and RU will probably be the main beneficiaries- & should greatly assist, also, players being recruited to play in elite competitions in Australia.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
The Australian govt. is donating $40,000,000 to support sport in Pacific island nations.
Many would assume this Soft Power initiative is to promote cultural links with Australia. China is greatly increasing its diplomatic & economic links in the area. And probably, eventually, military.

RL and RU will probably be the main beneficiaries- & should greatly assist, also, players being recruited to play in elite competitions in Australia.

Its a drop in the bucket compared to the billions China is spending anyway most will be eaten up by corruption by officials.

The irony is if RL and RU keep recruiting Islanders their comps will be even more dominated by them in years to come and cause a massive decline in non Islander players in Australia.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I am going to risk opening up a hornet's nest.

Australia and New Zealand have bid for the FIFA WWC in 2023. 12 cities(7 in Australia, 5 New Zealand) have been proposed and 13 stadiums. It will be hosted in July-August when FIFA wants it. The bid competitors are Japan, Brazil and Colombia.

The Aussie Cities are Sydney(SFS and Olympic), Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Newcastle and Launceston. There is a provision to have a minimum of 5 cities in each country, so I wouldn't be surprised if 2 Aussie ones are dropped if we get it. I would be shocked if York Park gets to host the 3 group matches we have been promised. That is the only AFL venue affected. Everything else uses rectangular stadiums.

Before someone starts, the bid document states
During the winter period, Australians and New Zealanders readily attend sporting events and support their country with passion. FFA and NZF have secured the support and commitment of other sports to collaborate on the delivery of the 2023 FWWC.
Indeed, the ACT government dropped out due to the length the stadium would be used for. That would be the same for Townsville and the Gold Coast Stadium, due to the NRL teams there.

I would say we are outsiders hoping that emotion of hosting it in Oceania for the first time is worth something. Japan is coming off a very successful Rugby World Cup and kills us with stadiums. Brazil/Colombia is in the US timezone. Indeed, I would say Australias part of this bid is a bit poor or rushed. Probably know FIFA don't really read it anyway. 45% of matches will roughly be held in NZ I read somewhere

bid doco

Last edited:
Back