The decade thats been.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
I want to forget this decade every existed.
Fergie leaves, we go to s**t.
City start winning the league and Liverpool are finally gonna win their 1st premier league title.
Worst decade ever.
They're winning the title next decade in theory

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
But then theres this so I guess SM is right.

'This calendar era is based on the traditionally reckoned year of the conception or birth of Jesus of Nazareth, with AD counting years from the start of this epoch, and BC denoting years before the start of the era. There is no year zero in this scheme, so the year AD 1 immediately follows the year 1 BC'.

But then theres this so I guess SM is right.

'This calendar era is based on the traditionally reckoned year of the conception or birth of Jesus of Nazareth, with AD counting years from the start of this epoch, and BC denoting years before the start of the era. There is no year zero in this scheme, so the year AD 1 immediately follows the year 1 BC'.

Don't tell WR. ;)

The 20's decade doesn't include 2020 now? haha

It is a bit strange conceptually as JD pointed out and it's a bit finnicky, but I only really mentioned it so that Pool winning the title can happen this decade. :p

Not a supporter of any of the bigs clubs, other than Liverpool, so my selections will be a little different to most.

Player of the decade
Liam Boyse - Ross County.

Favourite game of the decade
=1. Ross County's 3-2 victory over Celtic in 2013, who lead 2-0 after 15 minutes. It's our only victory against Celtic in the Premiership.
=1. Ross County's 2-0 win over Celtic in the 2010 Scottish FA Cup Semi Final.

Best or favourite goal of the decade
Steven Craig's opening goal against Celtic in the 2010 Scottish FA Cup Semi Final.

Best memory
Ross County winning the Scottish Cup in 2016. The smallest club (the town we reside in has a population of 5500) to win a major league trophy.

Biggest disappointment
Carlisle United, Deportivo La Coruna and Karlsruher's relegations to the lower leagues.

Best signing
Liam Boyse. In his final season for Ross County he was the Scottish Premiership Leading Goalscorer with 23 (IIRC) goals.

Biggest flop
Can't think of one.

Biggest regret sold player
Liam Boyse. We were relegated to the Scottish Championship the next season.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
How was Jovanovic a bigger flop than Karius? He was a free transfer when we had no money and were scraping the barrel. Literally nothing was expected of him. Karius was highly rated and brought in to be our number 1 keeper and was a complete disaster from his debut on.

Because Karius wasn't anywhere near our worst player of the decade. He was okay but never recovered from the CL final. Jovanovic was utter dross whether he was a free transfer or not. He had been great in Belgium and had also just won the Belgian League's best player award before coming to us so it wasn't like he was that bad before we picked him up. Just because someone came in on a free, it doesn't mean you can say they flopped.

What about the likes of Konchesky or Poulsen?

Jay Spearing was very limited too from memory, although I guess he did have his moments.

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What about the likes of Konchesky or Poulsen?

Jay Spearing was very limited too from memory, although I guess he did have his moments.

I think there's a difference between worst player and biggest flop. Guys like Konchesky, Poulsen and Jovanovic had little to no expectations when they joined.

Karius was signed to be our number 1. He had wraps on him as being the best keeper in Germany after Neuer and he was a complete disaster from his very first game at Swansea up until his last game in the Champions League final.

The Markovic shout was a good one as well. He was hugely rated when he joined.

I think there's a difference between worst player and biggest flop. Guys like Konchesky, Poulsen and Jovanovic had little to no expectations when they joined.

Karius was signed to be our number 1. He had wraps on him as being the best keeper in Germany after Neuer and he was a complete disaster from his very first game at Swansea up until his last game in the Champions League final.

Markovic was a decent player though, was just a confidence player who needed to be playing regularly. Showed glimpses with us of what he could do. There were others for you like Bogdan who were just downright trash.

Flameboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Player of the decade
Eden Hazard

6-0 v Arsenal, 2014 PL
1-1 (4-3) v Bayern, 2012 UCL Final
2-2 v Barca, 2012 UCL Semi
4-1 v Napoli, 2012 UCL R16

Interesting that our two most memorable games (probably ever) actually ended in draws at full time.

Drogba v Bayern
Torres v Barca
Ba v Liverpool
Oscar v Juventus
Hazard v Spurs
Hazard v West Ham

Biggest disappointment
It is hard to have any in a decade where we won the league 3 times and conquered Europe. However the souring of relationship between club and Mourinho was a disappointing end.

Best memory
There's the obvious which I won't bleat on about, but beating Wigan 8-0 all the way back in 2010 (seems an eternity ago) was a memorable way to clinch the league.

Best signing
Hazard, Azpilicueta, Kante

Biggest flop.
Torres, and I never wanted anyone to succeed more than him.

KDB

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Team of the decade: Madrid with four CL wins is hard to dispute, though only two league titles have been won since 2010. On the flip side, Barca won La Liga 6 times, but the CL only twice. For me it's Madrid. To win four CL's is ridiculous in such a short period, let alone three in a row.

Player of the decade: It's Messi and/or Ronaldo. You take your pick. Robben, Lewandowski, Hazard, Ibrahimovic all worthy runners up.

Surprise of the decade: Leicester winning the PL I think takes it

Biggest disappointment of the decade: It's not a team or a player, but moreso how prevalent racism is in the game. Now more than ever it's become horrible. Diving too is still too common.

Manager of the decade: Guardiola. Sure, he was only at the helm of teams who had deep pockets, but what he achieved with Barca was incredible, and then with Bayern, and the Centurions with City. If I had to have a second choice, Zidane would probably be up there.

And a combined team of the decade;

Neuer
Alves Ramos Chiellini Lahm
Busquests
Iniesta Silva
Messi Aguero Ronaldo
DDG, Suarez, Lewa, Pique, Marcelo, Modric, Ibrahimovic

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
Player of the decade
Suárez given the state the club was in when we bought him.
2019 UCL SF vs Barça
Origi, assisted by Alexander-Arnold, followed by Suárez from halfway vs Norwich
Biggest disappointment
Chelsea in '14, Real last year was bad but they weren't as shocking results. I can't even be mad about losing the EPL after the UCL win this year.
Dunno why but probably the 2015 FA Cup semi vs Villa. Gerrard could've won the FA cup on his 35th birthday and ridden into the LA sunset but no, we get murdered 6-1 by Stoke in his last game.
Best memory
UCL '19
Best signing
VVD, without him we're battling for 4th place last season
Biggest flop
The transfer committee
Coutinho, I took no joy in seeing him ride the Barça bench. Stunted his career

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)

Konchesky didn't even live up to what little expectation was thrust upon him.

Became a hate figure much more so than Jovanovic or even Poulsen from memory.

Back