Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

When i was in perth i used to have evaporative air con at home and it would be on from when i got home to either just before i went to bed or if like it is now over there stay on all night. Needed to cool the air and circulate it

over here on the coast i have no air con just ceiling fans as the air temp (usually) is say 28-32 and just moving it around was enough.

And that has been fine the past 7 years or so. A few weeks of struggling for me during heat of the day as i work from home but a quick dip in the pool or cold shower and id be fine.

but damn last summer and now this one so far has been a nightmare for my home office. Was 38 at 8am.

time to get an aircon for my office

If anyone doubts global warming they only have to look at how much temperatures have risen in recent years, not just here but in the Northern Hemisphere as well, they have had record heatwaves in the UK and Europe recently and a lot of the glaciers in the Swiss Alps have melted and disappeared.

If anyone doubts global warming they only have to look at how much temperatures have risen in recent years, not just here but in the Northern Hemisphere as well, they have had record heatwaves in the UK and Europe recently and a lot of the glaciers in the Swiss Alps have melted and disappeared.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crazy weather, gone from a heatwave the last few days to mid 20s and raining today then we're going back to another heatwave next week.

Going to be 40 degrees next Thursday and Friday for the start of the Perth test, at least it's a D/N test at Optus where there is more shade, imagine if the test was being played at the WACA, there would be hardly anyone there, you would absolutely cook in that heat unless you were in the members stand.

Why are we having a D/N Test in Perth, not that I'm complaining.
IIRC they expect crowds to be big enough to be played at Optus if it’s a D/N, otherwise the crowd projection would be too low to play there and instead be played at the WACA

Why are we having a D/N Test in Perth, not that I'm complaining.

It's barely a day/night test, the last couple of hours the lights will be on but's really only half an hour of night cricket.

The main reason is ratings. The Perth test is one of the most watched tests in Australia, has been for years because of the timezone difference. Stumps at 5:30pm here is 8:30pm for some of the eastern states and that is in the middle of prime time. It means viewers in the east can come home from work and watch cricket for a good three or four hours from the comfort of their couch and it's in the busiest viewing time of the day. More viewers means better ratings and more people viewing the advertisements being telecast at that time equals more dollars for broadcasters.

It's the same with the AFL, that's why our Friday and Saturday night games are scheduled at 6:10pm and that is to accommodate for the eastern states (mainly Victoria) so that the game is in prime time for them and also so that it doesn't finish too late. At least CA has the balls to schedule the Scorchers' (Men) T20 games at 6:10pm/6:40pm WST to accommodate the local crowd and also so that it's actually a proper D/N match in avoiding the heat in the latter part of the day.

Thankfully, when the T20 World Cup comes here next year, we'll have some 7pm games as the tournament is run by the ICC.

It's barely a day/night test, the last couple of hours the lights will be on but's really only half an hour of night cricket.

The main reason is ratings. The Perth test is one of the most watched tests in Australia, has been for years because of the timezone difference. Stumps at 5:30pm here is 8:30pm for some of the eastern states and that is in the middle of prime time. It means viewers in the east can come home from work and watch cricket for a good three or four hours from the comfort of their couch and it's in the busiest viewing time of the day. More viewers means better ratings and more people viewing the advertisements being telecast at that time equals more dollars for broadcasters.

It's the same with the AFL, that's why our Friday and Saturday night games are scheduled at 6:10pm and that is to accommodate for the eastern states (mainly Victoria) so that the game is in prime time for them and also so that it doesn't finish too late. At least CA has the balls to schedule the Scorchers' (Men) T20 games at 6:10pm/6:40pm WST to accommodate the local crowd and also so that it's actually a proper D/N match in avoiding the heat in the latter part of the day.

Thankfully, when the T20 World Cup comes here next year, we'll have some 7pm games as the tournament is run by the ICC.
Well tbh the BBL did have 4.40 start times during the week at one point for the Scorchers. Ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back