#6 Luke Jackson - Going west (life is peaceful there)

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Kid seems like a great pick. Not sure what triggered the negativity, was it the description of him as a ruck or that he used to play basketball? Both? Seems like a great prospect who just happens to be taller than usual so I guess people want to put him into unimaginative boxes.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Kid seems like a great pick. Not sure what triggered the negativity, was it the description of him as a ruck or that he used to play basketball? Both? Seems like a great prospect who just happens to be taller than usual so I guess people want to put him into unimaginative boxes.
I think the knock on him from those that thought it a bad choice was the ruck thing, plus the recent switch to AFL.

I liked our trade period for what it’s worth. It seemed very confident - like these are the guys we think are a bit special so we’re going to make it happen. A bit of a go hard or go home statement.

Also, I don’t think our list is in bad shape - although I get that pretty much every match of 2019 seemed to disprove that.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
1. A ruckman is the last thing we needed with Gawn only 27 and Preuss probably the best ruck in the VFL.

2. He's from WA, we had to endure about 5 painful years of Hogan threatening to leave and then actually leaving. So we have that to look forward to again potentially.

3. He had a s**t highlights video at the time.

4. He had a boring name and ugly shaggy hair that was reminiscent of Jack Fitzpatrick in his 'prime'.

I'm comfortable with the decision now, given what we have in mind for him in the short and longer term. It has emerged that he's not really a traditional ruck at all and is more of a Jared Brennan type (hopefully better).

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think it was the fact that he was seen purely as a ruckman and traditionally big men take longer to develop. I'll admit I wasn't the biggest fan of the idea of picking up a ruckman when we already have gawn and Pruess. I realise now that the club has bigger plans for him rather than just a ruckman.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think it was the fact that he was seen purely as a ruckman and traditionally big men take longer to develop. I'll admit I wasn't the biggest fan of the idea of picking up a ruckman when we already have gawn and Pruess. I realise now that the club has bigger plans for him rather than just a ruckman.
At what point was it fact that he was seen purely as a ruckman? The only people saying that were the experts in here. His coach said he would/could play forward, the media said the same but that was all shot down as trying to help us not bid on Green and other bullshit. At no point did i ever see, hear, read he was purely a ruckman.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Im gonna think of Jeff White Stynes mix up and run with that. Just cause Blicavs looks like that campaigner with mental problems tryna play as a female
My God, he actually does. I can’t unsee this now.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
1. A ruckman is the last thing we needed with Gawn only 27 and Preuss probably the best ruck in the VFL.

I think it’s perfect timing in terms of transitioning to a new first choice ruckman. By the time Jackson completes his 3-4 year apprenticeship Gawn is in his twilight.

Pruess will never be more than handy back up.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
At what point was it fact that he was seen purely as a ruckman? The only people saying that were the experts in here. His coach said he would/could play forward, the media said the same but that was all shot down as trying to help us not bid on Green and other bullshit. At no point did i ever see, hear, read he was purely a ruckman.
No, but thats how he's been labelled and that's why there was so much negativity around him. I'll admit to it I knew nothing of the draft beforehand so for me at first it seem to be an odd choice but as I learned more I warmed up to him because of his versatility. Well I guess that's my point of view can't speak for anyone else.

Last edited:

I had a Hayden Young man crush after watching him at the Stingrays this year and wanted him. Now that I have gotten over my melt I'm not unhappy with having Jackson at the club. Will be interesting to see what he can bring to the table.

Will just watch Freo with interest to see how Young goes. Same with the Dogs for Weightman who Im tipping will have kicked around 30 goals in a premiership side by the end of the year.

I had a Hayden Young man crush after watching him at the Stingrays this year and wanted him. Now that I have gotten over my melt I'm not unhappy with having Jackson at the club. Will be interesting to see what he can bring to the table.

Will just watch Freo with interest to see how Young goes. Same with the Dogs for Weightman who Im tipping will have kicked around 30 goals in a premiership side by the end of the year.
How so? We didn't draft him did we?

Looks like a Kurt Tippett type to me.

One year in the ressies, then 17 goals in his second year and 55 in his third.

It's a bold strategy cotton.

liked purely for the Dodgeball quote

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne

I snuck down to watch our boys train today. First time since Feb 2018.

Was my first look at this kid. I honestly could see him playing any position on the ground. I was fairly questionable on the merits of picking him, but like when people tell me how to do my job that gave NFI about it,I wasn't about to question Taylor and these guys who watched him more than I prior to the draft.

He covers the ground like a friggin tarantula.he isn't fast like a jayden hunt or equivalent, but it's almost graceful. He has a huge leap, be it jumping for marks or in the ruck work he did. He took one strong grab over I think was petty, but then swung around and handballed to langdon almost before he got back to ground. Another pass from Pickett he grabbed on the lead and nearly jumpedright over Jones. The Grundy comparisons were fairly accurate but even Grundy at times still looks "big" if that makes sense. Jackson looks to be more agile and move faster.

Obviously all this means little as it was a windy Wednesday morning in January, and he still looks fairly lean and easy to push around. Plus his fitness looks like he blows up fairly quick still. But he kicks both feet really well, it looks a little awkward, but he missed basically nothing I saw today.

For me, tippett isn't a great comparison as he is much quicker thinking and moving, especially getting ball hand to foot. But from the hour I saw today of him, the player he moves most similarly to is a Jesse Stringer type almost. Now, the proof is obviously a long way off and I don't want to sound like I'm talking him up too much, but from what I saw today, I don't think any Melbourne supporters will care about who they originally wanted at pick 3 in 3 years time.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I snuck down to watch our boys train today. First time since Feb 2018.

Was my first look at this kid. I honestly could see him playing any position on the ground. I was fairly questionable on the merits of picking him, but like when people tell me how to do my job that gave NFI about it,I wasn't about to question Taylor and these guys who watched him more than I prior to the draft.

He covers the ground like a friggin tarantula.he isn't fast like a jayden hunt or equivalent, but it's almost graceful. He has a huge leap, be it jumping for marks or in the ruck work he did. He took one strong grab over I think was petty, but then swung around and handballed to langdon almost before he got back to ground. Another pass from Pickett he grabbed on the lead and nearly jumpedright over Jones. The Grundy comparisons were fairly accurate but even Grundy at times still looks "big" if that makes sense. Jackson looks to be more agile and move faster.

Obviously all this means little as it was a windy Wednesday morning in January, and he still looks fairly lean and easy to push around. Plus his fitness looks like he blows up fairly quick still. But he kicks both feet really well, it looks a little awkward, but he missed basically nothing I saw today.

For me, tippett isn't a great comparison as he is much quicker thinking and moving, especially getting ball hand to foot. But from the hour I saw today of him, the player he moves most similarly to is a Jesse Stringer type almost. Now, the proof is obviously a long way off and I don't want to sound like I'm talking him up too much, but from what I saw today, I don't think any Melbourne supporters will care about who they originally wanted at pick 3 in 3 years time.
Of all ******* players you choose a kid ******* w***er who thinks hes gods gift who looks like a ******* simpsons character? * me trade the campaigner i want none of that. Oh i was taking about Jake Stringer Doh! Nah good write up cheers for that. Oh get ****ed if he moves like Jesse Stringer the campaigner will be delisted end of the year anyway. But i wanted a player at pick 3 after watching a 5minute video. how could i possibly be wrong.

Last edited:
Of all ******* players you choose a kid ******* w***er who thinks hes gods gift who looks like a ******* simpsons character? fu** me trade the campaigner i want none of that. Oh i was taking about Jake Stringer Doh! Nah good write up cheers for that. Oh get f’ed if he moves like Jesse Stringer the campaigner will be delisted end of the year anyway. But i wanted a player at pick 3 after watching a 5minute video. how could i possibly be wrong.
Uum yes, exactly, I think, maybe. :cool: :moustache::rolleyes::moustache::cool:

Back