2020 Consensus 22: name the team FFS

Remove this Banner Ad

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
If Newman, Gibbons or Dow don’t make this side then they have been hard done by IMO. Reckon they will all play 15 plus games next year.

Great to finally have depth though!

Yep, what's making me most excited about this team is the list of players that aren't going to make the 22. We finally have some depth! (do we say that every year? :) )

Cripps2Walsh

Debutant
Nov 15, 2019
NT
AFL Club
Carlton
There seems to be a bit of a battle for that last midfield spot. I'm not 100% sure how these threads work, but I've tried to give a bit of a description with my selections. I went with:

Cripps - beast, gun or god himself. No explanation required
E Curnow - still a place for him, votes reflect that. Tackles hard, runs both ways and you know what you get week in week out, he gives 100%. Only prone sometimes by foot
Murphy - again, runs both ways but his delivery by foot this year was almost back to its best. Keen for another checkside goal this year
Setterfield - from all reports, primed for a break out year. Has the tools and would love a big body to step up and help Crippa. Can rest forward, play on a wing, deliver or win the ball
Walsh - picks himself. Mr "Vanilla" is a lock. Lost count how many times I said "this kid is a gun" this year. Just does everything well, and there's not many more I trust with ball in hand. In for another big one

Dow
Fisher

You could make an argument for interchanging a few players with Fish and Dow. That next string is probably from Newnes, Gibbons and LOB. Hopefully Stocker in the mix at some point too. Doc (pre injuries) was also in this mix, but I feel with his time out of the game, he needs to go back to familiarity at HB (perhaps even at seconds level for a few games).

I think Fish is a jet. Still lacks a bit of strength (both over the footy and in his tackling) and had a so and so year this year, will never be a crash and bash type mid, but I like that he can both receive the ball and win a loose ball. Great left peg, has a bit of speed, is a slippery customer and his footy IQ is fantastic too. He just reads the play so much better than a whole lot better than others and is focused what on "what is happening next" in chain of play. His main contender for me is Gibbons, and I see more upside with Fisher.

Dow just has to step up this year. He's got too much talent not to make it. I watched him panic a number of times this year with the footy in hand, and either bomb or torch the ball. Generally speaking has no problems by hand though. Hopefully another preseason under his belt getting bigger and stronger gives him a bit more confidence in stoppages to hold it just that split second or so longer for a decision or shrug a tackle, which he can do because he showed he can do it at junior footy level. I think its more a confidence issue for Paddy. I think I remember a video that mentioned Diesel was working with him closely this preseason, which is great. Hopefully a bit of arrogance rubs off.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
So we will know the consensus team shortly.

No point even doing the ruck spot. Matty K will be a land slide.
So Newman and Levi will be in the emergencies.
Maybe once the team is finalised we could vote for the last 1 or 2 emergencies?

We could vote for ruck (MK) and ruck emergency? The other emergency spots are set (or will be very shortly).

FWIW...

Fisher was the voted the forward emergency but as he has made the midfield line Kennedy is promoted to take his place. Pretty safe to assume Kreuz gets the ruck gig and considering Levi has had 25 votes across the fwd & def lines he probably gets the emg ruck spot.

I wouldn't mind letting the mid poll run for just a little bit more, it'd be nice to have all 3 polls get to 150 votes for consistency. There's also a bee's **** in it between Gibbons & Dow for the emergency spot and not much more between Gibbo & Newnes.

DEF: Weitering (99%), Jones (99%), Docherty (97%), Plowman (89%), Simpson (78%), Marchbank (74%), Petrevski-Seton (63%), Newman (61%)

FWD: McKay (99%), Betts (98%), Curnow (97%), McGovern (96%), Martin (94%), Cuningham (80%), Silvagni (53%), Fisher (26%), Kennedy (22%)

MID (currently): Cripps (99%), Walsh (99%), Setterfield (97%), Murphy (96%), Curnow (96%), Fisher (69%), Newnes (33%), Gibbons (28%)

RUCK (assumed): Kreuzer, Casboult

(KEY: on field, bench, emergency)

As it stands:

FB: Lachie Plowman (97%), Liam Jones (99%), Kade Simpson (78%)
HB: Sam Docherty (97%), Jacob Weitering (99%), Caleb Marchbank (74%)

FOL: Matthew Kreuzer*, Ed Curnow (96%), Marc Murphy (96%)
C: Sam Walsh (99%), Patrick Cripps (99%), Will Setterfield (97%)

HF: Mitch McGovern (96%), Harry McKay (99%), Jack Martin (94%)
FF: Eddie Betts (98%), Charlie Curnow (97%), David Cuningham (80%)

INT: Sam Petrevski-Seton (63%), Jack Silvagni (53%), Zac Fisher (69%), Jack Newnes (33%)

EMG: Nic Newman (61%), Matthew Kennedy (22%), Michael Gibbons (28%), Levi Casboult*

Honourable mentions: Tom Williamson (DEF 25%), Paddy Dow (MID 27%), Lachie O'Brien (MID 21%)

On field changes from last years Consensus 22:
IN: Docherty, Cuningham, Silvagni, Martin, Betts, Newnes
OUT: Newman, Dow, Kennedy, Fasolo, Pickett, Williamson

Benaly28

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Wings-Newnes,Setterfield,LOB,Williamson
Mids-Cripps,Murphy,Curnow,Dow,Fisher,Walsh,Stocker
Fwd,Mids
Jsos,Kennedy,Cunners,Gibbons,

Not taking into account who we just drafted.Hooefully haven’t missed anyone.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
We could vote for ruck (MK) and ruck emergency? The other emergency spots are set (or will be very shortly).

FWIW...

Fisher was the voted the forward emergency but as he has made the midfield line Kennedy is promoted to take his place. Pretty safe to assume Kreuz gets the ruck gig and considering Levi has had 25 votes across the fwd & def lines he probably gets the emg ruck spot.

I wouldn't mind letting the mid poll run for just a little bit more, it'd be nice to have all 3 polls get to 150 votes for consistency. There's also a bee's **** in it between Gibbons & Dow for the emergency spot and not much more between Gibbo & Newnes.

DEF: Weitering (99%), Jones (99%), Docherty (97%), Plowman (89%), Simpson (78%), Marchbank (74%), Petrevski-Seton (63%), Newman (61%)

FWD: McKay (99%), Betts (98%), Curnow (97%), McGovern (96%), Martin (94%), Cuningham (80%), Silvagni (53%), Fisher (26%), Kennedy (22%)

MID (currently): Cripps (99%), Walsh (99%), Setterfield (97%), Murphy (96%), Curnow (96%), Fisher (69%), Newnes (33%), Gibbons (28%)

RUCK (assumed): Kreuzer, Casboult

(KEY: on field, bench, emergency)

As it stands:

FB: Lachie Plowman (97%), Liam Jones (99%), Kade Simpson (78%)
HB: Sam Docherty (97%), Jacob Weitering (99%), Caleb Marchbank (74%)

FOL: Matthew Kreuzer*, Ed Curnow (96%), Marc Murphy (96%)
C: Sam Walsh (99%), Patrick Cripps (99%), Will Setterfield (97%)

HF: Mitch McGovern (96%), Harry McKay (99%), Jack Martin (94%)
FF: Eddie Betts (98%), Charlie Curnow (97%), David Cuningham (80%)

INT: Sam Petrevski-Seton (63%), Jack Silvagni (53%), Zac Fisher (69%), Jack Newnes (33%)

EMG: Nic Newman (61%), Matthew Kennedy (22%), Michael Gibbons (28%), Levi Casboult*

Honourable mentions: Tom Williamson (DEF 25%), Paddy Dow (MID 27%), Lachie O'Brien (MID 21%)

On field changes from last years Consensus 22:
IN: Docherty, Cuningham, Silvagni, Martin, Betts, Newnes
OUT: Newman, Dow, Kennedy, Fasolo, Pickett, Williamson
Newnes 33% gets him in the side but Newman on 61% sits out - unlucky!

Williamson, Dow and O'brien are 3 pretty decent players to be 27, 28 & 29 in the pecking order!!

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I think Simpson, SPS, Newman, Docherty, Williamson, Newman and Newnes may well all play. I think we'll be rotating our wings and smaller defenders fairly regularly and really trying to generate some run from behind. Some players who have been predominantly defenders I can see spending time on the wing, particularly as defensive wingmen. Expect these guys to rotate together a lot and that group could also include O'Brien, Setterfield, Walsh and Gibbons.

We could pick a side that is a little more complex than 7 backs, 8 mids and 7 forwards. Could be more like 3 tall defenders, 6 or 7 wing/rebounding defenders etc. We could go with all sorts of structures really.

Finding the balance between running creative types who can play wing and back half and generate run and quick ball movement for us and having enough talls to kill and mark the ball effectively in defence will be the key.

I think the pressure is on Marchbank and Plowman. Question will be asked in regards to how well they can play as defenders who can lock down and intercept but also how well they can play an offensive running game. Tough decision here as Plowman is probably a better defender and better kick whereas Marchbank is a better athlete and intercepter. Marchbank could probably end up competing with the first group as he is a top runner but he's really going to have to get fit and be in good form and IMO that is how he gets a game.

Love the competition for spots this season. Most are having a good preseason and hitting a good age for maturity. Going to be a lot riding on the preseason games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Newnes 33% gets him in the side but Newman on 61% sits out - unlucky!

Williamson, Dow and O'brien are 3 pretty decent players to be 27, 28 & 29 in the pecking order!!

It is stiff, but we always knew there would be a few unlucky names. In reality we know that Newman will likely play 15+ games, similar to Gibbo and maybe even Levi.

You've got to look at the players in the positional groupings too; the top 8 backline players (including Newman) gathered 95% of the total individual player votes, the top 8 forwards collected 96% while the midfield group only got 89%. Doesn't seem like much of a change but it does add up.

There was 8 significant defenders who polled plus Willo who did ok while the other lines were less clear cut towards the middle and had more compettion for the 2nd bench & emergency spot.

Look, i can live with northerns starting midfield being Stocker Dow and Philp haha

C: Cottrell - Stocker - O'Brien
R: Pittonet/TDK - Dow - Gibbons

Not a bad starting point for the Northern Blues, with a support cast rotating through.

Feb 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Celtics, AC Milan
Yep, what's making me most excited about this team is the list of players that aren't going to make the 22. We finally have some depth! (do we say that every year? :) )

This year honestly feels different, specifically over the past few years we've had depth listed as players that either have been too young (O'brien types etc) or not good enough (Kerridge and Graham anyone?)

I've got Levi in my 22 as the back up ruck - otherwise I agree with the majority of everyone else.

Right now my depth from the remaining list has the following players in it:

Newman - good enough to play seniors
Dow - has played enough seniors already
O'brien - as per above
JSOS - as per above
Gibbons - will be working that hard that guys in the team better hope they keep playing well enough as he is good enough to play seniors every day of the week
Williamson - if he gets his body right we already know he has what it takes
Stocker - given body size and skill level has enough quality to contribute meaningfully at AFL level next year
Kennedy - 3rd tall performance in the back half of the year anyone??

That's 8 players not in my 22 that i'd be happy to have in the team most weeks because we know they can contribute and play - Generally apart from some bad kicking from Paddy Dow and some pace issues with a few of them the above mentioned players are generally going to be able to hold their own strength wise and the brain farts are kept to a minimum (a Graham and a Kerridge is not amongst this list)

This time it is different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back