Member Online Forum 9th Dec 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

According to who?

Because as per the response during the member forum, the list management sub-committee, of which SOS was a member, agreed that it would make sense for Liddle to leverage his existing relationship with Ellis and bring him across for a tour and a chat.

Unless you have something definitive that didn't come from Facebook, Twitter or the HUN, I'm not sure you've got a leg to stand on.

Spot on. We've heard the facts from someone in the meetings compared to unsubstantiated rumours.

Last edited:

Let’s not twist it ODN

— Liddle said his meeting with then-free agent Brandon Ellis, who he knew from his days at the Calder Cannons and Richmond, was widely known by Silvagni and the list management team, adding: “ … it was agreed that we would leverage that relationship in our discussions with Brandon.”

So I now assume you aren’t happy with Betts being back at the club?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ve never quite accepted the ‘fact’ that Liddell approached Ellis literally without SOS having any knowledge. It just doesn’t add up.

Liddle might not be the best administrator but can’t believe he be that loose to bring in and tour Ellis without SOS and the list management team having no knowledge

They may not have wanted Ellis but surely they’d be happy to have kept their options open given he was a free agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good on the club for fronting up

I work for a council and have to be involved in similar forums.

I find 20% of people expressing concerns are valid thought-out and helpful/useful while 80% are unhappy people that just want to yell at someone who has to remain professional in response.

Regardless you're often on a hiding to nothing in these things and often feel the very people you are working so hard to serve often just s**t on you.

So respect to the club for doing it.

That said, I'd like to s**t on MLo and Liddle

Liddle, doing an excellent job as CEO but gives off the persona of an evil villain only out to further his own career, hopefully our long term success is not hindered by quick short term gains for Liddle to use as a stepping stone.

MLo, I guess you're doing everything right but get some public speaking lessons, I want to be inspired by your speeches and get excited about the club, not hear you thank sponsors on a continuous loop.

I find 20% of people expressing concerns are valid thought-out and helpful/useful while 80% are unhappy people that just want to yell at someone who has to remain professional in response.

Regardless you're often on a hiding to nothing in these things and often feel the very people you are working so hard to serve often just s**t on you.

Liddle, doing an excellent job as CEO but gives off the persona of an evil villain only out to further his own career, hopefully our long term success is not hindered by quick short term gains for Liddle to use as a stepping stone.

MLo, I guess you're doing everything right but get some public speaking lessons, I want to be inspired by your speeches and get excited about the club, not hear you thank sponsors on a continuous loop.
I'm hoping that you are speaking figuratively and not literally!!

Read the first page of thread.
Looks like I did not miss much.
Only thing of interest that looked to have come out of it was answered a question of how much in debt we are.
$4 million, not good but hopefully clear it in 3 or 4 years.
How big was it at one point? I've lost track. We seem to have been in debt for a good two decades for the stupid Legends stand followed up by Elliott's a salary cap massive fine on his watch, not long after. Would love to arrive at a day where feel we fully recovered. It is about first time I feel our list has strong foundations going forward. Off field, still got lots to do to become a power club again but incrementally it is getting better. I want a real homeground again but might have to wait to we are well and truly out of debt to even start to dream again of a real homeground.

What 'leverage' did Carlton need to tour a B grader with a high sense of self worth to come to have a look at Carlton? What a load of CROCK. yeah as if the whole of the AFL world was desperate to get Ellis..and yet the best he could do is where - remind me again?

Good post - was thinking this myself. I've been involved in running footy clubs and other sporting groups and know well the 'all care - no responsibility' type supporter that wants to lecture you on how things should be being run without the inside knowledge of strategy and finances etc (the number of times you have to hold back on saying 'well come in and run it yourself' !!)

At a club like Carlton a general forum in person would have just degenerated into a farce with a bunch of people trying big note themselves.

What 'leverage' did Carlton need to tour a B grader with a high sense of self worth to come to have a look at Carlton? What a load of CROCK. yeah as if the whole of the AFL world was desperate to get Ellis..and yet the best he could do is where - remind me again?

Makes perfect sense that if you're going to meet with a player and give him a look around the club, that someone who he's familiar with will help make him feel welcome. Molehill =/= Mountain.

Read the first page of thread.
Looks like I did not miss much.
Only thing of interest that looked to have come out of it was answered a question of how much in debt we are.
How big was it at one point? I've lost track. We seem to have been in debt for a good two decades for the stupid Legends stand followed up by Elliott's a salary cap massive fine on his watch, not long after. Would love to arrive at a day where feel we fully recovered. It is about first time I feel our list has strong foundations going forward. Off field, still got lots to do to become a power club again but incrementally it is getting better. I want a real homeground again but might have to wait to we are well and truly out of debt to even start to dream again of a real homeground.

They knocked $2.4mil off this season alone, and I think I read somewhere that we haven't been debt-free since the mid 90s. Plan is to clear it by the end of 2021, so two more strong seasons and we're back in the black.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The subcommittee in itself is not an issue. What is an issue is the membership and influence of those on the committee effectively undermining the authority of the person employed and paid to perform the duties to which the subcommittee effectively ruled.

That the coach could be brought in where required - like in the DeLuca and Betts scenarios - to create further skewing of the numbers is not supportive practice.

that the CEO confirmed last night his own significant conflict in regard to Ellis but used a conflict as the reason to move SoS on is ironic at best .... more likely a sign that indeed the conflict was the least of the issues.

If it played out the way Liddle said it did, it makes for perfect sense.
Liddle had known Ellis for some time and maybe the intent was to soften him up and bit before letting SOS loose with contract negotiations.

If Liddle lied, then it's a bad thing whatever the truth may be, but if all agreed then it makes for good business.

Makes perfect sense that if you're going to meet with a player and give him a look around the club, that someone who he's familiar with will help make him feel welcome. Molehill =/= Mountain.

Clearly Liddle misled Ellis then - otherwise why all the angst about being 'rejected'? Is Liddle one of those compulsive fibbers - or was it Lloyd or was it Agresta or was it Judd that fibbed to Ellis? Which one of these camel making com members misled Ellis exactly?

see where the committee BS gets ya?

If it played out the way Liddle said it did, it makes for perfect sense.
Liddle had known Ellis for some time and maybe the intent was to soften him up and bit before letting SOS loose with contract negotiations.

If Liddle lied, then it's a bad thing whatever the truth may be, but if all agreed then it makes for good business.

Oh so Liddle wanted to be the good guy to SOS's bad guy - yeah - that works in B grade TV cop show Harks - why not at carlton - what a novel negotiating strategy :straining:

Clearly Liddle misled Ellis then - otherwise why all the angst about being 'rejected'? Is Liddle one of those compulsive fibbers - or was it Lloyd or was it Agresta or was it Judd that fibbed to Ellis? Which one of these camel making com members misled Ellis exactly?

see where the committee BS gets ya?

Or maybe Ellis did what many people would do, and assumed that if a prospective employer reached out to him and said "do you want to come over for a coffee and a tour of the office" that said prospective employer was indicating they were keen to employ him.

Or maybe Ellis did what many people would do, and assumed that if a prospective employer reached out to him and said "do you want to come over for a coffee and a tour of the office" that said prospective employer was indicating they were keen to employ him.

so Ellis was stupid and ordinary and yet Liddle still fancied him in Blue? LOL

too easy tying your apologetics up in knots using your own hopes and assumptions as the rope...

They knocked $2.4mil off this season alone, and I think I read somewhere that we haven't been debt-free since the mid 90s. Plan is to clear it by the end of 2021, so two more strong seasons and we're back in the black.
I am half way through reading a transcript of last night on the club website. I see a part where it said the aim is to be debt free in 2023. I think they mention an aim to try to do it earlier of 2021 The sooner the better, and yes , given the stupid Legends stand was being built in mid-90's it fits in with the thought we not been debt free since that was being constructed.

I am half way through reading a transcript of last night on the club website. I see a part where it said the aim is to be debt free in 2023. I think the mention an aim to try to do it earlier of 2021 The sooner the better, and yes ,given the stupid Legends stand was being built in mid-90's it fits in with the thought he not been debut free since that was being constructed.

What makes you think that the legends stand has anything to do with debt levels ?

Debt is just a financing option -0 teh CLub has used it because it has recourse to only 'loans' from the AFL OR debt from other lenders to finance its activities. Probably the biggest use of debt was to purchase the pokies from mathieson or more correctly take on the debt obligations that this business had on it...

How big was it at one point? I've lost track.

It was at $10M for a while, so may well have been more than that.
I think they were planning to knock 1 off this year, but we're doing better than expected so paid 2.4

were any questions about our club moving away from pokie revenues fielded last night? or was that a no-go area because of Bruce Matthieson?
There was.

They didn't directly say that they're planning on reducing the pokies, however they did say that with the growth of the non-traditional revenue streams - most notable the many business ventures by the club - that the dependence on the pokies is reducing every year.

My take away from the answer was that they're looking at ways to bring in revenue outside of that - and maybe this is just me - but if those continue to be successful then with the reduced dependency on pokies they may start to reduce them. It's still early days with all the business stuff going on so they'll want that to settle a bit more before making big changes I'd suggest.

Last edited:
The only decision that "may" have been overridden may have been the Eddie one. But nearly everyone seemed happy with that one here. Teague, Lloyd and Liddle pushed for that one it seems.

Regarding the Ellis one, the ITK's, who seem to be in the SOS camp, have said Ellis was considered and then rejected when he came back wanting more money. And that rejection was left to stand.

To me the vibe wasn't/isn't about taking away a List boss's authority, but more about having a List Boss including others views, or at least in the loop.

SOS wasn't inclusive. While that was fine for the first 4 or so years when we needed his strength of personality and stubbornness to see the rebuild journey, it couldn't continue obviously. You can't be dismissive of the other major stakeholders in the club.

I'll add that it is my supposition, but i strongly feel it, that SOS hasn't given the CEO, Footy boss and LM the time of day since they started. He wanted Lethlean, he hates the Lloyd's and he and Agresta have always seemed distant.

To me, for SOS's POV, it was him, Brodie and the other overweight amigo recruiter, and everyone else was a nuisanse.

We all admire and envy that hardarse lonewolf quality a bit, but it is pretty insulting to others and ultimately a bit self destructive.

SOS was great, is a great, but this is no surprise. It's been coming and he unsurprisingly decided to leave messily. That's him. The good and the bad. The full SOS.

What a legend, what a hard piece of work to work with, what an exciting time him and others have left us the next 8 years after the basketcase we were.

Beautifully said.
I have no insight re the inner workings of the club, but the scenario you refer to here is one I could totally see occurring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back