Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

my understanding is that the bones (marrow mostly) and surrounding connective tissue contain a bunch of really good nutrients and that slow cooking helps extract them.

that still leaves as many unanswered questions as it does answered ones.

fair enough, but this is a long way away from saying its only health benefit is that its better than having soft drink.

my understanding is that the bones (marrow mostly) and surrounding connective tissue contain a bunch of really good nutrients and that slow cooking helps extract them.
Its the collagen in the marrow that gets people excited, but dietary collagen isnt absorbed as such, its broken down into amino and no different to gaving a protien shake.

Players are most likely avoiding protein powders to remove the risk of inducing contaminated products that may have banned substances
The reason given was different - too much bulk too fast stunts development (agility & leap most likely). Interview with Bevo/English talks about eating muesli and yoghurt hourly to try and put on weight 'the right way'.
I can't imagine it would be too different anyway - I don't take supps if I work out on the weekend and have time to just cook afterwards.

Its the collagen in the marrow that gets people excited, but dietary collagen isnt absorbed as such, its broken down into amino and no different to gaving a protien shake.
I have knee tendonitis so read literature on bone broth - some studies showed marginal impact that is probably not worth the effort unless you're a pro-athlete.
There are more studies on the benefits of collagen on skin elasticity than there are tendon health (as you'd expect, beauty industry = dollars).

The reason given was different - too much bulk too fast stunts development (agility & leap most likely). Interview with Bevo/English talks about eating muesli and yoghurt hourly to try and put on weight 'the right way'.
I can't imagine it would be too different anyway - I don't take supps if I work out on the weekend and have time to just cook afterwards.

What the hell is the right way.......surely muesli and yoghurt is more calorie dense than a protein shake if they are worried about overall calorie intake.

Bulking to fast stunts development? more like getting to fat restricts your agility.

What the hell is the right way.......surely muesli and yoghurt is more calorie dense than a protein shake if they are worried about overall calorie intake.

Bulking to fast stunts development? more like getting to fat restricts your agility.

yeah you’d hate to gain more lean muscle mass an as athlete 😂

yeah you’d hate to gain more lean muscle mass an as athlete 😂
Kieran Collins an example of too much as a footballer.
Hodge dropped weight to prolong his career.

Kieran Collins an example of too much as a footballer.
Hodge dropped weight to prolong his career.

obviously there’s an optimal for everyone, but how much of what Hodge dropped was fat and how much was muscle?

obviously there’s an optimal for everyone, but how much of what Hodge dropped was fat and how much was muscle?
He wasn't a developing player so I'd like to think his skinfolds were decent.

"(Simpson) said once you get to 30 … it helped him if he dropped a kilo every year," Hodge recalled.

"And I thought 28 was close enough and coming off a knee injury I thought I better start then. So I went from about 91kg or 92kg down to about the 87kg I play at now.

'Optimal' seems to change based on position too - Jordan Roughead dropped a few kgs when he went to Collingwood as he was playing KPD and not ruck. I assume that means if he switched back into ruck he'd add a couple of kilos.

Robbie Flower was bulit like a twig, but a very very good footballer......Lachie Whitfield has a similar build these days.

To be honest these days footballers physiques aren't great for athletes, in general they are kind of skinny fat. The modern game is all about running, carrying excess muscle is useless. This tends to lead players to having smaller chests/backs/arms, thick legs and due to the high training loads they aren't going to be dieting down to super low levels of body fat - nor is that beneficial for contact sport (Dale Thomas in his prime had this build, played on a wing and was a running machine). A club would prefer a sub 6:30 2km over a bloke that could bench 120kg for reps.

Robbie Flower was bulit like a twig, but a very very good footballer......Lachie Whitfield has a similar build these days.

To be honest these days footballers physiques aren't great for athletes, in general they are kind of skinny fat. The modern game is all about running, carrying excess muscle is useless. This tends to lead players to having smaller chests/backs/arms, thick legs and due to the high training loads they aren't going to be dieting down to super low levels of body fat - nor is that beneficial for contact sport (Dale Thomas in his prime had this build, played on a wing and was a running machine). A club would prefer a sub 6:30 2km over a bloke that could bench 120kg for reps.
I've been to a fair few Lions training sessions this off season and most of them have their shirts off at some stage during the session apart from their GPS/heart rate monitor bikini top. The type of body the vast majority of them have is the one I would have liked to have had, very toned, muscular and proportioned.

I am skinny as a rake at 185 cm and 70kg, never been a fan of the overly muscular body builder type look, each to their own though.

1576190731146.png

All true. Even the running machines tend to do a fair bit of lower body work though. Ryan Griffen in his playing days was a running machine but could squat 200kg for 8 reps.
Some clubs train predominantly single leg movements, and a few years ago North had their players doing almost entirely bodyweight work and on field work with not much gym work (may have changed now though). Their core training sessions were brutal.

FWIW Brisbane Lions are widely considered to be the top fitness and conditioning staff in the AFL and someone I know in AFL circles was talking about their 'scripting'. The way they talk to players during rehab and conditioning is a huge focus there. I found that interesting because I know an ex-ambo who wrote the scripting for Vic paramedics, how to speak around patients. The mental side of training and rehab is hugely important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eggs.

Nothing new to add, but they get a bad rap (unfairly). My go to cheap, easy protein. Takes 2 minutes to whip up an omelette.

Running a pretty huge calorie deficit at the moment, not finding it too difficult either. Performance has been pretty good for the most part too. Ripped 3 180kg deadlift singles this morning.

7eb67cfa54c9fc05b046bbe0868ec752.jpg

1647a2095f3cc0dabe2ad67b463ef6e1.jpg

Running a pretty huge calorie deficit at the moment, not finding it too difficult either. Performance has been pretty good for the most part too. Ripped 3 180kg deadlift singles this morning.

7eb67cfa54c9fc05b046bbe0868ec752.jpg

1647a2095f3cc0dabe2ad67b463ef6e1.jpg

Initially you will be OK, then once you continue to drop your calories further, its when you can experience a decrease in strength. This is normal and to be expected.

Initially you will be OK, then once you continue to drop your calories further, its when you can experience a decrease in strength. This is normal and to be expected.
Yeah, we'll see how I go. I don't have much room to drop calories any further so I will probably have to cycle calories back to maintenance for a week (once weight loss plateaus) before going back into a deficit again.

Yeah, we'll see how I go. I don't have much room to drop calories any further so I will probably have to cycle calories back to maintenance for a week (once weight loss plateaus) before going back into a deficit again.

Im no expert, but from what I have seen and read, it is undulating your calorie intake is the best way to lose weight so that your body does not adapt to the consistent caloric deficit as the new norm.

Ran across this on my brainwashing youtube recommendations algorithm... never knew that Novak Djokovic was a vegan(not for me but whatever works for you is good), an interesting 5 minute chat with links to the full video.
Tennis great Novak Djokovic was struggling with his health and at a low point in his career when Dr. Igor Cetojevic saw him playing in the 2010 Australian Open. Cetojevic reached out to Djokovic’s parents and offered to work with the athlete. Djokovic was introduced to biofeedback and quantum physics. They adjusted his diet, removing gluten, sugar and dairy. Djokovic said he felt immediate relief. Plus, Djokovic talks about his strict, clean diet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back