Bestbird

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Because they didn't accept the deal or considering other deals they signed off on?

This from a club that delisted the likes of a Lyons

Anyway, Martin in the end was a free hit, just like Lyon, GC have no idea about value of a player

Not sure a complete free hit given the contract length of 5 Years for a player who has been very inconsistant

Not sure a complete free hit given the contract length of 5 Years for a player who has been very inconsistant

There's rarely a thing such as a free hit but Martin @ 600K over 5 years makes for a better fit for the CFC than Ellis on the same money and tenure.
Having said that though, Ellis may be better for Gold Coast than Martin was.

I'm quite happy for what Martin will offer us, given his talent and given the lack of players of his type we have on the books.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's rarely a thing such as a free hit but Martin @ 600K over 5 years makes for a better fit for the CFC than Ellis on the same money and tenure.

I'm quite happy for what Martin will offer us, given his talent and given the lack of players of his type we have on the books.
Did Martin really get five years? I like him but wow that's a long contract for someone who is still trying to figure out their AFL game.

Joey longshadow

Hostis Humani Generis
Oct 23, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore ravens
I'd suggest you have actually zero idea of what constitutes a fact...

Why is this so important to Richmond posters?
Why is it so important to Carlton supporters? From Thompson Dow himself.. Richmond officials drove up to swan hill to interview him about our interest in drafting him... Philip hasn't said anything about us interviewing him... Really is rather pathetic the straws you are grasping at to "get one over us " as you see it... Though I suppose you've gotta grab onto something ...you sure as hell haven't been able to do it on the field in recent memory

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Why is it so important to Carlton supporters? From Thompson Dow himself.. Richmond officials drove up to swan hill to interview him about our interest in drafting him... Philip hasn't said anything about us interviewing him... Really is rather pathetic the straws you are grasping at to "get one over us " as you see it... Though I suppose you've gotta grab onto something ...you sure as hell haven't been able to do it on the field in recent memory
Yep, Richmond recruiters acknowledged they were nervous when Carlton traded up to the pick before us. Thought they would pick up Dow to play alongside his brother.

I guess every situation gets reduced to this fact when one is the premier.....and good on you for being so, but it doesn't discount every other situation thereafter, unless beating ones chest at every call is the objective......and it seems to be yours.

I think we are going to be on a winner with Deven Robertson, I've been to multiple training sessions and he is showing great qualities. IMO he'll be seen as a steal at pick 22 in years to come.

Philp has looked OK to me too but only after one session.
Exactly how many of these 'multiple sessions' have you been to?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I guess every situation gets reduced to this fact when one is the premier.....and good on you for being so, but it doesn't discount every other situation thereafter, unless beating ones chest at every call is the objective......and it seems to be yours.

Philp has looked OK to me too but only after one session.
Exactly how many of these 'multiple sessions' have you been to?
5, Deven has been good but the real standout from our draftees has been Keidean Coleman, he had a great NEAFL season this year and he has been just sublime on the track. I went to a session this afternoon and he was pitted against Callum Ah Chee in 1 on 1 marking contests and got the better of him in every contest. Would not surprise me if he got an early debut. It will probably be harder for Deven as we are pretty well stocked for 1st 22 inside mids ie. Neale, Berry, Lyons and Ellis-Yolmen coming in via trade.

5, Deven has been good but the real standout from our draftees has been Keidean Coleman, he had a great NEAFL season this year and he has been just sublime on the track. I went to a session this afternoon and he was pitted against Callum Ah Chee in 1 on 1 marking contests and got the better of him in every contest. Would not surprise me if he got an early debut. It will probably be harder for Deven as we are pretty well stocked for 1st 22 inside mids ie. Neale, Berry, Lyons and Ellis-Yolmen coming in via trade.

5 sessions out of a possible 8 where Robertson could have been involved? Are you a trainer? :)

I went to one today (yesterday now) also.
Philp looks ready made whereas the other lads just don't, especially Phillps who looks about 12.

EDIT: We should have one of those 'How are they going' threads for the newbies

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
5 sessions out of a possible 8 where Robertson could have been involved? Are you a trainer? :)

Philp looks ready made whereas the other lads just don't, especially Phillps who looks about 12.

Well I’ve been to three of those training sessions as well. Sat next to Jason at two. And there’s another Lions BF poster who’s at them all. And another who goes regularly and takes his DSLR and posts the photos on our forum.

There about a dozen regulars to training who are retirees. And me. But I’m a stay at home dad and take my daughter down as one our regular afternoons out.

Robertson has stood out as fitting in seamlessly, and showing leadership amongst the other draftees.

Coleman is just silky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Interested in what you think of Philps kicking, as there were genuine discussions that he’s a worse kick than Deven Robertson.

Interested in what you think of Philps kicking, as there were genuine discussions that he’s a worse kick than Deven Robertson.

The full ground drills were pretty open yesterday, so there wasn't much to be seen from players with the ball, given they had plenty of time to dispose of it.
I'll put it forward after more viewing.

Philp did make up a lot of ground to take an intercept mark in the centre of the ground, that brought plaudits from the coaches.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
You didn't need to justify yourself, but that is a crazy amount of sessions to be getting to.
I guess there's more to look at, when a club is on the rise.
I wasn’t justifying myself. I was backing up Jason mp.

Some of us are just fortunate to have a lifestyle that affords us the time to indulge in one of our passions.

Tell you what though, getting down to training and watching the boys in person, talking to people in real life, and listening to the “old timers” talking about playing in their day, beats the hell out of BF any day.

I wasn’t justifying myself. I was backing up Jason mp.

Some of us are just fortunate to have a lifestyle that affords us the time to indulge in one of our passions.

Tell you what though, getting down to training and watching the boys in person, talking to people in real life, and listening to the “old timers” talking about playing in their day, beats the hell out of BF any day.

Different guy. My apologies.

I hear you about going to training. One can make their own assessment on players than to be force fed as to what's going on around the club. Big difference.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

Nah, I'm just one of those baby boomer :oldman: :cool: early retirees so a fair bit of spare time on my hands and I only live 400 meters from where we train.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Probably says more about Cal Ah Chee lol

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Yeah, I haven’t wanted to say that out loud yet. Ah Chee certainly hasn’t impressed me at all, at the 3 training sessions I’ve been to. I’ve been somewhat underwhelmed.
He is super talented but he is wildly inconsistent and needs to get a hard edge to him.

I was pissed that he left but I do want to see him become a great player for you.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think you're right. Martin is a win for Carlton, despite the contract length and $.

Ellis, although not as good a player IMO, will be better for GC with his experience and coming from a winning culture. Hopefully he can instill some expectation of winning into the group

Back