Free Agency Brad Crouch [joins St Kilda as a RFA for pick 23]

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We'll go a 6 pack.
Make it over 4.5 wins better then so that one of us wins.

People are going to be very surprised at AFC this year.
We lost 1 player from our top 10 B+F and he is replaced by someone who is actually a better player (Doedee)

Its hilarious that everyone overrated us in 2019 and now going to severely underrate us in 2020.
Ok dude, you are mostly likely right here but come on, you end up with a 6 pack of red tins.

At least but a good beer on the table ;)

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
yeah 1 of those picks might be up for grabs but im anticipating if he goes it would be for free with an offer noone can match
I doubt it - the Crows have freed up a LOT of cap space this year. The question would be if they want to match it

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If he is offered a mil a year and Crows match i will laugh
On the other hand if the offer is 600-800 and they don't match i will be shocked
Would you laugh at the team that offers him a mil too?

He's already on the 600-800mark

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes i would he is a 600-800 player
As with all players, it ll depends on the team he is in and who else is in the salary cap.

He'd get more than 800 at esendon but less than that at Collingwood

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I doubt it - the Crows have freed up a LOT of cap space this year. The question would be if they want to match it
Come on make him a million a year player. Show them who got the money, Adelaide or North. With Rankine, Ben King, Lukosius getting big money next year, I don't think GCS can afford to paid him much.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
If he is offered a mil a year and Crows match i will laugh
On the other hand if the offer is 600-800 and they don't match i will be shocked

I’d pay $800k easily. Problem will be the 5 years that he’ll be offered. I’d be comfortable with 3 and 2 x trigger years, but kid’s gotta look after himself and he’s had his fair share of bad luck and Brett Burton injury management.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
The only club that should be paying him over 800k is GC Suns and i love Crouch but he isn't worth more than that

To be fair, Crouch is better than your run of the mil midfielder. Similar to Luke Shuey who has only recently (last 2 - 3 years) gotten the kudo's he deserves. If he (Shuey) were in the Eastern states, he'd be spoken about as top 10 in the comp good. Crouch, albeit 4 years younger, has a similar trajectory imho.

I fully expect Crouch to step it up in the next 2 - 3 years. He is much better than most are giving him credit for here. Sometimes you need to overpay for guys and Crouch is a guy you would over pay for to get.

Mar 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
To be fair, Crouch is better than your run of the mil midfielder. Similar to Luke Shuey who has only recently (last 2 - 3 years) gotten the kudo's he deserves. If he (Shuey) were in the Eastern states, he'd be spoken about as top 10 in the comp good. Crouch, albeit 4 years younger, has a similar trajectory imho.

I fully expect Crouch to step it up in the next 2 - 3 years. He is much better than most are giving him credit for here. Sometimes you need to overpay for guys and Crouch is a guy you would over pay for to get.
True he my become worth more than 800k but right now he isn't, i leave that for Dusty/Danger/Fyfe/Cripps etc who are clearly worth it and if the rumours are true he wants out why over pay someone when they will jump at 750k more than likely.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Depending on where they finish next year, Bcrouch's FA compo could possibly be a lot more valuable for the Crows long term future than if he re-signs for 5 year.

If Adelaide finish around bottom 6 next season, as a few like me think they will, they would be much better off letting him and getting the FA Compo, likely to be band 1 (given his reputation and how much money he would get elsewhere)

Unfortunately, I think the Crows have been (politically) railroaded into a position where they have to re-sign him, even if they finish bottom 4 in 2020.(although I do think I am probably underselling the Crows youth short hardly seen them play due to stubborn Don, that Jones lad looked very promising in their final game against the Dogs in Ballarat)

Nicks needs to take a total opposite approach and start giving their kids quality and consistent game time, even at the expense of wins, and if those kids really show something, they might as well re-signs B Crouch.

Things at The Crows may not be as dire as most think, PROVIDED the board and new off-field regime let Nicks coach his own way and encourage him to play the kids.

They seem to have done a pretty ruthless job kicking out the boys club clique at the AFC, especially Big Bird (Burton).

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Depending on where they finish next year, Bcrouch's FA compo could possibly be a lot more valuable for the Crows long term future than if he re-signs for 5 year.

If Adelaide finish around bottom 6 next season, as a few like me think they will, they would be much better off letting him and getting the FA Compo, likely to be band 1 (given his reputation and how much money he would get elsewhere)

Unfortunately, I think the Crows have been (politically) railroaded into a position where they have to re-sign him, even if they finish bottom 4 in 2020.(although I do think I am probably underselling the Crows youth short hardly seen them play due to stubborn Don, that Jones lad looked very promising in their final game against the Dogs in Ballarat)

Nicks needs to take a total opposite approach and start giving their kids quality and consistent game time, even at the expense of wins, and if those kids really show something, they might as well re-signs B Crouch.

Things at The Crows may not be as dire as most think, PROVIDED the board and new off-field regime let Nicks coach his own way and encourage him to play the kids.

They seem to have done a pretty ruthless job kicking out the boys club clique at the AFC, especially Big Bird (Burton).

Um...no.
Sorry we know what Brad Crouch offers.
I don't care if its a top 5 pick, I'll take the gun I know over the potential gun I dont.

It would be laughed off if we said the same thing about Patrick Cripps.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Comparing Cripps to Crouch, my word.

You’ll take the top 5 pick and run.
Not saying Crouch is as good as Cripps but hes our best all round midfielder.
Giving him up to take a compensation pick is bad bad business. Almost SOS-like

Its more of a case that at least if he decides to leave, yes we will likely get a very good compensation pick which is at least some consolation.

Mar 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Not saying Crouch is as good as Cripps but hes our best all round midfielder.
Giving him up to take a compensation pick is bad bad business. Almost SOS-like

Its more of a case that at least if he decides to leave, yes we will likely get a very good compensation pick which is at least some consolation.
If he is offered a contract that gets you a top 10 or even top 5 pick you will take it and run. if you don't i would be surprised to see the other club back out and you being stuck with a player who doesn't want to be there.
You won't get 2 firsts for a player that hasn't proved to be worth that unless they are late picks e.g 16 and 18 in which case you would prefer the single high pick like say 5-10.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
If he is offered a contract that gets you a top 10 or even top 5 pick you will take it and run. if you don't i would be surprised to see the other club back out and you being stuck with a player who doesn't want to be there.
You won't get 2 firsts for a player that hasn't proved to be worth that unless they are late picks e.g 16 and 18 in which case you would prefer the single high pick like say 5-10.
Assuming we finish in the bottom 5 then we would almost be guaranteed a top 5 pick.

He is worth more than that on the open market.

Hes worth even more again to AFC.

Yeh I get that "if he doesnt want to be there" its a good result.
Except anyone with half a clue knows he loves the club and wants to stay.
Does that mean contract negotiations will work...not necessarily.

Mar 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Assuming we finish in the bottom 5 then we would almost be guaranteed a top 5 pick.

He is worth more than that on the open market.

Hes worth even more again to AFC.

Yeh I get that "if he doesnt want to be there" its a good result.
Except anyone with half a clue knows he loves the club and wants to stay.
Does that mean contract negotiations will work...not necessarily.
Now way is he worth more than a top 5 pick maybe somewhere around 5-10 by itself if you managed to get more than that you would be laughing all the way to the bank.

For example if Geelong traded for him next year the best you would get would be our pick 11 by itself nothing more than that.

He is good but he isn't top 10 mid in the comp hell he would be lucky to be top 20 mid.

And by the way i love Brad i even had him in my fantasy team last year.

Back