2020 VFL season - standalone focus only

Bessa

Cancelled
Feb 26, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Will be interesting to see how the club's work with the new list rules impacting the comp in 2020. Each week, every team will pick 23 players but 1 of of those 23 has to be the "23rd man" meaning that they're under 21 years of age and played less than 10 games of VFL in their career. They also have to now pick a 19 year old that is either aligned to a NAB League team in 2020 as a 19 year old or is a 2019 NAB League graduate.....if you're a VFL player aligned to an AFL team good luck getting a game if you don't meet this criteria.

Created this thread for the followers of standalone's only as we deserve a thread without AFL influence.

New VFL standalone player signings for season 2020?

Coburg - Silvestro and Ballard (Both from Richmond VFL), Baddeley-Kelly (Williamstown/North Heidelberg), Clarke (Western Jets) Anyone else? Not bad so far from the Burgers. The positive is that they haven't been raided this year which should make them happy.

Frankston - Lost Rich (Williamstown) and McCarthy (Port Melbourne) aswell as Lok to the Zebras. Gained young ruckman Kennedy from the Western Jets. Who else have they signed/lost? They've kept Fordham and Newman which is good.

Port Melbourne - McCarthy in from Dolphins, Holmes and Jansen from North Melbourne are good gets. They've signed Jarryd Blair's Brother. Signed a German guy too...anything else? They need some youth to be breaking through don't they? They lost Lange, Tynan and Haretuku, all to local footy. Did they sign a young player from Collingwood VFL aswell?

Werribee - Matt Lobbe has signed with them according to Paul Amy. He'd be the best standalone ruckman now that Meese is gone from the comp. When do they announce Jye Bolton? I've heard good things about the players they will soon announce. Lost Riccardi in the draft. Flag tilt? Imagine Bolton, Gribble, Barlow, Hanson and Lobbe through the midfield.

Williamstown - Have lost the most talent so far with Meese, Kennedy, Masters and Wheeler all leaving to local footy and Hibberd being drafted. They haven't announced a single new signing yet have they? Calm before the storm?

Bessa

Cancelled
Feb 26, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
News from the past few days.....

Willy have signed Paul Hunter from Adelaide FC, never played an AFL game, is the ruckman to replace Meese.

Coburg have gone bang, bang, bang....Callum Moore from Richmond, Hedley Smith and Sam Lowson re-signed, D'Intinosante announced today too. Plus they announced their coaching setup which includes Brent Macaffer. Well done Lions.

Apparently, Willy threw the kitchen sink at Lowson. Shame on them.....can't spot or deliver their own talent as usual.

Werribee?? Very quiet, will announce Connor Menadue soon?

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
News from the past few days.....

Willy have signed Paul Hunter from Adelaide FC, never played an AFL game, is the ruckman to replace Meese.

Coburg have gone bang, bang, bang....Callum Moore from Richmond, Hedley Smith and Sam Lowson re-signed, D'Intinosante announced today too. Plus they announced their coaching setup which includes Brent Macaffer. Well done Lions.

Apparently, Willy threw the kitchen sink at Lowson. Shame on them.....can't spot or deliver their own talent as usual.

Werribee?? Very quiet, will announce Connor Menadue soon?

Can't spot their own talent? With Box Hill, Willy dominated the Development league for many years.

Willy generally do their work after the AFL draft so expect some signings soon.

Surprised Wheeler has gone, not sure how old he was, but wondering whether his interesting GF had anything to do with his decision?

Bessa

Cancelled
Feb 26, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why a stand alone focus? The comp is compromised whether we like it or not.
No doubt its compromised, go to a generic VFL thread to talk about the AFL reserves. This is a place for the traditional fans that still love their old VFA club though. The reason for a seperate thread is so we can all easily identify with who, like me is left in this world!

Rustyrich

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Whereabouts are North Ballarat at? They have been locked out and can't get a re-entry. Is it that bad over there?

Bessa

Cancelled
Feb 26, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Can't spot their own talent? With Box Hill, Willy dominated the Development league for many years.

Willy generally do their work after the AFL draft so expect some signings soon.

Surprised Wheeler has gone, not sure how old he was, but wondering whether his interesting GF had anything to do with his decision?
Look at their recruiting from over the past few years, you can connect the dots.
Whereabouts are North Ballarat at? They have been locked out and can't get a re-entry. Is it that bad over there?
They'll never be back. was the wrong time to have a sabbatical given the AFL "reserves" discussion. Frankston got lucky they had theirs one year earlier.

No doubt its compromised, go to a generic VFL thread to talk about the AFL reserves. This is a place for the traditional fans that still love their old VFA club though. The reason for a seperate thread is so we can all easily identify with who, like me is left in this world!
I just feel like it's easier to just have it all together is all. I love my Burgers through and through

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Look at their recruiting from over the past few years, you can connect the dots.

Without the development league how do stand alones develop their own talent anymore?

They need to recruit ready to play VFL standard footballers to be successful. No use grooming a talented group of 18 yos any more.

The AFL want talented 18yos playing NAB League.

Bessa

Cancelled
Feb 26, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Without the development league how do stand alones develop their own talent anymore?

They need to recruit ready to play VFL standard footballers to be successful. No use grooming a talented group of 18 yos any more.

The AFL want talented 18yos playing NAB League.
I still think there's room to do both if it's done well. The AFL teams that the VFL teams play against have 18 year old's playing each week don't they?

Fixture to be released Friday according to Paul Amy. The VFL are considering a 5-5-5 system with the top 5 of last year getting each other twice, middle 5 and bottom 5 etcetera. Which would be:

Richmond, Willy, Essendon, Port, Footscray (virtue of finishing higher in H/A)

Werribee, Geelong, Box Hill, Casey, Preston

Collingwood, Sandringham, North Melbourne, Coburg, Frankston

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Fixture to be released Friday according to Paul Amy. The VFL are considering a 5-5-5 system with the top 5 of last year getting each other twice, middle 5 and bottom 5 etcetera. Which would be:

Pretty stupid if they go that way, no team should be getting both of Coburg and Frankston twice let alone AFL reserve teams.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

Fair enough, would prefer Port, Willy, Werribee, Frankston and Coburg meet each other twice to keep the VFA flavour.

Then Richmond, Essendon, Footscray, Geelong and Collingwood as AFL Reserves teams meeting twice, then North, Box Hill, Casey, Northern Blues and Sandringham meeting twice as aligned clubs (adding North of course).

Pretty stupid if they go that way, no team should be getting both of Coburg and Frankston twice let alone AFL reserve teams.
I think it's smart, plus I think Coburg will be better than Preston next season anyway.
Fair enough, would prefer Port, Willy, Werribee, Frankston and Coburg meet each other twice to keep the VFA flavour.

Then Richmond, Essendon, Footscray, Geelong and Collingwood as AFL Reserves teams meeting twice, then North, Box Hill, Casey, Northern Blues and Sandringham meeting twice as aligned clubs (adding North of course).
Interesting way to do it. However I like the way this is. The strongest play off.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
I think it's smart, plus I think Coburg will be better than Preston next season anyway.

Interesting way to do it. However I like the way this is. The strongest play off.
VFL hasn't exactly been smart when it comes to fixturing anyway, they have had 6 weeks since the release of the AFL fixture and they will still find ways to schedule games for AFL reserve teams on a sunday leading into a thursday/friday game the following week for the AFL team.

They will also find ways to schedule reserve games at the same time as AFL games.

And they should up the season to 20 games IMO, what's the point of having 4 or 5 praccy games leading into the season when you could be having home and away games.

VFL hasn't exactly been smart when it comes to fixturing anyway, they have had 6 weeks since the release of the AFL fixture and they will still find ways to schedule games for AFL reserve teams on a sunday leading into a thursday/friday game the following week for the AFL team.

They will also find ways to schedule reserve games at the same time as AFL games.

And they should up the season to 20 games IMO, what's the point of having 4 or 5 praccy games leading into the season when you could be having home and away games.
Ground availability due to District or Sub District Cricket I think. Essendon usually can't host until late April and I think Casey also share with a district club.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Ground availability due to District or Sub District Cricket I think. Essendon usually can't host until late April and I think Casey also share with a district club.
But they still find grounds to have practice matches on, Richmond don't share with cricket, pies don't, North don't, is Essendon's tulla centre unavailable, play Sandringham at Moorabbin, no cricket at Frankston etc. No reason not to extend to 20 games.

But they still find grounds to have practice matches on, Richmond don't share with cricket, pies don't, North don't, is Essendon's tulla centre unavailable, play Sandringham at Moorabbin, no cricket at Frankston etc. No reason not to extend to 20 games.
Essendon don't actually host practice matches at all. Port, Willy, Werribee, Coburg all have subbies grounds. Tulla doesn't host because there's no PT and they don't have a lot of seating.

Essendon don't actually host practice matches at all. Port, Willy, Werribee, Coburg all have subbies grounds. Tulla doesn't host because there's no PT and they don't have a lot of seating.

Tills doesn’t host as there aren’t any facilities.

Until they get that grant.

Pushed back to next week now.

Back