Best Grand Final moments of the 2010s

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
My moment (not highlight) of 2011 was Podsiadly getting crunched and doing his shoulder. Game stopped for a bit and he was subbed out for Mitch Duncan. I remember thinking that it was a big moment as Hawkins hadn't really set the world on fire and Mooney hadn't played most games that year and was watching on. Then lo and behold Porkins comes out and kicks 3 goals in the third quarter and has been a consistently good key forward since.

You should start a FB petition to have the result changed....
You enjoy watching Rioli’s highlights over the last 4 years coz there won’t be any more.

You enjoy watching Rioli’s highlights over the last 4 years coz there won’t be any more.

What, has something happened to Daniel Rioli that we don't know of?

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
As the title is "Best grand final moment of 2010s", not moments, it can only be the Sheed goal and by a country mile.

Everyone's calling it Sheed's goal but I think the entire passage of play was sublime. It wasn't just Sheed. His was the icing on the cake of an unbelievably difficult kick. There were a number of plays leading up to it that make it one of the greatest passages of play I have seen (given the nature of the game etc...).

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Rules completely ignored so the most unfair/incorrect decision for the decade. Played on too but umpire managed to miss that too.

I agree. If the umpires were in officious Round 1 mode it would have been a free kick, to Rioli.

Speaking of "putting the whistle away, it's the GF" how about that (non)holding the ball against Jeremy Howe in the goal square? :)

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Everyone's calling it Sheed's goal but I think the entire passage of play was sublime. It wasn't just Sheed. His was the icing on the cake of an unbelievably difficult kick. There were a number of plays leading up to it that make it one of the greatest passages of play I have seen (given the nature of the game etc...).

The passage was awesome. McGovern to Vary to Ryan to Sheed to goal. McGovern leaves his man to impact the contest and takes the mark then plays on, Vardy presents and marks then turns around and plays on, Ryan takes the hanger, gets the ball back from Langdon and plays on, Sheed marks then slots the set shot from the boundary. That plays out 100 times and it can't all come together more than once or twice.

Underrated is the chase by Cripps to force Treloar to kick on his left under pressure. If Treloar is able to kick on his right there's every chance the ball goes over the back to De Goey who was lurking behind McGovern and it's game over.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Nah. Only counts when the pies are the aggrieved party
I agree. If the umpires were in officious Round 1 mode it would have been a free kick, to Rioli.

Speaking of "putting the whistle away, it's the GF" how about that (non)holding the ball against Jeremy Howe in the goal square? :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dom Sheed's easily the most clutch and probably gets the nod.

Boyd's huge goal is iconic in it's own right - especially the image afterwards with Toby Mclean hanging off his back (and the memes where the Titanic music plays in the background).
The back story makes it even more special (gaining Boyd after losing our captain to GWS, Morris's tackle set up the goal and he was playing with two fractured vertebrae, the drought since 54, etc).

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.

Rules completely ignored so the most unfair/incorrect decision for the decade. Played on too but umpire managed to miss that too.
Totally agree. Maynard getting Rioli high before the ball was even anywhere near them should've been a kick to Rioli.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Dom Sheed's easily the most clutch and probably gets the nod.

Boyd's huge goal is iconic in it's own right - especially the image afterwards with Toby Mclean hanging off his back (and the memes where the Titanic music plays in the background).
The back story makes it even more special (gaining Boyd after losing our captain to GWS, Morris's tackle set up the goal and he was playing with two fractured vertebrae, the drought since 54, etc).
I liked it when Picken sealed it from square

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Each Grand Final has a special moment each decade.

Here are mine’s for the 2010s

2010 draw - Goddard’s Mark, Milne’s bouncing ball
2010 replay - Heath Shaw’s smother of the century
2011 - Meatloaf’s forgettable entertainment. Cats win 3 flags in 3 odd-numbered years
2012 - Malceski’s snap, Jetta and Cyril on the GSS
2013 - Freo’s first GF. Other than that
2014 - Hawks thump red-hot favourites Sydney to go b2b
2015 - Hawthorn wins a three-peat, Hodgey’s goal on the Olympic Stand wing
2016 - Morris tackles Buddy, Tom Boyd’s snap and goal, Bulldogs break drought, Bob and Bevo after the siren
2017 - Richmond breaks 37 year drought, The Killers and Jack Riewoldt
2018 - Dom Sheed sinks the Pies
2019 - Marlion Pickett’s debut, GWS in first Grand Final.

2013: Isaac Smith's unexpected 60m bomb into the wind. 'It's a big kick, it's a massive kick.... it's one for the ages!'
2014: Hodge Kisses Buddy. Hodge intercepts Rohan's kick out and seals the game half way through the second quarter.

For fans of the Hawks, those are the everlasting moments from those flags. You nailed 2015.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Am I only the person that thinks the 2013 grand final is a little underrated? Not the most skillful game but (if memory serves correctly) there were a few pretty big momentum swings throughout the day. If Freo converted better when they had momentum it could have gone down as a classic.

Second half was Freo 7.8.50 to Hawthorn 5.5.35. It really opened up and if you were a Hawks coming off the heartache from 12 months prior it was as nerve wracking as any game we have been apart of.

What, Darling shitting himself on the goal line again?

Can be excused given:

a) Without his third quarter (7 marks, 5 of them contested, and a goal) we may not have stayed close
b) His 2019 was phenomenal with a well deserved maiden All Australian selection
a) He still has a premiership medal in the trophy cabinet along with his 21 teammates on the day

Can be excused given:

a) Without his third quarter (7 marks, 5 of them contested, and a goal) we may not have stayed close
b) His 2019 was phenomenal with a well deserved maiden All Australian selection
a) He still has a premiership medal in the trophy cabinet
Very quick :p I decided an inebriated response wasn’t ideal.

Shaw won us the game halfway through the first. Not enough can be said about how important that smother was in the context of the remainder of the game.

The passage was awesome. McGovern to Vary to Ryan to Sheed to goal. McGovern leaves his man to impact the contest and takes the mark then plays on, Vardy presents and marks then turns around and plays on, Ryan takes the hanger, gets the ball back from Langdon and plays on, Sheed marks then slots the set shot from the boundary. That plays out 100 times and it can't all come together more than once or twice.

Underrated is the chase by Cripps to force Treloar to kick on his left under pressure. If Treloar is able to kick on his right there's every chance the ball goes over the back to De Goey who was lurking behind McGovern and it's game over.
That was an utterly depressing read :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back