Strange player number behaviour

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumping this to ask a question I asked on the main board:

Bradley Hill and Blake Acres not only swapped teams in a trade, they’ve also swapped jumper numbers. Hill got Acres’ number 8 at St Kilda and Acres is in Hill’s 9 at Freo.

Has that happened previously? I’m sure it must have, but nothing is coming to mind.

Brodie Smith joins the Worn 2 jumpers , and in the same match

He wore 26 in the first half because his jumper was not packed/found. He wore 33 his original number after half time - Round 18 v Essendon

Is Darren McAsey related to Fisher McAsey drafted by the AFC?

Brodie Smith joins the Worn 2 jumpers , and in the same match

He wore 26 in the first half because his jumper was not packed/found. He wore 33 his original number after half time - Round 18 v Essendon

Is Darren McAsey related to Fisher McAsey drafted by the AFC?
Apparently! I knew his (Fischer's) father had played the one game for St Kilda:
1576070126072.png

Alan McAsey played 3 games for Footscray.

Last edited:

Bradley Hill and Blake Acres not only swapped teams in a trade, they’ve also swapped jumper numbers. Hill got Acres’ number 8 at St Kilda and Acres is in Hill’s 9 at Freo.

Has that happened previously? I’m sure it must have, but nothing is coming to mind.

Not exactly what you're asking, but Robert Walls wore #9 when he finished at Fitzroy and John Northey #9 at Richmond. They swapped clubs as coaches at the end of 1995.

I wouldn't have thought that was a scenario that was plausible enough to assume that it 'must have happened'

I'd be more surprised if it has happened before than if it hasn't -

With the number of multi-player trades that have happened in the last 30 years I thought it would have occurred at least once before.

Off the top of my head I can think of three trades WCE has been involved in that got halfway there:
- Judd took Kennedy’s #5 at Carlton
- Metropolis took Greg Harding’s #3 at Freo
- Jarrod Schofield took Cummings’ #6 at Port.

Rex Hunt - #5 at Richmond.
Gareth Andrews - #6 at Geelong.

Both played the first 7 rounds for their respective clubs.

Traded for each other after Rd 7 (mid-season trades were not uncommon back then.

Rd 8 on-

Rex Hunt - #6 at Geelong
Gareth Andrews - #5 at Richmond.

Interestingly, both were big, lumbering, handy, not-quite-good-enough-to-be-a-KPP great clubmen who got the odd jobs. It would be difficult to find two players in the league more similar, so what the trade achieved for either club is uncertain.

Since Geelong finished 6th and Richmond won the Flag, I think Gareth got the better end of the trade.

Rex Hunt - #5 at Richmond.
Gareth Andrews - #6 at Geelong.

Both played the first 7 rounds for their respective clubs.

Traded for each other after Rd 7 (mid-season trades were not uncommon back then.

Rd 8 on-

Rex Hunt - #6 at Geelong
Gareth Andrews - #5 at Richmond.

Interestingly, both were big, lumbering, handy, not-quite-good-enough-to-be-a-KPP great clubmen who got the odd jobs. It would be difficult to find two players in the league more similar, so what the trade achieved for either club is uncertain.

Since Geelong finished 6th and Richmond won the Flag, I think Gareth got the better end of the trade.
Good get.

I think that trade only happened because Rex Hunt was transferred to Geelong for his day job first (policeman).

And to clarify Miguel's question, I think he means that the swapped players both literally took each other's old guernsey.

On LG-K500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good get.

I think that trade only happened because Rex Hunt was transferred to Geelong for his day job first (policeman).

And to clarify Miguel's question, I think he means that the swapped players both literally took each other's old guernsey.

On LG-K500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well considering Acres is 11cms taller and 13kgs heavier I doubt if they took each others exact jersey :D . Although Rexy and Gareth might - they were the same height and similar weight (and importantly, jumpers weren't skin-tight back then).

I think you're right about Rex getting a transfer to Geelong. I imagine the trade deal was done something like this:

Richmond: Hey Geelong, you can have Rex since he's working down there now',
Geelong: 'But we've already got a big, slow, lumbering log! We don't need 2 of them!'
Richmond: 'Hey, I've just had a great idea.............................................................'

Any knowledge of players returning to their original club and getting the same number they had when they were previously there?

This season was obviously Eddie Betts, but has it happened in the past?

Any knowledge of players returning to their original club and getting the same number they had when they were previously there?

This season was obviously Eddie Betts, but has it happened in the past?

Peter Bell returned to the #32 he wore in Freo’s first season when he returned in 2001.

Trent Croad went straight back into the #24 at Hawthorn after two years in the west.

Has there ever been a first yr player score a single digit number
( start up clubs excluded )

From your own club and off the top of my head: Andrew Walker (1), Jack Silvagni (2), Paddy Dow (2), Marc Murphy (3), Bryce Gibbs (4), Lachie O’Brien (4), Josh Kennedy (5), Sam Petrevski-Seton (5), Kade Simpson (6), Dylan Buckley (7), Matt Kreuzer (8) were all given single digit numbers when drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back