Official Club Stuff Old cats logo

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Hi all,

I was looking at old Cats logos and I found this lovely monogram (I do love a good monogram) for sale on eBay - it looks like it's a season member ticket.
Anyway, i thought I would try and recreate it for anyone who wants it - note i added 1859 because that's a nifty year :)

1576204456705.png

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi all,

I was looking at old Cats logos and I found this lovely monogram (I do love a good monogram) for sale on eBay - it looks like it's a season member ticket.
Anyway, i thought I would try and recreate it for anyone who wants it - note i added 1859 because that's a nifty year :)

View attachment 793192
I remember that on my Junior Membership Ticket in the 50s.
The Tickets were printed by Bob Davis and Bernie Smith's printery at one stage.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
when did they go the next one... I can remember a membership from the 60's my father had kept that had a different design
Don't remember, Turbo, I just remember that one because Dad used to hand ours to my brother and me to hold as soon as we got in the ute to head to Geelong every second week.
Then grab them back the moment we got through the gate! :D

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't remember, Turbo, I just remember that one because Dad used to hand ours to my brother and me to hold as soon as we got in the ute to head to Geelong every second week.
Then grab them back the moment we got through the gate! :D

It was something like this logo

GFC.png

..embossed on a thick Blue ticket .. My father a Melb supporter but being in Geelong had a couple of years as a GFC member.. bit different now ... probably apt that its plastic ..suits the era.

I remember that on my Junior Membership Ticket in the 50s.
The Tickets were printed by Bob Davis and Bernie Smith's printery at one stage.
if you remember that from your membership ticket in the 50's that means.....

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
On the Pivotonians...

Geelong Pivotonians

THE good people of Geelong had two questions in 1878: What was wrong with Argyle Paddock and what the hell is a Pivotonian?
Around the same time that the footy club shifted its base from Newtown’s Argyle Paddock to Corio Oval in East Geelong, the nickname “Pivotonians” became common ground.

Originally nicknamed the Seagulls for the team’s coastal location and their penchant for being chip-stealing pests, someone decided a much more pretentious and cumbersome nickname was needed — and the Pivotonians were born.

Supposedly named due to Geelong’s pivotal point for shipping and rail in Victoria, the nickname stuck until 1923, when a cartoon in the Herald depicting an incident involving a stray black cat in a Geelong huddle sparked the change...

I can't find a logo online at all. I also didn't know we previously were the Geelong Seagulls!

On the Pivotonians...

I can't find a logo online at all. I also didn't know we previously were the Geelong Seagulls!
Don't think of them quite like the marketing 'mascots' they are today.

Most of the earlier nicknames of early clubs were just that. Slang to either call from the terraces or were used in the papers in match reports so they didn't have to use "Geelong" each time.

So the club was never the "Geelong Seagulls", rather 'Geelong Football Club', aka 'The Seagulls'. I mean it's only been recently that the club has decided to brand itself "Geelong Cats".

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
And here was me thinking Pivotonians had to do with beer... Does anyone have a copy of the Herald cartoon?

Im sure I have seen it posted the cartoon in our history thread....

EDIT:....

post 62...

Basketball till today has the Pivot City side ... the pivot name has been linked to geelong for a long time... and of course we still have the Pivots ..suits and ties etc...

Last edited:

An Individual

Debutant
May 16, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Im sure I have seen it posted the cartoon in our history thread....

EDIT:....

post 62...

Basketball till today has the Pivot City side ... the pivot name has been linked to geelong for a long time... and of course we still have the Pivots ..suits and ties etc...
Cheers for that! Have a pivo on me :beermug: ;)

Back