Opinion Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've changed your tune.

I remember the Ashes when you were bagging him out big time, calling him useless and calling for his head. 🙂
Yep his footwork was terrible and shouldn’t have been picked. You could see it in the ODI’s but all credit to him on his return.

I think the guy is a peanut, but his footwork and placement this summer has been brilliant.

But not a word about the SACA producing 500 runs per innings, nor the old WACA producing pitches that have balls rise off a full length!.

West Australian batsmen complaining about that pitch? Kim Hughes would be pissing himself!
Complaining about Adelaide Oval pitches? Are you for real???

Sad to hear if the passing of Bob Willis at 70. He had many great moments in Ashes series against us and as a commentator had a delightfully dry sense of humour. RIP Bob

well said Groucho
its a sobering thought when the cricket heros of your childhood start passing away.

I've got a lot of memories of Bob coming off that ridiculously long run up looking more like a maths professor than a test cricketer. But gee when he got it right he was quick and awkward.

Aussie v New Zealand
whats going to happen ?

NZ has been pretty strong for the last decade really. They are now the second ranked test side. But most NZ fans don't take much notice of that . We've played Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh so often that our players are now fluent in Hindi and Urdhu.

How can NZ win ?
Lots of runs to Williamson and Taylor
Solid opening partnerships to blunt the Aussie quicks
Somehow cobble together 20 wickets. Fergusson is in the side and just about the quickest bloke on both sides of the Tasman, but hasn't played a test. Boult and Southee are quality, but Southee is getting old fast, and Boult hasn't been at his best for a while now. Probably best chance with the pink ball.

How can Aussie win ?
probably got just about the best pace attack you've ever had. Starc looks a much better bowler this year.Cummins is just quality as is Hazelwood.
Smith gets out of his slump.
Other batsmen contribute.
Nathan Lyon

Aussie would be very warm favourites. No Kiwi cricketer has played test cricket at any of the venues. It will also be difficult coming from the horrible slow pitches we played England on, to Perth.
But a number of gritty performers in the NZ side ,plus a couple of world class performers in Williamson and Taylor.
so you never know your luck !

Aussie v New Zealand
whats going to happen ?

NZ has been pretty strong for the last decade really. They are now the second ranked test side. But most NZ fans don't take much notice of that . We've played Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh so often that our players are now fluent in Hindi and Urdhu.

How can NZ win ?
Lots of runs to Williamson and Taylor
Solid opening partnerships to blunt the Aussie quicks
Somehow cobble together 20 wickets. Fergusson is in the side and just about the quickest bloke on both sides of the Tasman, but hasn't played a test. Boult and Southee are quality, but Southee is getting old fast, and Boult hasn't been at his best for a while now. Probably best chance with the pink ball.

How can Aussie win ?
probably got just about the best pace attack you've ever had. Starc looks a much better bowler this year.Cummins is just quality as is Hazelwood.
Smith gets out of his slump.
Other batsmen contribute.
Nathan Lyon

Aussie would be very warm favourites. No Kiwi cricketer has played test cricket at any of the venues. It will also be difficult coming from the horrible slow pitches we played England on, to Perth.
But a number of gritty performers in the NZ side ,plus a couple of world class performers in Williamson and Taylor.
so you never know your luck !

Smith gets out of his slump. 😁😁😁😁

I'd love his slump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Classy Tonne from Labuschagne.

Decent starts from Smith & Warner.

Smith fell for a really obvious trap, very surprising from him.

Southee with an absolute gem of an inswinger to dismiss Wade!

Been a good days play. Evenly poised.

Test cricket is so much better when they don't play on roads.

Classy Tonne from Labuschagne.

Decent starts from Smith & Warner.

Smith fell for a really obvious trap, very surprising from him.

Southee with an absolute gem of an inswinger to dismiss Wade!
Labushagne looks very tidy at this level. Reminds me of a young Kallis. Upright, still and strong in the forearms. Pretty good temperament also. To think, he wasn't in our First Ashes Test. Highlights the high rewards on offer in taking a punt on talent rather than persisting with the grinders. A lesson for us I reckon.

Been a good days play. Evenly poised.

Test cricket is so much better when they don't play on roads.
spot on Spider. NZ bowled very well on a pitch that didn't offer a lot, but the ball swung a little all day . Wagner showed how much he's matured in the last couple of years as a bowler.
Aussie batted very well too,(Labuschange was exceptional) so a bit of a stalemate

Santner got a few to really go too, so not looking good for NZ batting last !

Labushagne looks very tidy at this level. Reminds me of a young Kallis. Upright, still and strong in the forearms. Pretty good temperament also. To think, he wasn't in our First Ashes Test. Highlights the high rewards on offer in taking a punt on talent rather than persisting with the grinders. A lesson for us I reckon.

we when originally picked him for his first test I thought it reeked of desperation. But someone obviously noticed the raw talent. He had a fair few issues with his batting early days, but he has ironed most of those out now. He looks steadfast.

I'm telling ya now, and I've been saying it for years, Marcus Labuschagne is a serious batsman of the highest order. I've never been one to tell people "I told you so" and so I'll refrain from doing that here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back