Player Watch Dayne Beams - Steps away from footy to deal with mental health.

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor call by Collingwood’s list management team giving up multiple first round picks despite their midfield depth and the well known issues that came with Beams to the club.

Huge tunnel vision.
Yep, that’s the hindsight view that’s so powerful on drafting and recruiting. Some think their list managers are God’s because of what they trade on paper at the time.

Supporters can laud the decision at the time, but it’s all about how it ends up.

Adding Beams to a star studded midfield that was one goal short of a flag seemed a good move. All in, but their time was now.

That said, there’s still time for them for Beams to impact on the field and jag a flag. He’s a gun when fit.

Yep, that’s the hindsight view that’s so powerful on drafting and recruiting. Some think their list managers are God’s because of what they trade on paper at the time.

Supporters can laud the decision at the time, but it’s all about how it ends up.

Adding Beams to a star studded midfield that was one goal short of a flag seemed a good move. All in, but their time was now.

That said, there’s still time for them for Beams to impact on the field and jag a flag. He’s a gun when fit.

How else are you supposed to judge trading?

Collingwood had no pressing need to bring him in due their wealth of midfielders - especially offensive players - yet they were happy to part with multiple high picks, a reasonable contract and sacrifice a list position for a player with well publicised issues.

Adding Beams was not a good move, it was a sentimental and blinkered one that had no real benefit, and is now an actively detracting from Collingwood.

Collingwood had no pressing need to bring him in due their wealth of midfielders - especially offensive players - yet they were happy to part with multiple high picks, a reasonable contract and sacrifice a list position for a player with well publicised issues.

Adding Beams was not a good move, it was a sentimental and blinkered one that had no real benefit, and is now an actively detracting from Collingwood.
Thinking this through from Collingwood perspective they had come off a grand final loss where one of their prime movers was completely shut down (Sidebottom) and they lost the midfield battle to West Coast. Adding another skilled mid probably sounded appealing.

Not saying was the best call but there's a logic there

He's walked away from football and the money from what he has said. He would still be getting paid something but sounds like not full contract value.

Collingwood took a risk and lost, thats their fault and they are paying for it.

Its a tough gig playing AFL especially for a big club.

No one here knows the full story so jumping to conclusions and being critical is dangerous.

Saying that there are tens of thousands of people who struggke with mental illness and have nowhere near the support and income of AFL footballers. A trip to Cambodia or a remote indigenous community might help him realise just how luck he is.
Where has he said he wont be taking the money ?
Have not seen that at all

Thinking this through from Collingwood perspective they had come off a grand final loss where one of their prime movers was completely shut down (Sidebottom) and they lost the midfield battle to West Coast. Adding another skilled mid probably sounded appealing.

Not saying was the best call but there's a logic there

I didn’t see Richmond chasing another high caliber midfielder after being pantsed by Collingwood’s midfield the week before, and it’s also easy to forget West Coast were missing their best midfielder for the GF in Gaff which also compromised their midfield.

Sidebottom being invisible in the Granny should never have factored into their thinking at all.

Some judge list managers on the potential of players they brought in, not the results they have achieved to date.

Collingwood were a kick from a flag. Bringing Beams in would have let Pendles rotate through half back with stints in the middle. It was a solid move that hasn’t paid off one year into four years. Still time for them though.

I didn’t see Richmond chasing another high caliber midfielder after being pantsed by Collingwood’s midfield the week before, and it’s also easy to forget West Coast were missing their best midfielder for the GF in Gaff which also compromised their midfield.

Sidebottom being invisible in the Granny should never have factored into their thinking at all.

Ummm, he may not be a midfielder, but Richmond went to great length to secure Tom Lynch.

West Coast tried to secure Tim Kelly, however would have to wait until 2019.

Clubs are always looking for a player that can add something to their list.

Like some others I personally thought that Collingwood's issues isn't their midfield but a true KPF, so was never really sure what the problem was that the addition of Beams was meant to solve.

Feel for Collingwood and their supporters in this.

Will sit on social media now hoping to get into arguments with 1 out of 100 who pot him the bloke is immature fukwit.

Rocked upto training first day with the book "The subtle art of not giving a fu**" then a week later gets dropped by New Balance and shits all over them on Instagram.

I never wanted him back, I have always seen the s**t stain he is, hope you get well Beama but that won't happen until you make life changes.

Plot twist is that it's actually a self help book.

Full title is The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plot twist is that it's actually a self help book.

Full title is The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life.

Geez it worked, I ask you did he have to make sure everyone saw him walking in the club with it?

Geez it worked, I ask you did he have to make sure everyone saw him walking in the club with it?

That is Dayne being Dayne. He is a caustic individual who always finds a way to get himself in strife and is more than willing to throw good will back in people's faces when they try to help him. Then he wonders why he suffers from challenges with his mood/wellbeing.

The guy is toxic and Collingwood should have known better than to welcome him back with open arms. Now they have given up 2 first rounders and a chunk of salary cap for a player who simply doesn't know how to help himself, and doesn't appear to want to learn from his own experiences.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice.....

So based on all the inner circle experts on this thread, hes a drug addict, gambler that deserves zero sympathy, and stiff s**t that his old man died, get over it? Who the * really knows what the issues are. Its common knowledge hes agot a gambling problem, but i doubt that's the sole issue here. Hes clearly going through some serious s**t, so speculating on every possible cause without knowing achieves nothing.

Whilst i would like to give him the time and respect for 'Genuine' mental illness i am starting to question Beams motives to an extent
And who are you to say what is a genuine mental illness? Why do you feel the need to cast doubt on him by using inverted commas? Mental health issues can strike in different ways at different times and I'm certain neither you, nor I, nor anyone else commenting knows the whole story or the complexity of Beams' emotions.

Last edited:
Not sure why he got himself traded if his mental health was as bad as it is. Moving to Melbourne may have seemed like the good option at the time for him, who knows.

One thing with coming to Melbourne and especially going to Collingwood is putting yourself into the spotlight which he has done.

One would have to wonder if he was better off staying at Brisbane. He probably feels guilty for putting the Pies into the position he has.

Not sure why he got himself traded if his mental health was as bad as it is. Moving to Melbourne may have seemed like the good option at the time for him, who knows.

One thing with coming to Melbourne and especially going to Collingwood is putting yourself into the spotlight which he has done.

One would have to wonder if he was better off staying at Brisbane. He probably feels guilty for putting the Pies into the position he has.
Id say he was struggling and hoped getting back to a place he was happy originally might have been his thinking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back